Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Met Office forecast for my location between 3-6am has changed from snow to sleet :(

I dunno it feels like snow tonight, I will predict yes.

Posted

Fog has deposited ice crystals, all surfaces covered in white

I'm hoping for all surfaces to be covered in white as well!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Chances of snow ? Timings? Worth getting up for?

Posted

I heard Manchester was closed or partially operating at least due to restricted visibility along the runway. Haven't heard anything go over since 7pm'ish so no idea what the current state of play is, but looking out the window there's a dense fog-bank peaking to at least 230m in the valley below. The tops of the hills and the moonlight shining bright here above.

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.

I heard Manchester was closed or partially operating at least due to restricted visibility along the runway. Haven't heard anything go over since 7pm'ish so no idea what the current state of play is, but looking out the window there's a dense fog-bank peaking to at least 230m in the valley below. The tops of the hills and the moonlight shining bright here above.

Yes it's been foggy here since this morning, got gradually worse through the day, not any better now out there, very dense.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl

Just tried to put a valid discussion across on the model thread following on from a comment that CreweCold put in (we both opened up discussion on the possibility of less cold temperatures and not favouring a cold spell).

Unfortunately, we were absolutely slaughtered by some rather biased other members.

Anyway, not long now until precipitation should kick in .. question is, what will it fall as?!

Thankfully, living only two miles away from the Pennines, I am 85% confident I will see a covering (despite maybe not my backyard) when I wake up tomorrow.

Would be a perfect way to start the Winter with a covering on the first day!

increasing signs for something similar to this weekend occurring Wednesday-Friday next week also ... roll it on!

In between that, Monday and Tuesday look a bit messy, although I must point out, I have some worries for people wishing to travel over the Peaks, the Pennines, the Dales or the YNM anytime from tomorrow morning until Tuesday.

Monday and Tuesday, whilst looking milder for almost everyone, will certainly not see temperatures high enough for rain on these locations, so I will be watching for closures of the Pennine Passes especially early next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yes it's been foggy here since this morning, got gradually worse through the day, not any better now out there, very dense.

went to Bury from home earlier this evening and left a clear starry night for thick fog

came home and left thick fog for a clear starry night again

its amazing what a couple of hundred feet of altitude can do when it comes to fog

we had some early this morning but since about 9am it's been clear.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

You need to avoid speculating about snow in certain threads due to bias.

I recall last Feb when it looked strongly like (bar 1 or 2 minor models) there would be little snow west of London, south of the M4. I made the mistake of going to the southern regional thread and asserting this claim along with the general discussion thread for the event and had 11 southern members basically call rubbish and say but.. but.. you don't know what your talking about.. Needless to say, i was correct.

Posted

It's got to track over the pennines - might turn to snizzle by the time it reaches our parts. Temps -2c with freezing fog, but I guess they will rise when the front comes through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

After a dip to -1.5c it's now +2.7c and raining, freezing rain at that. Nasty.

Posted

Good luck with the wintry weather fellow snow lovers south of the bordergood.gif

I've got a feeling that the north east could do pretty well, especially with elevation.

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Rain......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Apparently it is snowing in Preston so says a friend living up there.

no it must be dandruff

always thought Tesco's own brand wasn't a patch on Head and Shoulders

seriously I hope it is snowing because we are 30 miles further inland and 900 feet asl higher than Preston

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Rain in carlisle

Hell it was minus 4 earlier!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Temperature slowly creeping up now I think.. it's been relatively steady recently though.

Posted

Its one of those set ups tonight which favours snowfall away from coastal parts in the region, all will depend on the intensity of the precipitation, the heavier the precipitation the greater the level of evaporative cooling even if uppers and dewpoints do look quite marginal for many. The other key factor will be altitude.

Given we are currently sitting at around -3 degrees I am expecting at least a slight cover and if the precipitation is moderate then an inch or more could occur which would be a lovely surprise in the morning on the first day of winter - a white advent very seasonal.

I'm travelling over the Skipton in the morning will be interesting to see the difference in conditions between here and there. It all reminds me a little of the 27th Nov 2010 when we saw our first snowfall of the season a couple of cms overnight on the 26th followed by a very cold frosty day and very cold night with temps down to -10 degrees, tomorrow night could see temps go as low as -10 degrees in Shap but more likely -6/-7 degrees here - still a very cold night, any snow cover will help aid very low temperatures. Incidentally the Sunday 28th Nov saw a frontal snow event, which could occur this Sunday but unlike 2010 the snow will rapidly turn to rain with a quick thaw..

Back to today and it turned out to be a very cold lovely last day to November with temps just nudging to 1 degree but with all the local fields preety much thick white in hoar frost, pity the fells are preety much green below 700m, however, the snowline will be much lower tomorrow and th next few days should bring alot of heavy snow to the fells and some good early winter walking conditions after a quiet November for high level snow.

As a cold snow lover I'm very happy with the outlook..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

-1.4C, still going down. VERY cold with some fog.

A high of 2.4C today which is very cold. Can't see us getting anything but freezing rain though, humidity is 99%