Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 - General Chat

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Would much prefer a winter month (Dec) dominated ny a cold high, frost and rime every night, getting thicker as it goes on, even if no snow, 07 Dec 2010 was a fantastic weather day

Posted

Would much prefer a winter month (Dec) dominated ny a cold high, frost and rime every night, getting thicker as it goes on, even if no snow, 07 Dec 2010 was a fantastic weather day

We had deeper frost that day than any of the snowfalls from that winter, it's ironic how everyone else was banging on about how good it was, and I had to rely on hoar frost to build a snowman? :-/

Posted

I have to say I think people saying Winter is Dec,Jan & Feb is not correct.

For me this time of year feels a lot more like Winter than say last week of Feb ever would.

Of course we do tend to get far more snow in Feb than Nov but then is the meaning of Winter just about snow?!

Surely it's also about dark days, wet and windy etc etc.

Perhaps a more correct terminology would be for Winter to start in mid Nov and end in mid Feb.

Certainly from a joe public pov it's the heart of Winter then.

Posted

Definitely agree with January snowstorm, all of that I think and snowy easterlies, is a pain when they say good news milder weather on the way between mid Nov to Early Feb

Edited by ihatetherain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

off topic but i can't stand it when the weather presenters have a big smile on their face, by telling us its going to be mild for the foreseeable but i suppose thats what joe public wants to hear isn't it.,

It really used to hurt me back in the day when it was the end of a stonker spell and the Atlantic was about to send me back to school, 09 and 10 was a bit of payback but not enough yet.

Posted

I have to say I think people saying Winter is Dec,Jan & Feb is not correct.

For me this time of year feels a lot more like Winter than say last week of Feb ever would.

Of course we do tend to get far more snow in Feb than Nov but then is the meaning of Winter just about snow?!

Surely it's also about dark days, wet and windy etc etc.

Perhaps a more correct terminology would be for Winter to start in mid Nov and end in mid Feb.

Certainly from a joe public pov it's the heart of Winter then.

it might have only been 11c here yesterday but it still felt pleasant to me in the sun, and i suspect next week i will be wearing just a light jacket when it gets up to 14c

Posted

it might have only been 11c here yesterday but it still felt pleasant to me in the sun, and i suspect next week i will be wearing just a light jacket when it gets up to 14c

Same as mid to late Feb then

Posted

That's more to do with the weather now than time of year.

The same conditions are possible in late Feb and the sun will be stronger in the sky.

Posted

He did indeed, I was never disputing that but had he also got the last bit right I'm of firm believe that the winter wouldn't have been viewed nearly as negatively as it is now, unfortunately certain things never quite fell into place for a more prolonged and less marginal cold spell.

I agree. February was very close to delivering something special with the whole country joining in the fun and that would have been enough to make Winter 2011/12 go down as another decent one. As you say though, things just didn't quite work in our favour.

Edited by Don

Posted

That's more to do with the weather now than time of year.

The same conditions are possible in late Feb and the sun will be stronger in the sky.

i know but november does not feel like a wintry month to me whatsoever it feels like autumn, as guess what it is autumn, the trees around here are still in leaf, although they are starting to turn yellow now, its all psychological, people just want winter to get a move on now so they think it should always be cold from now on, its the same in mid feb people want spring to get a move on so if we see 15c they think spring is here, and lose interest if a cold snap in march arrives, when an easterly would probably be better in early march than it would right now, as the uppers would be colder i can show people some GFS runs from last march to prove that, although the march easterly it was showing never came off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I dont like the sound of Jan 84, heard it was cold/zonal, snowfests above 300m, mainly rain at lower levels

Cold and zonal isn't all bad at least you have hope of last min snow events even to low levels.

I'd take my chances blum.gif Last sunday was a prime example with low levels getting caught off guard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Was bored, so I thought I'd check out the long range CFS raw output for a bit of a giggle.....I've got some fantastic new coldies, a beast from the east is on the cards........The only problem being you'll have to wait 4 months for it, or for Torquay Utd to win the FA Cup....which ever's longest ..........lol

post-4149-0-91616400-1352491178_thumb.pn

Posted

ah well i can't find them but there were many GFS runs showing us to have a stonking easterly even for mid march this year, when some people on here think we can't get easterlies in march, as the continent has warmed up

sadly many of those stonking runs were showing in FI and of course it never happened, Feb 1991 blizzard can back me up on that

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

I agree. February was very close to delivering something special with the whole country joining in the fun and that would have been enough to make Winter 2011/12 go down as another decent one. As you say though, things just didn't quite work in our favour.

Yes last Winter was a shame, early February gave us 2 ice days here with a below average CET and a snowfall of 4 inches, but apart from early February being OK it was a disappointing Winter overall, only 2 proper accumulating snow events here, one in December and the one in Feb, still the past is the past and let's not dwell on it too much.

Edited by Alan Medlock Valley

Posted

Yes last Winter was a shame, early February gave us 2 ice days here with a below average CET and a snowfall of 4 inches, but apart from early February being OK it was a disappointing Winter overall, only 2 proper accumulating snow events here, one in December and the one in Feb, still the past is the past and let's not dwell on it too much.

Suprised you got 4 inches from that fall, you are talking about the first Sat in Feb, Lunchtime until around 1900 are'nt you?, i only got 3 inches from that!!!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

Suprised you got 4 inches from that fall, you are talking about the first Sat in Feb, Lunchtime until around 1900 are'nt you?, i only got 3 inches from that!!!.

Yes that's the one - we did quite well, a bit better than was forecast tbf, the lane here was very slushy as well.

Posted

ah well i can't find them but there were many GFS runs showing us to have a stonking easterly even for mid march this year, when some people on here think we can't get easterlies in march, as the continent has warmed up

sadly many of those stonking runs were showing in FI and of course it never happened, Feb 1991 blizzard can back me up on that

Yes, im sure there were some belters in there to mid march, not enough spare time now but i will have a look later or tommorow.

That said though, at no point did i make any of them odds on to veryfy.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

It's extremely premature to be discussing wind direction and upper air temperature, don't you think?

No I don't think it is too early to be discussing the wind direction or the upper air temperature

Edited by EML Network

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just a gentle reminder everyone..This thread is for Winter 2012/13 ....There is a complete sub forum for discussing historic weather

Posted

Cold and zonal isn't all bad at least you have hope of last min snow events even to low levels.

I'd take my chances blum.gif Last sunday was a prime example with low levels getting caught off guard.

yeah, very rarely though, 5th Jan 1998, and tues 8th Jan 2008 it did happen, but would always thaw the next day

Posted

Unfortunately I happened to be on wrong side of marginal during that first event in Feb and had to make do with just freezing rain, the second one wasn't that much better although we did manage to get a few flakes out of it but as you say no point in dwelling on the past.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted

just a gentle reminder everyone..This thread is for Winter 2012/13 ....There is a complete sub forum for discussing historic weather

*Ahem*.......

Posted

I only had 1 day of falling/lying snow Sat 4th Feb around 8cms,