Cold?
IGNORED

Tomasz Schafernaker Returns to the BBC and Met Office

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Tomasz Schafernaker is to return to the BBC after leaving 18 months ago

BBC Weather

I'm really excited to be returning to the Met Office and BBC, I've enjoyed working on some really interesting projects over the last 18 months but I'm pleased to be back working with two of the most respected organisations in the world.

http://www.tomaszsch...BBCWeather.html

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Wonder how long it will be before he makes a gaffe? Hopefully it will be a humorous one like the frozen ball incident instead of the infamous one finger to the presenter(although in fairness, I think it was all tongue in cheek as he and Simon McCoy normally like to have a banter with each other and he was not aware he was going to be on camera).

That said, I like him as a forecaster, enthusiastic and enjoy watching his forecasts. Much rather listen to him over someone like Darren Bett or Louise Lear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Let's hope he doesn't stick twos up at anyone this time rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I like his enthusiasm and he's professional, greatest combination!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Glad to hear he is coming back, loved his enthusiasm. Was gutted when Tomas and Rob McElwee left. Not only should the presenters be knowledgeable but also have some sort of personality imo.

Posted

Really happy he's coming back. Love his personality and of course is excellent eye candy

Ha! was jus gonna say that! At least if the forecast is boring, we can focus our attention on him. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Looks like i'll have to start watching BBC weather broadcasts again.... :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I dont think any of them hold a candle to the 80s forecasters, the last 'great' to leave was Rob McElwee, not saying they are no good, i just found the old school ones much more enjoyable to listen to and watch.

Ian McCaskill was my all time favourite.

Posted

Love Tomasz forecasts, he gets so excited about wild weather. We are lucky in the BBC south east region as both Kaddy and Michael Fish forecast occasionally too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Ian McCaskill and Michael were my faves and seen Rob McElwee a few times too.

However, weather shouldn't be boring and neither should the forecasters. We are people too and are allowed to have fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Thank god! Half the forecasters today are mind numbingly dull, the BBC seemed to get rid of all the good ones. Can't wait to see a few more of his gaffes, always great TV!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Rob McElwee used to offend me everytime he was on screen. Tobin is who I've been missing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I was a fan of the 1980s generation too. Having seen various 1990s forecasts uploaded by Kevin, I found a fair number of them particularly "engaging"- Michael Fish, Ian McCaskill, John Kettley, Richard Edgar and David Lee (the last two are rarely mentioned but I used to really like their forecasts too). Rob McElwee was also good but in relative terms I didn't find him quite as good as the other aforementioned ones.

I don't think the modern weekday-forecast package with its low time allocation, most of which is spent panning around the country in detail at 8am, really gives the presenters the chance to shine, but the Countryfile broadcasts give them more scope to show their skills. I think there's a strong case for Peter Gibbs being the best of today's generation of presenters, but I think of Tomasz Shafernaker as being one of the better ones.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I like listening/watching Peter Gibbs forecasts, very knowledgeable and interesting, especially the countryfile forecasts where forecasters do have a bit more time to explain the meteorology behind some weather set ups. John Hammond is another I find rather interesting to listen to, especially if a cold/snow event is coming up.

Out of interest, does anyone know when Tomasz will make his re-appearance on national TV forecasts?

Also, this Met Office/BBC cuts has really gone down the pan with both Phil Avery and Tomasz returning, may aswell bring back Rob McElwee whilst we are it, be popular with us weather enthusiasts for sure!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Great news, just need Rob, Dan, John, Michael, Barbara, Ian, and Jack to follow suite.

Posted

He hasn't actually been gone as he has been appearing regularly on BBC South East Today for 18 months.

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.

Never found Tomasz a great presenter, he comes across to me as rather smug and patronising when explaining things, I think Rob McElwee, Peter Gibbs and Phil Avery are better presenters overall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Re the TWS posting above, didn't Richard Edger have a major falling out with Bill Giles? (who I don't think has been mentioned above)