Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Torrential rain and very windy here in Sherborne at the moment..feeling quite chilly....wonder if it'll turn to snow?!

Not expecting much to be fair but keep an eye on your AT and DP for now.

The passage of the fronts seems to be sticking close to my previous forecast.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75086-southwest-central-southern-england-regional-discussion/page__st__620#entry2434659

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A strong squall has just passed through here with associated torrential rain, no wintryness to report though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Yup, very miserable as it seems like we have been having this rotten weather since April. Temp 5.8C and still rising. Humidity 93% and DP 4.8C SW breeze is getting up with a recent gust of 17.5mph.

It's festering raining cray.gif

Posted

"Festering", Netweather, srsly? It wasn't that rood a word! blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Not sure if it's rain sleet or snow? Drunk in town where it's rain but it was quite sleety as I left a couple hours ago

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Drove back from Wells about an hour ago and it was seriously lashing down with rain, no trace of wintriness at all but I'm sure I saw a flash of lightening. It was blinking horrible weather but seems to have cleared through now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Snow showers possible as far west as Wiltshire on Tuesday according to Ian.

I think most of us are going to have to wait until the back end of next week for any possible snow when fronts start encroaching from the SW. Can't see the flow being strong enough to deliver showers much further west than Wiltshire.

Posted

Ooer - see Ian F's post in the MOD thread at 23:48. Looking good for the first half of next week w00t.gif

Posted

IIRC that was a channel low. Dorset was forecast serious snowfall but it never really materialised there, instead giving a dump nearer the M4/Bristol area.

That's just of the top of my head anyway, I'm sure someone who knows more will be able to help you better.

Question; where did our 2009 snow come from? Was it an Easterly or N Easterly? I'm thinking the latter?

I remember that setup very well. Delivered nearly 30cm of snow to my area after a 2 hour rain event...

Basically there was a cold front moving South which delivered heavy snow to Scotland and Northern England and Wales during the day. It was forecast to just move south as a rain to back edge snow event.

But I remember the 00z and 06z GFS and ECM that day produced a channel low Just to the SW of Devon, that moved along towards the IOW and Stalled. Meto responded with a Red warning that morning at around 9am. The Cold front moved South and a small Low pressure area formed just over Devon. This brought rain to the SW for a time and Along the South coast. But as it moved further East, it interacted with cold surface temperatures of the continent and a Easterly wind developed. This caused the Low to deepened rapidly and with moisture from the Channel produced very heavy snow on its Eastern and Northern bands.

During the night, the system eventually started to decay and drew in some very cold uppers so the whole Low became a snow fest!

Hope that helps! Would love a repeat of that...

SM

Posted

Squally spell passed through here about an hour ago, I wasn't expecting such fierce winds - did not receive a Met Office warning so i don't know if it was stronger than they expected also. I think gusts peaked at about 50mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Snow showers possible as far west as Wiltshire on Tuesday according to Ian.

I think most of us are going to have to wait until the back end of next week for any possible snow when fronts start encroaching from the SW. Can't see the flow being strong enough to deliver showers much further west than Wiltshire.

hmm now you know we have an easterly... mega_shok.gif

Posted

Lovely Alex Whatisface definitley just upgraded the early morning ppn for the northern parts of central southern England. Rain has now cleared Soton and temps and DP falling away rapidly. Wind peaked with a gust of 22.3mph.

Posted

Strong squall line, in channel about to hit france.

Something to are WNW moving towards us not sure whether it would reach us and how wintry it would end up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

The rain woke me at 4am it was really rattling down. Haven't seen the local forecast but I'm hoping that's it in the way of rain now for the foreseeable?

Also thanks SM for the post about the snowfall in 2009 - you bought it all back to me :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

its been very blustery here all night and still blowing like mad,no rain just blustery...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Ooh yes rain turning to sleet here in Newbury... Saw the BBC weather news this morn and distinct white blobs coming this way.... Right must dash . Have a good day peeps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

Sleet with heavy snowflakes here too. And I went on the school run with no hat or umbrella, therefore I am very cold and very wet now dry.png I wasn't expecting that!

Edited by lynnsim

Posted

Sleet here which turned to snow for a few minutes... Back to sleety snow now. Very exciting for the kids on the school run!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

Well seems my prediction was right. An Atlantic breakdown next week, with snow to rain. Disappointing once again for us in the SW.

Far too early to talk of this, FI is around 120 atm, could go either way yet.