Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion - 05/12/2012

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Latest radar shows the strat of the main band of precipitation just off the Lancashire coast so would expect any members in the Blackpool area to start seeing something wet or white shortly.

This ties in with forecasts which show most areas West of the Pennines under it by lunchtime.

Posted

Cloudy here now with quite strong SSW wind at -1.8C

Windchill is about -7 cold.gif

Not liking the sound of the next couple of weeks, I think we are going to have yet another well below average December.

The worst thing with these severe spells early in winter is the weakness of the sun - so when it's cold there's little compensation of brightness like later in winter.

Posted

Min last night -6.0. Took a while for it to fall with light snow flurries until midnight and a breeze. A few miles inland in a frost hollow, they recorded -9.3, see http://www.dugglenet.org/

Posted

moderate snow here on a keen westerly wind, temp 0.4C. Its all started a lot earlier than I thought, just hope the temperature doesn't rise too much today, could be a decent accumulation by tomorrow morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

sky looks lovely and white somethings telling me most people are going to see snow today hope im right lol :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Think its about 3 degrees here now after a frosty start with a tiny bit of graupel, what looked like snowy clouds coming from the north have disappeared, the skys just white and looks like rain clouds to me, just grey and the temp has risen from at least 0 degrees to 3 but then what would i know! Lol

Oh and a slight breeze developing

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Question here of watching the dew points and temperatures. If it arrives around 11 temps will probably risen enough to ensure rain. Time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A cold morning in Darlington currently -0.3°C the Dew Point is at -5.3°C grey clouds above, this afternoon and evening could be interesting here as snow looks possible rather than rain we shall see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn and Winter

A cold morning in Darlington currently -0.3°C the Dew Point is at -5.3°C grey clouds above, this afternoon and evening could be interesting here as snow looks possible rather than rain we shall see!

I think you maybe spot on with that line of thought...I wish it would wait till I'm on my rest days and a weather warning in force as well. A1 to a total stop later then nea.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Currently -1.6C and the sky has a grey snowy look to it here too, although there remains the question of how much the temperatures will rise as the precipitation approaches- I'm still not expecting much of the white stuff from this.

Meanwhile the model outputs have strengthened the consensus on a "sunshine and snow showers" type of east to north-easterly flow from about T+120 this morning- if the outputs are still looking like that in two days' time then it might be time to start ramping!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I think it snowing in blackpool look at this cam: http://mesoman.camstreams.com/

maybe some flakes of snow just made the camera blurred.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Temp now 0.2C with dp -0.7C. Should fall again with precipitation band, hopefully.

Posted

Cloudy here now with quite strong SSW wind at -1.8C

Windchill is about -7 cold.gif

Not liking the sound of the next couple of weeks, I think we are going to have yet another well below average December.

The worst thing with these severe spells early in winter is the weakness of the sun - so when it's cold there's little compensation of brightness like later in winter.

And the best thing (if you like long lasting snow and ice) about the weakness of the sun in December is that nothing melts quickly. Get to February, even late January, and it's a different story.

Optimum freeze time = late November to early January.

Posted

-0.5C Here at the moment, Dew Point of -2.6C - Think we may just see some of the White Stuff today, before it turns to rain, be nice to see though. Better potential tomorrow I feel, and Sunday, then who knows for next week!

Posted

Temp now 0.2C with dp -0.7C. Should fall again with precipitation band, hopefully.

Hmm, that is not good for us lowlanders. Looks like I can expect the temperature to rise to 3.5-4º before the precipitation arrives, using your temp as a guide. Currently -0.6º

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

snowing in Keswick, Cumbria right now.

Posted

I think it snowing in blackpool look at this cam: http://mesoman.camstreams.com/

maybe some flakes of snow just made the camera blurred.

Damn it! Lol im on my ipad grrrrrrrr and not at home! Still in leyland like had to move out having a new kitchen in so i cant see the cam!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Very cold last night, we were only forecast -4c but the snow cover must of aided a further drop as we bottomed out at -6.1c. Duggleby 10 miles down the road fell to -9.3c which is pretty exceptional. Got a good 2cm covering on all surface's although it looks like it may get washed away later on by the rain :(

Posted

snowing in Keswick, Cumbria right now.

You get around! Lol

Dont worry imnot stalking you :lol: just northwesters stick together, hopefully with snow! Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hmm, that is not good for us lowlanders. Looks like I can expect the temperature to rise to 3.5-4º before the precipitation arrives, using your temp as a guide. Currently -0.6º

That would be true in a showery situation but we're heading for a frontal situation- temperature inversions were a common issue during the previous two frontal events with temperatures near zero at the surface and a couple of degrees higher at higher altitude. However it does mean that even if the temperature doesn't get far above freezing, we could still end up with rain.