Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

hey, might see a lil bit for a while

Hi SC

another season underway in the mad house

BTW it looks ok for you to see some snow tomorrow

C.S

Posted

Really hoping for something special always heared Story's of snow and how bad it used to get been 26 I'm hoping to have my own the winter !!

Edited by Love Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Welcome back matey, another winter another few months of radar and lamp post watching! :-)

thats the one buddy, nice to see you're still on here :) hopefully some good times ahead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Dissappointing i could have used some depth to this cover ! whats tomorrow looking like? snow or rain or both?

got a driving lesson in the afternoon think it may be cancelled...

If I hear you complain about your dusting again I think I'm going to cry. I don't think you realise the potential for mid-month, you live in the NORTH EAST. Pipe down man..

Posted

Hi SC

another season underway in the mad house

BTW it looks ok for you to see some snow tomorrow

C.S

hey mate, its been a while!! yup,another season, in it for the long run haha

Posted

Temp won't go below -0.9C here. Doesn't bode well for tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I'm still expecting a wintry mix from 12:00-18:00 tomorrow, with a little snow either side of those times, although the potential is there for a surprise as we go into the early hours of Friday. Then again, this is no worse than Sunday night for the most part, and that was 80%+ snow here and left a 1cm covering on Monday morning. If anything, the uppers are more conducive to snow this time, but the 528 DAM line retreats briefly, and the dew points rise to freezing or just above. The dew points and surfaces temperatures are the tricky to predict though as evaporative cooling can soon fix them, and I'm not sure whether this snow cover could actually help keep them suppressed despite being restricted to within 5-10 miles of the coast.

Posted

-2.2c just north of you bt

There's an inversion at work here. Pesky thing, must be right on the edge.

Posted

got a driving lesson in the afternoon think it may be cancelled...

Wouldn't bet on it mate the side roads around here are quite bad and there was still a learner knocking about... Brave!

Posted

yes please:

http://www.weatheron...=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

from an IMBY perspective

Edited by swainclubber

Posted

If I hear you complain about your dusting again I think I'm going to cry. I don't think you realise the potential for mid-month, you live in the NORTH EAST. Pipe down man..

You'd be surprised - in early Jan 2010, most of the North East had 30cm of snow, but Teesside only had 5cm for most of it! I think they finally got a big dump the day before the thaw, then it all melted away! I remember the bitterness on New Year's Day when places north of Durham got a large dump from the straight NE'ly, and they somehow avoided it. Coupled with a few hangovers that didn't end well! Oh, and late Jan 2010 was pretty funny as well - once again, Durham northwards had 10cm or so from a surprise streamer coming down from the NNW through Northumberland, and the snow cover lasted into February. It fizzled enroute to Teesside, despite a very juicy radar!

Of course, it can go the other way when its a NNW with snow showers clipping Teesside, although late Jan 2010 was obviously an exception to this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

-0.9c here as well, I wish it would start dropping soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Very good day here for the snow lovers. I'm about a mile and a half inland near the hospital and woke up to the lightest of dustings. Walked to work (right on the coast) and by the time I was halfway there, there was a good covering on all roads including the main A64 down Falsgrave although not snowing at the time. Drivers failing miserably to handle the conditions as usual. Within 10 minutes of walking into the Town Hall, a colleague entered completely white from head to toe. It looked like it was night outside the snow was so heavy for a while. Good snow showers for most of the morning and although down by the coast, the majority melted towards late afternoon, it's frozen over back at home so driving conditions tomorrow should be interesting! Models look interesting for the next few weeks for sure! A few of my colleagues from Whitby are going to be spending quite a bit of time homeworking I think!

Posted

You'd be surprised - in early Jan 2010, most of the North East had 30cm of snow, but Teesside only had 5cm for most of it! I think they finally got a big dump the day before the thaw, then it all melted away! I remember the bitterness on New Year's Day when places north of Durham got a large dump from the straight NE'ly, and they somehow avoided it. Coupled with a few hangovers that didn't end well! Oh, and late Jan 2010 was pretty funny as well - once again, Durham northwards had 10cm or so from a surprise streamer coming down from the NNW through Northumberland, and the snow cover lasted into February. It fizzled enroute to Teesside, despite a very juicy radar!

Of course, it can go the other way when its a NNW with snow showers clipping Teesside, although late Jan 2010 was obviously an exception to this.

I think this time is much different though, check the ECM, UKMO & GFS, all of them are in agreement of a clean Easterly, you lot will get pasted, including Teeside. It's much harder for us in the west to get snow, trust me.

So much potential for you guys!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Didnt mean to moan haha but thanks alza for highlighting my point its annoying when places near you get 5x more and sometimes your left with nothing

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

I think this time is much different though, check the ECM, UKMO & GFS, all of them are in agreement of a clean Easterly, you lot will get pasted, including Teeside. It's much harder for us in the west to get snow, trust me.

So much potential for you guys!

I'm not arguing with the potential, but a clean NE'ly is the ideal way for the North East to get hammered, and somehow Teesside managed to avoid the worst of it in 2010. Mind you, even 5cm would have sounded nice last year!

The 18z is looking good so far, and I'm sure that half of all the good easterlies in the past have delivered to the NW as well. I know Cumbria got 10cm in early December 2010 when the Northeasterly became an easterly and a band of heavy snow pushed in from the east. Not anywhere near as much as the North East, but there aren't many better ways of getting snow in the North West. NW'lies can do it, but they tend to be more hit and miss, and a stalling frontal band of snow is as rare as hens teeth.

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Temp won't go below -0.9C here. Doesn't bode well for tomorrow.

Think the M6 will be the deviding line East of the M6 manchester northwards looks game on

for us west of the M6 looks like a rain/sleet event,not to worry i am working in manchester tomorrow.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I cant be sure because I am now not at home, so have no idea of the temperature, but I imagine, as the wind has died down, the temperature back home is currently around -3C

Posted

Quite a decent covering here this evening and if Im being honest I was not expecting anything. Steady snow showers on and off since around 4 this afternoon, Everywhere is white and crunchy with temperature hovering sround freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I cant be sure because I am now not at home, so have no idea of the temperature, but I imagine, as the wind has died down, the temperature back home is currently around -3C

They are forecasting a harsh frost again tonight, but it isn't going to happen due to the wind. Surely even the computer-programed GFS knows such low temperatures with wind won't happen!

Posted

I know we have a little bit of a dig at southerly bias on the forum, but you can't deny it's literally come alive tonight lol heading for a record most users online, because the ECM and 18z are showing signs that this time next week we could have blizzard conditions. Naturally I expect it will be a 'dry as a bone chilly breeze' by the time next week arrives lol

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

-1C here. Won't go lower.

What's that I smell? RAAAAAAAAAAAIN