Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Thread

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Second bout of snow here this winter. Been snowing lightly since 12 o'clock and turned to rain once and is a little sleety now. If it was heavy ppn it would defo be full on snow showers.

RE: Backtracks Snow chart..... Where the blizzards icon over Oldham ? We always do well here in a decent easterly, especially when those streamers set up :)

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I'd forgotten how miserable the northwest thread is, being downcast about an Easterly being forecast before it arrives! Easy to forget that on the whole the deepest snowfalls in the northwest have come from an easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

The only bit i disagree with about easterlies is Kent and the SE, they CAN get stonking amounts, there is no place i would rather be for a really low uppers easterly than the SE, and that includes anywhere in the Pennines / NE at any altitude.

I agree with your statement and TBH, they are the only part of the UK which comes close to enjoying a continental climate; hot summers and cold winters but although the synoptics for summer heat are available in most summers, apart from 2012 of course, those needed to deliver a 1987 style winter spell are few and far between.

Maybe this year will be another 1987 then we can look at deep frost whilst they dig out from huge amounts of snow.

Posted

Just on the margins here fluctuating between wet snow and sleet, albeit higher up on the 1000ft tops I would imagine the snow to be the more 'drier' kind and sticking easier from what i'm seeing poking the head out the window at the moorlands above. Temps will be dropping off soon now the sun is going down, hopefully this will help the 2'c marginality to be lowered somewhat enabling the snow-line to drop as a response.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

In this direct easterly there's less of a sea track for the showers down there. If a low pops up near to those counties then they'll be buried, but as far as I can see, light snow showers will be the limit.

hah what a load of rubbish, this is not being imbyism at all but the graph is WAY off if the charts are to be believed. I'd rather have put a question mark regarding heavy snow showers for EA and SE. I can understand this chart if it's a direct south easterly but easterlies and north easterlies no, wind shift's can make a HUGE difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

True but we dont know the details yet, we dont know for absolute certain it happening yet but more likely than not now i would dare to suggest.

Anyway who cares. This is the north west thread! The mightiest thread on Net Weather... probably the wettest too, BUT STILL :D:rofl:

hah what a load of rubbish, this is not being imbyism at all but the graph is WAY off if the charts are to be believed. I'd rather have put a question mark regarding heavy snow showers for EA and SE. I can understand this chart if it's a direct south easterly but easterlies and north easterlies no, wind shift's can make a HUGE difference.

We'll see.

Posted

It's dry here, surprisingly. I'd be kicking myself if this was a snow event because of the radar echoes just 20 miles to my north.

But oh well, don't want any rain biggrin.png

Backtrack its not just rain though .... its COLD rain.

Posted

We'll see.

I wish people would stop doing these types of charts that don't know anything about local conditions in area they don't even live in, just stick to your own area thanks

Rain and Sleet reserved to coastlines comes to mind

Posted

I wish people would stop doing these types of charts that don't know anything about local conditions in area they don't even live in, just stick to your own area thanks

It was a rough chart outlining the expected weather over the period. I couldn't care less if you got nothing but rain the whole winter, no need to get all stuck up about it. I didn't post it in the SE thread, so technically I did stick to my own area.

Anyway this is the NW England thread. Last time I checked you lived in SE England.

Meow! Touchy! I do believe this is the North West thread, you have an allocated thread set up for your region don't you? Kindly jog on...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Still snowing here, still light and and still only a little on the ground but its still snow, just!

Posted

Meow! Touchy! I do believe this is the North West thread, you have an allocated thread set up for your region don't you? Kindly jog on...

HAHAHAHA, mate this has made my day. Laughed hard. :rofl:

Posted

It was a rough chart outlining the expected weather over the period. I couldn't care less if you got nothing but rain the whole winter, no need to get all stuck up about it. I didn't post it in the SE thread, so technically I did stick to my own area.

Anyway this is the NW England thread. Last time I checked you lived in SE England.

Ignore it BT - His name says it all cray.gif

Posted

Ignore it BT - His name says it all cray.gif

:rofl: :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Tonight I probably expect freezing rain clearing to clear skies with a touch of frost and widespread ice. Hopefully sheets of ice everywhere!! My second favourite kind of weather!! biggrin.png

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

So don't predict for other areas away from the North West then

K thanks ;)

Going back to where I actually live now, wonder if i should do a forecast for America hmmm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I agree with your statement and TBH, they are the only part of the UK which comes close to enjoying a continental climate; hot summers and cold winters but although the synoptics for summer heat are available in most summers, apart from 2012 of course, those needed to deliver a 1987 style winter spell are few and far between.

Maybe this year will be another 1987 then we can look at deep frost whilst they dig out from huge amounts of snow.

To add to what i have already said my location sees far more snow in GENERAL than London for EG, but i would say that during real deep cold brutal winters / winter cold spells the SE sees the biggest positive snowfall ANOMALIES, this is because in brutal Northerlies we can still get wishboned while London can have channel lows clipping them and the three biggest Easterlies i can remember, London got battered (87,91 and 09), obviously with an average winter with the mean seasonal Jet alignment W-E, London may hardly get a look in but we can still get at least some sort of snow event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Here's my map, several feet in the east and 1-2 feet in MOST parts of the west:

post-9381-0-98051000-1354807194_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale

Heavy wet snow here right now.

Posted

K thanks tease.gif

Going back to where I actually live now, wonder if i should do a forecast for America hmmm

Yeah... ok mate. So just say for instance I decided to take meteorology at university and became a presenter on TV, do you think I'd just be doing the BBC Runcorn forecasts?

No?

Didn't think so.

Here's my map, several feet in the east and 1-2 feet in MOST parts of the west:

post-9381-0-98051000-1354807194_thumb.pn

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Away with you Alza! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

K thanks tease.gif

Just dropped in to the NW thread but god do you have some issues lol people can put whatever charts they want on here unless you have become the chief exec of Netweather.tv - it is the weather and we are all here to enjoy or cry at the outputs in laymans terms....

Chill oot man!!

Edited by Wishful-Thinking

Posted

Second bout of snow here this winter. Been snowing lightly since 12 o'clock and turned to rain once and is a little sleety now. If it was heavy ppn it would defo be full on snow showers.

RE: Backtracks Snow chart..... Where the blizzards icon over Oldham ? We always do well here in a decent easterly, especially when those streamers set up smile.png

Guess I could make a HD version and make amendments for you? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

PPN still not reached here yet

however with a temp of 3c and DP 1c just expecting a rainfest

meto going for a chance of wintry showers after midnight for merseyside and cheshire

EDIT

great to have our thread back,hope its a good winter for us all here in the NW

C.S