Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Thread

shuggee

Posted

It is actually quiet for once here. It is still freezing rain here in Leyland but tommorow night or some of us tonight going to be icy and I dont think it will get back edge snow though it is too mild for it. a Barmy 5C here.dirol.gif I doubt it will thunder either too. It is too cold for it.

looking at the charts I see nothing to write home about. The fact is, we'll run into rain showers off and on for a while longer yet tonight, before it settles down again. and frosty overnight's return, but I see nothing even remotely interesting for those nearer to the coast until past day 10, and then it's only sleety mix if your lucky.

I am simply not convinced by anything I am seeing at the moment. It's silly season people see what they want to, not what they are really showing, and there in lies the problem..then we have people jumping up and down asking repeatedly will snow here..and if they spent just five minutes analysing the charts they wouldn't need to ask such questions in the first place.

In my opinion, I see nothing for anyone who wants snow to get excited about tonight. The best one can hope for is a horrible sleety/hail mix in those showers..conditions are not quite right for snow now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It was either Buxton or here for me, my dream would have already been fullfilled in Dec 10 and hence i would not still be chasing wild geese now, Flash, just outside Buxton is even better, its the highest village in the whole of the UK (1500ft), it was snowing there on xmas eve last year, it was around 9c here at the same time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just about stopped snowing here now and, after spending the last 6 or 7 hours at 0.9c the temperature has started to rise, currently standing at 1.3c

We ended up with about 3 inches of snow cover, probably more further up the hill but not bad all the same.

Think anything from now on will be rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Bloody throwing it down with rain now ! Def game over

started to look promising for a while, a few hours back. ah well

Posted

Bloody throwing it down with rain now ! Def game over

Yes, i was quite optimistic this morning but it soon became clear it was not going to cut it.

Posted

Yes, i was quite optimistic this morning but it soon became clear it was not going to cut it.

Same here ah well lets wait for the beast from the east!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

anyone had lightening i have and thunder

non here as I know of.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really

A rather beyond belief covering up Standedge (A62) tonight ...

Sleet/rain 1 mile away in Diggle.

Nothing like starting off a Winter with a nice cover on the white Pennine Hills

Posted

Same here ah well lets wait for the beast from the east!

Yes, i know people are in the MOD saying dont get too hung up on specifics at the longer ranges but now we are pretty much guaranteed some sort of feed from an Easterly quadrant, i do believe its worth starting to firm up from a regional perspective, not on PPN charts but just looking at the type of feed, i would rather get the colder air all the way across to Ireland rather than just being on the edge, even though a lot of runs that have shown that have then gone on to show a possible quicker breakdown it would could well be a messy breakdown anyway, colder uppers intrenched as far West as possible and a nice flat straight feed as per yesterdays 12z ECM.

Posted

i thought it was going to be thunder snow i had that once about 6 years ago it started with a flash of lightening then a rumble of thunder then it snowed like hell but it was powder snow i think it was about January.

Posted

i thought it was going to be thunder snow i had that once about 6 years ago it started with a flash of lightening then a rumble of thunder then it snowed like hell but it was powder snow i think it was about January.

Ive only heard proper thundersnow once, excluding those wintry April showers of course, December the 8th 1990 i think it was, about 4 am on a saturday morning, an almighty crack of thunder, i thought all the 2 inches of snow would be gone that was there when i went to bed, went to the window and it was still relentless and there was about 7 inches, it ended up with 10 inches (Midlands)

Posted

A rather beyond belief covering up Standedge (A62) tonight ...

Sleet/rain 1 mile away in Diggle.

Nothing like starting off a Winter with a nice cover on the white Pennine Hills

Is there anything at Scouthead as well do you know?

Posted

Is there anything at Scouthead as well do you know?

Not too sure ...

I believe there is a cover in Denshaw (village center and of course the moors)

Don't know about Scouthead but I'm guessing sleet/wet snow up there.

Here we have rain/sleet

It's the histrionics, panicking, diatribe etc....rational thought processes go out the window. It baffles me when a cold spell is imminent, some immediately start looking for the breakdown!

Works the other way too though -

"Arrrgh omg snowmaggedon at t-240!!!" (20+ likes)

"Wait, the ensembles don't agree, and these models...."

"Nah, inconsistent, pub run, 06z, can't see it, that's impossible, the teleconnections, bin it, shred it etc"

Edited by Interitus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Temp falling quickly here was 5.7c a few minutes ago now 4.4.

no haha hang on it's risen back to 5.0c. it's all over the place ATM. at least it's not raining anymore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

The game is still on because this cold spell is only gotten started!!biggrin.png The weather had not hitting the news headlines though thats one thing that bothers me.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

When we got that little spell of falling snow about midday, got me hopes up. Then there was a little break, some light sleet and for the rest of the day it's been cold wet rain with odd bits of melt on touchdown sleety flakes thrown in now and again. So that puts that one to bed for another day.

I hope this easterly if it does arrive provides something our side of the pennines. I know that Ian Mcaskill video has been shared a few times from the 90's - Oh yes please. Trouble is for every easterly like that, there's half a dozen that kill off any precipitation before it even reaches the North West. Lets hope this is one of those rare ones. At least there is no sign of mildness in sight.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Just had a very heavy rainshower.. sadly no thunder, but no wintriness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

The winds really picking up here. Started raining again too

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

2'C with sudden hail shower