Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Mayhem - Moan, Ramp, Go Nuts

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

#Pray4Gav

Donations can be made by texting the word GAVHIGH and the amount in GBP to 12345.

With your generosity we can alleviate Gavin of his wintry plight by sending him to a warm, high pressure dominated place he could only dream of. Thank you for your support.

rofl.gif

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

All in good fun of course but this 'Gavin' banter getting tiresome, and off topic, also cannot believe a completely off topic post from pinball wizard got 33 'likes', time to ditch the 'like' thing I think

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Not quite a Spanish plume but.......

cfs-0-1002.png?18

cfs-2-1002.png?18

cfs-0-1008.png?18

cfs-2-1008.png?18

Only a 1002hrs to go

rofl.gif

now only 1000 ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess just how cold that GFS 18Z run would have been if it had been Jan/Feb! smiliz39.gif

COBRA would be the new "in thing" most likely rofl.gif

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

Spring has officially been reported missing! Last seen about 12 months ago giving it large in parts of the UK!

If found please inform Netweather, where there is a £100,000 reward, which will then in turn be given to Gavin for putting up with a never ending winter!

This should cheer up the mildies...

gens-17-1-336.png

Edited by SE Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Don't we have that pretty much already now, with the In Depth Model Discussion thread?

The seasonal Model Discussion thread is doing it's job nicely as it is, with people wanting to discuss and post their thoughts on the current models.

A lot of people like extremes of weather, be it hot,cold,wind,rain or snow, and while we are currently in a cold weather phase, it's only natural for people to look for more cold while it is still here.

I am sure if it was 100°F hot now, that many people would be looking for even hotter weather, and the minority would be seeking cooler weather.

I think I speak for the *many* in that we want an "un biased" approach, and want just dedicated reporting of the data output, not personal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

A lot of people like extremes of weather, be it hot,cold,wind,rain or snow, and while we are currently in a cold weather phase, it's only natural for people to look for more cold while it is still here.

I am sure if it was 100°F hot now, that many people would be looking for even hotter weather, and the minority would be seeking cooler weather.

personally i dont see the point of looking for cold for the sake of it...i understand the liking for snow, but if we cant have snow...and thats unlikely, then why bother?. spring warmth is imho the most wonderful of events, the scents, smells, birdsong, fresh new growth, isnt that preferable to this current nothingness? bitter, largely snowless, often overcast. that belongs in winter, not spring.

secondly, nope, summer isnt winter in reverse, very few are actively seeking and ramping heat the way they do in winter. forum numbers drop to next to nothing sometimes. there are no hot counterparts to nick sussex, teits, s murr, etc. id suggest theres a 90% drop in posts, its much better because there is hardly any ramping, hardly any 'spot the hot evolution', nothing like there is in winter . and theres a variety of reasons why and what people look for. from cooler weather, drier weather, hot weather, thundery weather, all have there followers unlike winter when you are an outcast if you dont look for cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

personally i dont see the point of looking for cold for the sake of it...i understand the liking for snow, but if we cant have snow...and thats unlikely, then why bother?. spring warmth is imho the most wonderful of events, the scents, smells, birdsong, fresh new growth, isnt that preferable to this current nothingness? bitter, largely snowless, often overcast. that belongs in winter, not spring.

secondly, nope, summer isnt winter in reverse, very few are actively seeking and ramping heat the way they do in winter. forum numbers drop to next to nothing sometimes. there are no hot counterparts to nick sussex, teits, s murr, etc. id suggest theres a 90% drop in posts, its much better because there is hardly any ramping, hardly any 'spot the hot evolution', nothing like there is in winter . and theres a variety of reasons why and what people look for. from cooler weather, drier weather, hot weather, thundery weather, all have there followers unlike winter when you are an outcast if you dont look for cold.

It is true that during the rest of the year there is no ramping of a particular weather type and generally through the spring/summer months the board is an awful lot quieter. I enjoy it then as I can read proper analysis of the charts without the bias and toy throwing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Aaron, why do you get so angry about the weather?

I'm not angry in the slightest, but I am increasingly annoyed at some of the comments being posted on here and in other parts of the forum, such as one's implying that people shouldn't enjoy cold weather, look for cold weather, or that there is no point in cold weather, simply because they don't like it, think it is pointless or can't understand people enjoying cold weather. I have never once questioned the preferences of others, or attacked anyone for enjoying a type of weather that I dislike (such as heat), so I am confused as to why other people think it is totally okay to do the same to people who enjoy cold weather. Is it really so hard to accept that people enjoy different things, even if you yourself cannot understand it? I've looked over the past few pages of this thread and it is essentially the same thing being posted again and again, but worded differently than before. Seems like a waste of time to me.

In fact, I could probably sum up what has been said on here since this thread's creation, on its 106 pages, in just a few short points..

1. Rob doesn't like cold, it affects him financially

2. Everyone else is aware of this and understands, and do not wish for cold to begrudge him

3. People don't like the bias in the MOD thread, it should change

4. People enjoy extremes and have different preferences

5. Gavin is losing the plot.. lol (we all love Gavin really)

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I agree that in summer we have different weather types that have followers, but my problem is that they tend to stick to their own sub-areas of the forum, e.g. the convective/storm discussions area for convection lovers and the model output thread for settled/high pressure lovers, or at least that's the way it's seemed to me in recent years. While I don't think there is a lot of "spot the hot evolution" I regularly see a lot of "spot the high pressure".

For example, I remember that I quite enjoyed July 2009 in Norwich (frequent bright and fairly warm days with thunder, though I'm happy to concede that the month was a total washout over many other parts of the UK). Into early August the weather in Norwich turned mostly dry but cloudy with the odd bit of drizzle. I was then informed by other members that I was wrong to not see the change as an improvement because settled and warm weather is better than unsettled dross. I also remember a couple of warm dry sunny spells during June 2010 (particularly the one near the end of the month) where the model output thread was full of despairing posts about the high pressure retreating towards T+180, rather like happens during cold snowy spells when people get worried about a breakdown towards T+180.

Those sort of experiences have tended to suggest to me that we do get similar issues in summer as we do in winter- though of course the much smaller volume of posts means that well-reasoned and balanced contributions account for a higher percentage of the total and are less likely to be lost after a series of one-liners come in.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I'm not angry in the slightest, but I am increasingly annoyed at some of the comments being posted on here and in other parts of the forum, such as one's implying that people shouldn't enjoy cold weather, look for cold weather, or that there is no point in cold weather, simply because they don't like it, think it is pointless or can't understand people enjoying cold weather. I have never once questioned the preferences of others, or attacked anyone for enjoying a type of weather that I dislike (such as heat), so I am confused as to why other people think it is totally okay to do the same to people who enjoy cold weather. Is it really so hard to accept that people enjoy different things, even if you yourself cannot understand it? I've looked over the past few pages of this thread and it is essentially the same thing being posted again and again, but worded differently than before. Seems like a waste of time to me.

In fact, I could probably sum up what has been said on here since this thread's creation, on its 106 pages, in just a few short points..

1. Rob doesn't like cold, it affects him financially

2. Everyone else is aware of this and understands, and do not wish for cold to begrudge him

3. People don't like the bias in the MOD thread, it should change

4. People enjoy extremes and have different preferences

5. Gavin is losing the plot.. lol (we all love Gavin really)

bib... but thats my (our...non cold lovers ) point in reverse! i think everyone accepts that theres a cold bias here in winter, so i left over winter because after 8 years i was fed up with the same old ramping, biased, tripe. the vast majority of the gbp dont like the cold, it seems that cold lovers only appear on weather forums. im guessing that many, like me, who avoided the cold ramping, are fed up of it still going on due to this anomalous cold. those who dont like cold have been refered to as trolls, wind up merchants, and so on...

anyway, this is going around in circles, i made my point on this ages ago so you either accept it , or not. :)

Posted

I agree that in summer we have different weather types that have followers, but my problem is that they tend to stick to their own sub-areas of the forum, e.g. the convective/storm discussions area for convection lovers and the model output thread for settled/high pressure lovers, or at least that's the way it's seemed to me in recent years. While I don't think there is a lot of "spot the hot evolution" I regularly see a lot of "spot the high pressure".

For example, I remember that I quite enjoyed July 2009 in Norwich (frequent bright and fairly warm days with thunder, though I'm happy to concede that the month was a total washout over many other parts of the UK). Into early August the weather in Norwich turned mostly dry but cloudy with the odd bit of drizzle. I was then informed by other members that I was wrong to not see the change as an improvement because settled and warm weather is better than unsettled dross. I also remember a couple of warm dry sunny spells during June 2010 (particularly the one near the end of the month) where the model output thread was full of despairing posts about the high pressure retreating towards T+180, rather like happens during cold snowy spells when people get worried about a breakdown towards T+180.

Those sort of experiences have tended to suggest to me that we do get similar issues in summer as we do in winter- though of course the much smaller volume of posts means that well-reasoned and balanced contributions account for a higher percentage of the total and are less likely to be lost after a series of one-liners come in.

bib... are you surprised after the endlessly wet summers most of the country has endured over the last 7 years? :lol:

'we' will be happy with some pleasant sun, anything but the endless wet/dull... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

With regards the summer I'm thinking along the lines of the following:

1. People spotting a high pressure and assuming that it will be warm and sunny (a bit like with Scandinavian highs and snow in winter).

2. Thundery setups which generate a lot of interest elsewhere in the forum but no interest at all in the model output thread (a bit like with Atlantic gales in winter).

3. The simplistic categorisation of the weather into settled/good and unsettled/bad (a bit like the cold/good, mild/bad categorisations in winter).

I think points 1 and 3 relate mainly to the generalisation that in summer, settled weather tends to be warm, sunny and dry, and vice versa for unsettled weather- it works in most cases, but not always. My difficulties relate mainly to the exceptional cases, e.g. the flawed reasoning in point 1 above, or the idea that I should prefer dry cloudy weather over sunshine and showers mixed with thunder.

Posted

the vast majority of the gbp dont like the cold

Of course they don't, and this is another point that I forgot to pick up on - are we supposed to adhere to what the 'majority' want or prefer? I cannot stress this enough - I really don't care what the majority of people want. I really don't. Most people in this country only want to watch X-Factor and listen to Lady Gaga, but I'd sooner cut my own arm off than watch or listen to either.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

The vast majority who post on the MOD thread would hope for snow in June July and August if they held nature in their hands.

Posted

Of course they don't, and this is another point that I forgot to pick up on - are we supposed to adhere to what the 'majority' want or prefer? I cannot stress this enough - I really don't care what the majority of people want. I really don't. Most people in this country only want to watch X-Factor and listen to Lady Gaga, but I'd sooner cut my own arm off than watch or listen to either.

...so the minority should dictate what the majority want to read?

and your x factor analogy is wrong, most people dont watch txf! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But, all said and done, the weather itself could give two 'Lady Gagas' about what anyone hopes for...laugh.png

Posted

...so the minority should dictate what the majority want to read?

and your x factor analogy is wrong, most people dont watch txf! blum.gif

Some variation then - something crap that you find on ITV! No shortage there.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

It might be an idea to ask admin/mods which 'season' causes them the most grief?

Define the season how you wish but I would lay odds that the moderating problems are greatest in the 'winter' season.

Part of this is due to folk who like cold don't tend to post in the 'summer' season so there are less folk around. But and the previous sentence gives a clue I would hazard a guess that it is the coldies who cause the most hassle. They argue with anyone who does not agree with their view, they even argue amongst themselves over the same matter.

The question must be-why?

Posted

It might be an idea to ask admin/mods which 'season' causes them the most grief?

Define the season how you wish but I would lay odds that the moderating problems are greatest in the 'winter' season.

Part of this is due to folk who like cold don't tend to post in the 'summer' season so there are less folk around. But and the previous sentence gives a clue I would hazard a guess that it is the coldies who cause the most hassle. They argue with anyone who does not agree with their view, they even argue amongst themselves over the same matter.

The question must be-why?

the problems might be greater in spring this year, as wintry weathers still here along with the coldies who are now invading those seeking warmer weather time on the md thread :lol:

why?.... because they are unreasonable? or have i just been haded a loaded gun?... :lol:

Posted

Some variation then - something crap that you find on ITV! No shortage there.

Quite true, ITV is prob the station which broadcasts the most PAP I have ever known.

In other news, anyone seen *any* signs of spring showing its leg yet? (just turned the heater back on again)

Posted

The vast majority who post on the MOD thread would hope for snow in June July and August if they held nature in their hands.

Thank the light then that they do not have the key's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Personally, I think if there was a zero-tolerance policy on off-topic, argumentative, subjective, biased posts within the MOD thread, over a period of time you would see a marked reduction in off-topic, argumentative, subjective, biased posts. Honestly, a zero-tolerance policy is the way to go. All these issues with the MOD thread have arisen because the forum guidelines have been too relaxed, or just plain disregarded.

The counterargument "Oh, but that'll just make it dull and boring" is weak at best. There are plenty of other parts of the forum where you can chat about how much you want your desired weather type. The MOD thread should strictly be about objective, unbiased, detailed assessment/summaries/thoughts on NWP output. That, to me, sounds much better

There's an issue with that approach - people have lives and better things to do than to prune every single off topic post.