Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Mayhem - Moan, Ramp, Go Nuts

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

We have had 2 cold Spell's this month that have beaten record's going back 50yrs here, and this one is still ongoing.

now im actually in two minds over this, yes i like my mild weather especially in spring, but i do like extremes, ive had 53-4 hours of snow now which started off as useless wet stuff, but its got colder and its settled and is drifting. now i do like that...IF we have to have cold/snow, at least lets have a good dumping, anything less is just spoiler.

however

its costing me c £1500 in lost takings to date, so im not happy about that and wish we could have had this in winter, not spring.

I will be interested to see how long until the most ardent winter weather fan screams "no more easterlies, its April soon, enough with it!"

teits and crewcold both have said they are looking foreward to something warmer, just get steve murr to agree and sacra will be defunkt! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I will be interested to see how long until the most ardent winter weather fan screams "no more easterlies, its April soon, enough with it!"

I don't particularly want any more easterlies after the end of March (though I'll be happy for them to continue until then to give us a shot at a sub 3C March CET). Once we head into April the statistical likelihood of getting snow off an easterly becomes very low unless it is sourced from a long way north, while the likelihood of cold grey raw weather in the eastern half of England and Scotland is high.

With northerlies, though, you may be out of luck- I don't mind northerlies once in a while even in summer, if they are of the cool bright variety- the northerly incursion on the 27th August 1995 particularly sticks out in my memory for bringing thunderstorms with hail to the Tyne and Wear area.

Posted

now im actually in two minds over this, yes i like my mild weather especially in spring, but i do like extremes, ive had 53-4 hours of snow now which started off as useless wet stuff, but its got colder and its settled and is drifting. now i do like that...IF we have to have cold/snow, at least lets have a good dumping, anything less is just spoiler.

however

its costing me c £1500 in lost takings to date, so im not happy about that and wish we could have had this in winter, not spring.

teits and crewcold both have said they are looking foreward to something warmer, just get steve murr to agree and sacra will be defunkt! laugh.png

Yes, I wouldn't want to see the cold rolling on into April , a big final fling snowy breakdown next weekend would suit me fine and then roll on some warmth.

Posted

To be fair he's only in that mindset because he missed out whilst areas not too far away like here got absolutely pasted lol

he could have had mine, i dont want the flippin stuff... lol.

mind you its melting fairly steadily atm, but itll still take a few days to go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Well, you'll never hear that from me. The longer it goes on the more extreme it is relative to the time of year and the more I like it.

If this was occurring in mid May I'd probably need mild sedation.

Posted

Well, you'll never hear that from me. The longer it goes on the more extreme it is relative to the time of year and the more I like it.

we will probably get normal march temps in may, and normal may temps in july

its like its all two months behind atm

Edited by IanR

Posted

you wont be saying that if your income dries up and you cannot afford to pay your bills and risk eviction....

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

you wont be saying that if your income dries up and you cannot afford to pay your bills and risk eviction....

Plenty of people out there need snow shifting. Perhaps you should start a private snow clearing operation. Clearing side roads and pavements. Last year I'm pretty sure I wasa cutting my lawn and trimming the hedge.

Posted

this cold is going to cost us all.... not only fuel prices, heating bills, but food. farmers are going to have to up their prices to stay in business as the cold effects yeilds, not only of veg, cerial, corn, but food for livestock too.

so i dont really 'get' it, the liking for such ruinous weather, i mean... its just cold.. what does that do for you? for anyone? how does this weather enrich your lives at this time of the year? its killing wildlife, last year was the worst for butterflies with all but 8/56 declining. how can they survive this? the woodland trust lat week raised concerns over hibernating mamals, they are going to die if they havnt enough fat reserves and most have only got enough for a normal winter. 'oh theyll recover, they did in 63'... yes they did, but numbers have declined significantly since then, habitat has been lost, soon some speciese just wont have a large enough population to bounce back.

all this adverse misery, yet some are still gleeful at the prospect of this crap continuing..... barking....

Plenty of people out there need snow shifting. Perhaps you should start a private snow clearing operation. Clearing side roads and pavements. Last year I'm pretty sure I wasa cutting my lawn and trimming the hedge.

thought of that twenty years ago... it doesnt work, people dont want to pay for that.

Posted

this cold is going to cost us all.... not only fuel prices, heating bills, but food. farmers are going to have to up their prices to stay in business as the cold effects yeilds, not only of veg, cerial, corn, but food for livestock too.

so i dont really 'get' it, the liking for such ruinous weather, i mean... its just cold.. what does that do for you? for anyone? how does this weather enrich your lives at this time of the year? its killing wildlife, last year was the worst for butterflies with all but 8/56 declining. how can they survive this? the woodland trust lat week raised concerns over hibernating mamals, they are going to die if they havnt enough fat reserves and most have only got enough for a normal winter. 'oh theyll recover, they did in 63'... yes they did, but numbers have declined significantly since then, habitat has been lost, soon some speciese just wont have a large enough population to bounce back.

all this adverse misery, yet some are still gleeful at the prospect of this crap continuing..... barking....

thought of that twenty years ago... it doesnt work, people dont want to pay for that.

Nature has put up with worse conditions and has survived....... It's a part of life!

Posted

Nature has put up with worse conditions and has survived....... It's a part of life!

s

but the stats suggest alot of creatures are on a downward track. loss of habitat, pollution, agriculture, all have contributed to this decline. this cold wont make anything extinct, but its a blow most things could do without.

early nesting birds like herons are likely to lose this years brood.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

s

but the stats suggest alot of creatures are on a downward track. loss of habitat, pollution, agriculture, all have contributed to this decline. this cold wont make anything extinct, but its a blow most things could do without.

early nesting birds like herons are likely to lose this years brood.

The uncontrollable, never ending, force of nature..

Posted

I'm ill because of the weather, I'm skint because of the weather, I am going to track all you coldies downdiablo.gif

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Over the years we have had many septembers which have felt like a continuation of summer,now its winters turn this year as regards march all is fair in love and war i say. The mildies had thier warmth in the 90's and earlier part of the 2000'sblum.gif

Posted

The uncontrollable, never ending, force of nature..

true, made worse by mans treatment of our environment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the main reasons for the interest in continued cold weather are the chances of getting the coldest March in many of our lifetimes (a statistical extremes point of view) and some are enjoying sledging, snowballing and watching snow drifts.

I remember being chided quite a few times for welcoming northerlies in April and May in spite of the problems that late frost and snow can cause, but in my case it's a particular weather type that I look forward to in those situations- those sunshine-and-snow-showers scenarios associated with a strong sun and homegrown convection, which we very rarely get outside of the spring months.

To get there from where we're currently at, though, we need to see significant erosion of the cap on convection over the North Sea, and while it is expected to erode towards midweek, it probably won't erode enough to give us the sort of weather conditions that characterised the 11th-13th March. Instead I am potentially looking at a very cold spell with not a lot of "weather" going on. Personally the only thing that's keeping me away from the "this spell has outstayed its welcome" camp is the concern that if it turns milder in the last few days of March it will lessen the statistical significance of this calendar month. I might be thinking differently if I was living in one of the snowy areas though.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

They were some awesome heavy snow showers on 11-13th this month for my area must of at least had 10 really heavy showers maybe more thru the day :)

Posted

Its been an exceptionally cold and snowy March....nothing that happens this week will alter that. If this happened in January, I would have loved it but its end of March and i have had more than enough of cold. Cant believe that any one bar masochists and stats geeks want weeks more of this!

Posted

If it snows all summer you can't do anything about it except emigrate or take a long holiday.

Posted

But not made worse by people enjoying extreams in the weather!

no, but you are cheering at other peoples misery, and at something that is damaging the country and wildlife.

Posted

no, but you are cheering at other peoples misery, and at something that is damaging the country and wildlife.

Before anyone comes back with, "I'm not cheering at other people's misery", I'm guessing that the first part of that post is really meaning, "cheering at something that is causing others misery". Technically, people are indeed deriving enjoyment from something that is causing others pain, but the same argument could be put forward against those who cheer at a hot dry sunny summer while London tube commuters fry in temperatures of 40C, thousands die from the heat in France, and wildlife suffers because of the high evapotranspiration rates and lack of rainfall.

I don't agree with people being required to tone down their enjoyment of the weather out of 'respect' for others' suffering, but as I think I touched upon a while ago, I do feel uneasy when I see people posting as if they are speaking for everybody in saying that we want a continuation of the cold weather- I can see that providing a real slap in the face for those who are suffering from it.

Spring is a notoriously fickle season though and things can switch around pretty quickly without a lot of warning. Chinomaniac made a post earlier today which suggested that the teleconnections are pointing towards a Euro high as being the dominant feature in the second half of April, with the high likely to heavily influence the British Isles- this would provide a very stark contrast with the current spell of weather. And of course we had that consistently cold spring of 1975, the snowfalls on the 2nd June, and then a summer scorcher- August 1975's CET has been exceeded only twice since (in 1995 and 1997).

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Its been an exceptionally cold and snowy March....nothing that happens this week will alter that. If this happened in January, I would have loved it but its end of March and i have had more than enough of cold. Cant believe that any one bar masochists and stats geeks want weeks more of this!

Yes, good post. This weather is quite frankly vile. Fine for Jan/Feb but looking forward to some sun and warmth now. Have a sneaking suspicion that many cold obsessed posters aren't responsible for paying heating bills etc lol