Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion ~ December 9th 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just wanted to pop a post from the Technical thread in here, as it concerns our area too. Hope it puts Decembers weather into a bit more perspective for us south-easterners and what is more realistic in terms of what we can expect from the last month of the year.

"Interesting discussion on this thread on where we go from here. Just want to make a couple of observations regarding Decembers in the UK in general. I really do feel that some members perception of what we can expect during the last month of the year has been greatly skewed by the very exceptional cold and snowy December of 2010. In my lifetime there have been only 3 Decs. with a CET of less than 2.0c., 1962 (1.8c), 1981 (0.3c), 2010 (-0.7). That figure rises to 8 Decembers when looking at CETs of less than 3.0c.

Looking at my own region, cold, snowy weather is not a common visitor during the first half of the month and indeed more likely to show its hand post-Xmas than before Xmas.

Certainly I feel there's nothing to be disheartened by at this stage of the winter, in any of the output from various model predictions and I really do feel by this time next week the outlook for the end of the month and on into January, will begin to look a lot more encouraging from a colder and hopefully, snowier perspective."

Regards,

Tom.

Don't worry most of us have already worked that out. What do you think we're going to do, sue Netweather if we don't have snow on Christmas Day and a written contract for more of the same through Jan/Feb? w00t.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Just wanted to pop a post from the Technical thread in here, as it concerns our area too. Hope it puts Decembers weather into a bit more perspective for us south-easterners and what is more realistic in terms of what we can expect from the last month of the year.

"Interesting discussion on this thread on where we go from here. Just want to make a couple of observations regarding Decembers in the UK in general. I really do feel that some members perception of what we can expect during the last month of the year has been greatly skewed by the very exceptional cold and snowy December of 2010. In my lifetime there have been only 3 Decs. with a CET of less than 2.0c., 1962 (1.8c), 1981 (0.3c), 2010 (-0.7). That figure rises to 8 Decembers when looking at CETs of less than 3.0c.

Looking at my own region, cold, snowy weather is not a common visitor during the first half of the month and indeed more likely to show its hand post-Xmas than before Xmas.

Certainly I feel there's nothing to be disheartened by at this stage of the winter, in any of the output from various model predictions and I really do feel by this time next week the outlook for the end of the month and on into January, will begin to look a lot more encouraging from a colder and hopefully, snowier perspective."

Regards,

Tom.

Thanks for your summary Tom. Very welcome and informative.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Is that a budget filling?

I think it's a watered down version of a BLT (without the bacon, lettuce and tomato) rolleyes.gif

Posted

Ice and freezing fog cause misery on the roads

Snow is expected to fall in the south west from tomorrow as freezing fog patches and ice continue to cause hazardous conditions on the roads.

Met Office severe weather warnings for ice were in place this morning across large swathes of eastern England. Drivers were warned that heavy showers could wash away gritting treatment and could cause dangerous conditions on the roads. Forecasters warned temperatures could dip as low as -8C tonight, while temperatures would struggle to reach above zero anywhere in Britain tomorrow.

The south west of England and Scotland could see snow flurries on Wednesday night, but forecasters said it would not be heavy.

Patches of freezing fog are also forecast on Tuesday night and could be more widespread on Wednesday, spreading as far towards the south east as Cambridgeshire.

“One of the major risks is for drivers,†a Met Office spokesman said. “They could have problems with visibility and it could create hazardous driving conditions.†He said there was a risk ice would gather on drivers’ windscreens. “At least with normal fog you can turn your wipers on,†he said.

Gales up to 60mph are also predicted to hit coastal areas of northern England on Thursday night, sending temperatures plummeting. The warnings came as a 75-year-old woman died on Monday after the ambulance taking her to hospital left a road near Boston, Lincolnshire, and ended up in a ditch. A spokesman for Lincolnshire Police said he would not “rule out†that weather was a factor, after several roads in the county were thought to be icy in the early hours.

Separately, two men were taken to hospital with suspected hypothermia after their rowing boat capsized into icy water in the Fleet lagoon on Chesil Beach in Dorset. The men, who had been fishing, were taken to Dorset County Hospital for checks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9736318/Ice-and-freezing-fog-cause-misery-on-the-roads.html

Daughter tells me this morning that there is no heating in school as a pipe burst yesterday. Hoping to have it fixed by Friday. I'm wondering if they will get sent home today or if they will spend another day working with their coats on.

Yeh they will be sent home. I remember my schools day without heating and we got sent home..I think it's a health and safety concern..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Yeh they will be sent home. I remember my schools day without heating and we got sent home..I think it's a health and safety concern..

Coincidentally our heating packed up as well yesterday. Engineer calling between 8 and 1 today, that's sorted then, 12.59 it is!

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

We were never sent home from school if the heating was broken. The teacher used to just break the icicles off our fingers and noses and beat us with a stick to make us warm....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

GEFS 11th Dec 2012, 00z,

post-5986-0-02618300-1355215801_thumb.pnpost-5986-0-79174500-1355215866_thumb.pnpost-5986-0-14978000-1355215825_thumb.pn

like these Boar - do you make them yourself?

quick question - the scale on the bottom is that the t-0 to t-144? I'm a little confused

ps while I'm here.. the sat's showing some nice clouds in the sea off our coast - thames snow maybe later?

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Have had graupal showers on and off this morning,dusting when we woke which had frozen to car windows, all melting now though wth + 4 alredy here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We were never sent home from school if the heating was broken. The teacher used to just break the icicles off our fingers and noses and beat us with a stick to make us warm....

In Lower Third, our classroom had a little coal fire. It was in the old part of the building(s) and just like Harry Potter.

In 1963, if we were cold, we were told to put on our coats in lessons and were allowed to wear ski pants instead of skirts — although school was warmer than home where we just had an Aga doing all the heating until the fires were lit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

• Thought I would have a look in on your thread to see if people were talking about the next 24/36 hours. Could be something of interest for that period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

ok who stole my snow? i could have sworn i was ment to have a few feet delivered this morning? looks like the snow cloud is running like royal mail ... late again! sad.png

Edited by hernebaylooby

Posted

Thought I would have a look in on your thread to see if people were talking about the next 24/36 hours. Could be something of interest for that period.

What do you think will be of interest in the next couple of days then? :unsure:

Posted

What do you think will be of interest in the next couple of days then? unsure.png

NAE suggest possibilities. 06 GFS precipitation charts would be of interest. That time period, uppers look ok. Don’t get me wrong, not bucket loads but something to feel festive about before low rolls in.

Posted

You can't be at +4 ???? Are you right on the coast?

I'm much warmer than that anyway....... wink.png

NAE suggest possibilities. 06 GFS precipitation charts would be of interest. That time period, uppers look ok. Don’t get me wrong, not bucket loads but something to feel festive about before low rolls in.

I'm not so sure for the bulk of us in this region, things like any white stuff look to be way out East:

hgt500-1000.png

Unless you mean rain?? blum.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted

I'm much warmer than that anyway....... wink.png

I'm not so sure for the bulk of us in this region, things like any white stuff look to be way out East:

hgt500-1000.png

Unless you mean rain?? blum.gif

gfs-2-12rat0_mini.pnggfs-2-6oxj9_mini.png

Posted

gfs-2-12rat0_mini.pnggfs-2-6oxj9_mini.png

Cold rain? :lol:

I'm still not totally convinced and anything that falls from the sky is most likely to be out in the North Sea surely?

Posted

Cold rain? laugh.png

I'm still not totally convinced and anything that falls from the sky is most likely to be out in the North Sea surely?

LOL

Posted

It's almost 3 degrees, showers of small ice pellets keep passing through. Damn you Atlantic low get back to the states where you belong !

Posted

ok who stole my snow? i could have sworn i was ment to have a few feet delivered this morning? looks like the snow cloud is running like royal mail ... late again! sad.png

Hey excuse me, I am a Postie.! Spare a thought for us poor souls delivery all your Amazon parcels in the freezing cold. lol

Oh and by the way, profile pic is Hot. !!! grab your coat....

Posted

Believe me I am scouring everywhere to try and find evidence, hints, pointers or just plain straws to give all of us in this region some hope of snow this week. You will be luckier the further East you live, but from what I can see you need to be living here at least!

800px-KnockJohn.jpg