Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Winter Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Yep i think the first band will be snow for us all which is good, the second band will be hit and miss, but even at this short range it can change looked at the scottish thread and its snowing when the forecast and nae chart showed rain so theres always hope, it going to be so close.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Beyond Monday it is very difficult to know how much snow the could be for the midlands. With the winds from the east of north east, you would think that snow showers would spread through the east midlands at least.

The charts in november 2010 did not show loads of precipitation yet From the northern side of Nottingham northwards there was a foot or more.

The good thing is that the cold is now here and not going anywhere fast, and that means more opportunities will present themselves.

Posted

So is it a case of the faster it gets here the better chance we will have.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

So is it a case of the faster it gets here the better chance we will have.

not necessarily, depebds on the mild sector

Posted

I expect the 2nd band to do the following;

Shropshire, hereford, Worcester, gloucestershire, staffordshire: rain and sleet.. Elevation in staffordshire might help though

Birmingham, warwickshire: really borderline.. Difficult to know until tomorrow morning

Derby, leicester, Nottingham, Northampton etc: snow ( at the moment)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Beyond Monday it is very difficult to know how much snow the could be for the midlands. With the winds from the east of north east, you would think that snow showers would spread through the east midlands at least.

The charts in november 2010 did not show loads of precipitation yet From the northern side of Nottingham northwards there was a foot or more.

The good thing is that the cold is now here and not going anywhere fast, and that means more opportunities will present themselves.

Spot on i think by the middle of the week a few showers will be dragged further inland depending on the strength of the wind but i would say a few of us could be suprised by the mid of the week.

Posted

I expect the 2nd band to do the following;

Shropshire, hereford, Worcester, gloucestershire, staffordshire: rain and sleet.. Elevation in staffordshire might help though

Birmingham, warwickshire: really borderline.. Difficult to know until tomorrow morning

Derby, leicester, Nottingham, Northampton etc: snow ( at the moment)

thanks for that lol. I'm sat in Leicestershire with Warwickshire 1 mile to the west.

Posted

-5.5C here this am, so if the temp stays depressed all day, could get snow later. It appears to be "ahead of schedule", so might coincide with lower temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Hoping for about 5cms tonight for my location, no idea about tomorrow though, we're too far west probably but do have decent elevation so could perhaps stay as snow for few hours longer. Remember back in feb09 a front at the tailend of that cold spell brought rain/sleet to areas such as Telford and lichfield but settling snow here in Heath Hayes, hoping for something similiar tomorrow! Also pretty much stayed all snow last feb, which was similiarly borderline to tomorrow.

Posted

Trying to spot the difference in terms of westward extent of snow between 00z and 06z NAE is impossible if anything maybe slightly further west but only be 20miles difference tops.

Posted

Does anyone know what time the first band of snow is predicted to arrive by approx.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Would say at present east of m1 and above say 100m height are most likely to see all snow. Probability decreases the further west you go and/or the lower your elevation is.

Posted

Well my Meto app has just updated and is now gone from snow-sleet . Now showing heavy snow for the entire period. Lol god knows what's going to happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Trying to spot the difference in terms of westward extent of snow between 00z and 06z NAE is impossible if anything maybe slightly further west but only be 20miles difference tops.

Think it will come down to now casting.... I'm sure we have been in these situations in past and had all snow when things have look less marginal than this

Posted

Everything feels right for my location to get snow, but it's gonna be hell waiting or this lot to come through for most of the snow starved Midlands.

Why does everything have to be 'marginal'??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

well, going to be tense waiting to find out whether it's sleet/snow that decides to fall out the sky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think everyone needs to look at the bigger picture esp after the model out put today we should see the cold lasting all week with some ice days mid week what i am looking at i know its FI but when the atlantic does try to get in this would be the perfect siuation for the midlands as lows come off from the atlantic they could easily stall and produce significant snow in our region. Its just a matter of time i think!

Posted

Nae much the same. Like other say, it will be a radar watching event and looking at reports from around the midlands to establish what will fall from the sky in your location.

Posted

The BBC forecast for most of the Midlands is actually very good, keeps 20 miles west of Birmingham eastwards in the snow zone for both bands.

It's encouraging because the Beeb generally put us in sleet or rain even when it's actually snowing out side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/