Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Winter Discussion

A.J

Posted

As i said last night, or was it this morning?... just wait till the 12z's come out... shift westwards... were in the game, no change, still possible, shift eastwards.. Well hmmmm lets not mention that

Edited by Staffordshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Current radar suggests first band looks very mediocre.

Posted

Just realised that I'm contradicting myself in here. One minute I'm saying that the forecasts must be right and it's all going to go wrong for us! Then my next post I'm talking about how forecasts have been wrong in the past and it's all going to be OK. Please accept my apologies! And I'm still not sure what view to take! One minute I'm thinking back using experiences from the past and it seems that it's going to be OK. Next minute I'm looking at a BBC forecast and thinking it's all going to go wrong. Think I should just stick to listening to music on Youtube today!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

It will be all snow tonight. I expect Tamworth will get a couple of cm's. Tomorrow I feel we are right on the boundary so who knows! An interesting weeks weather ahead :)

Posted

Current radar suggests first band looks very mediocre.

I believe it's expected to pep up somewhat as it heads further south. However, neither event is anticipated to be a raging blizzard.

The BBC News 24 forecast earlier had the central swathe of the Midlands under snow between 6.00pm tonight until an hour or so after midnight :)

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

TBH This is a nowcast situatiion.

Forget BBC weather / METO, just look out the window, you might be suprised at how much you get.

Posted

TBH This is a nowcast situatiion.

Forget BBC weather / METO, just look out the window, you might be suprised at how much you get.

haha I've given up checking met office / bbc as the predictions are so volatile. Looking out the window it is :)

Posted

Windows on buildings...the oldest and most reliable weather model around. Shame they only go out to +0 hours!

Posted

I believe it's expected to pep up somewhat as it heads further south. However, neither event is anticipated to be a raging blizzard.

The BBC News 24 forecast earlier had the central swathe of the Midlands under snow between 6.00pm tonight until an hour or so after midnight :)

Bish

thats a good 7 hours of snow, could get a nice accumilation, i think we can all admit none of us have a clue what will happen! be nice if any of you are members on met monkey if you can find out what keithy joe is saying?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Been out for a walk on the Malverns - very icy out, beautiful sunny day, very still, temp 0.4oC, very murky to the North and NW, can just make out a line of small cloud into the murk.

Posted

Been out for a walk on the Malverns - very icy out, beautiful sunny day, very still, temp 0.4oC, very murky to the North and NW, can just make out a line of small cloud into the murk.

Any snow still lying on the Malverns from yesterday? (if it got any). Lickey has some on top but couldn't see any on Clent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Well, i've seen the first snowflakes this Winter!

Woke up at 7:30am and looked out the window, much to my surprise.. A dusting of snow and light snow falling under the ol lamp post. 90% of the snow has melted now thanks to the sun, it still remains in shaded areas though :)

Not sure what to expect tonight/tomorrow, I think whatever does fall here in the East Midlands will stay as snow, just not sure how much will fall. Just renewed my N-W radar yesterday, in time for tonight onwards biggrin.png

Posted

People in here should keep an eye on the nw thread to get an idea of what's happening. Currently snow in blackpool :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I'm going for snow here overnight and then rain in the second band.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Completely cloudy here now after a sunny morning. Feeling chilly too with a temp' of 1.7c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I can't help but feel after tonight the remainder of the week will be cold but incredibly dull. High pressure taking over drying things out and the flow not strong enough to blow showers this far west.

Then snow washed away by rain potentially Friday. To all west and central midlanders my advice is - enjoy every flake you get tonight. It's most likely to be the last until at least Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I can't help but feel after tonight the remainder of the week will be cold but incredibly dull. High pressure taking over drying things out and the flow not strong enough to blow showers this far west.

Then snow washed away by rain potentially Friday. To all west and central midlanders my advice is - enjoy every flake you get tonight. It's most likely to be the last until at least Friday.

Snow washed away by friday? I think it could be washed away by tomorrow evening

Posted

wow the rain has turned to snow here, that is very bizarre given the dewpoint is above 0C! that has got to be good news...

I just cant believe the dewpoint is 2.5C and it's snowing.. that defies the books!

From the nw thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

is it modeled at 2.5 or is that what it actually is? if it is 2.5 then that is very good news

These situations are rarely forecast right when it comes to marginal.. And you never know ... We could get surprised with us further west.... Especially with that report from the northwest!

Posted

You forgot to add that this scenario is one of many solutions at this range...

Posted

Id say he's reporting actual temps. He said after it had turned mote sleety so I presume it was due to a heavier period of rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

From the nw thread

I don't mean to throw something negative into this, but I've just looked on xcweather and it seems most of the precip up in Scotland is rain at the momentunsure.png

The milder sector is over Scotland currently and is producing rain, the reason the North West have snow is because the milder sector hasn't made it there yet. Having said that though, I still think all the precip over the East Midlands tomorrow will be of snow, looks a bit more marginal in the West Midlands though.

prectypeuktopo.pngThis chart is a bit worrying

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

The new revised nae charts push the snow line even more east for the second band, going to make the most from tonites snow, because tomoz all i can see is rain or sleet, are the nae charts normally acurate or could they be wrong.

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

Anywhere west of Coventry it could be a non event tonight/tomorrow, looks like any lying snow will be gone by mid morning tomorrow. Intensity of snowfall looks pretty low too.

Friday looks very interesting and is the favoured situation for the West Midlands area, and it may not warm up until Sunday afterwards when more Atlantic fronts push in.