Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - December 19th 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Stay safe peeps, keep checking the flood warnings here...

http://www.environme...oods/31618.aspx

and the weather alerts here....

http://www.netweathe...rt-status;sess=

And to think there is not a single region without a flood alert or warning, it truly is crazy weather. The thing is, if someone states oh my god, how bad is it in their patch, you can safely say that they are not alone. help.gif To my mind, it almost makes things pointless, when posting my local patch conditions, if you start to think what others are enduring and will have to, in the days to come. lazy.gif

I haven't watched the news today but I suspect it is making rather grim headlines for a whole lot of folk.

Please take care folks and don't take unnecessary risks, more especially when travelling out and about, it won't be just your Christmas you might be ruining. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Rain for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

Valid from: 0005 on Sat 22 Dec 2012

Valid to: 0600 on Sun 23 Dec 2012

Further bands of heavy rain accompanied by strong winds are expected to move north and east across the southwest and southern England and south Wales through Saturday and early Sunday. Given that the ground is already saturated, the public should be prepared for the risk of localised flooding from both rivers and surface water. This could well lead to disruption to travel, with a low likelihood of severe disruption, particularly in parts of Devon and Cornwall.

This warning has been updated to include southern counties of England.

Issued at: 1046 on Sat 22 Dec 2012

Yellow Warning of Rain for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Peterborough, Thurrock, Norfolk, Suffolk & Southend-on-Sea

Valid to: 1200 on Sun 23 Dec 2012

Further bands of heavy rain accompanied by strong to gale force winds at times are expected to move northeastwards across many parts of the UK through Saturday and Sunday. Given that the ground is already saturated, the public should be aware of the risk of further localised flooding. The rain should largely clear away northeastwards on Sunday morning.

This warning has been updated to include the rest of eastern England.

Issued at: 1126 on Sat 22 Dec 2012

Please also refer to the amber warnings where the risk of disruption is greater.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=uk&from=rss&sn=8BE05C36-F4B8-FBEB-EB12-B83D09B3709D_7_SE&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-4.50&lat=55.74&fcTime=1356091260

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yellow Warning of Rain for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

Valid to: 0600 on Sun 23 Dec 2012

Further bands of heavy rain accompanied by strong winds are expected to move north and east across the southwest and southern England and south Wales through Saturday and early Sunday. Given that the ground is already saturated, the public should be prepared for the risk of localised flooding from both rivers and surface water. This could well lead to disruption to travel, with a low likelihood of severe disruption, particularly in parts of Devon and Cornwall.

This warning has been updated to include southern counties of England.

Issued at: 1046 on Sat 22 Dec 2012

Yellow Warning of Rain for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Peterborough, Thurrock, Norfolk, Suffolk & Southend-on-Sea

Valid to: 1200 on Sun 23 Dec 2012

Further bands of heavy rain accompanied by strong to gale force winds at times are expected to move northeastwards across many parts of the UK through Saturday and Sunday. Given that the ground is already saturated, the public should be aware of the risk of further localised flooding. The rain should largely clear away northeastwards on Sunday morning.

This warning has been updated to include the rest of eastern England.

Issued at: 1126 on Sat 22 Dec 2012

Please also refer to the amber warnings where the risk of disruption is greater.

http://www.metoffice...Time=1356091260

And the most worrying aspect of that latest update is the use of the word severe, for parts of Devon and Cornwall. I'll copy this into the SW thread MK, if you don't mind.

There will be light at the end of the tunnel but it needs to arrive more quickly than anticipated I feel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I was about to grumble about the lack of a weather warning for my area (I grumbled about it last night too) but the MetO have now updated their map before I could post. :)

Having just come through the country roads you can see the water just pouring off the fields and across the roads and into the ditches which are also full and hence the reason the River Ouse is reacting very quickly as witin the space of hours rather than days it's being filled with water from everywhere.

Posted

Having just come through the country roads you can see the water just pouring off the fields and across the roads and into the ditches which are also full and hence the reason the River Ouse is reacting very quickly as witin the space of hours rather than days it's being filled with water from everywhere.

Yes, very worrying Chris...there is just nowhere left for the water to go !

River Great Ouse flood warnings in Buckinghamshire

A flood warning has been issued for the Great Ouse in Buckinghamshire, as river levels continue to rise.

The Environment Agency (EA) has issued a warning for a stretch of the river in Newport Pagnell after rainfall on Thursday.

Areas near to North Bridge and Woad Farm are at risk.

The agency said further rainfall is expected on Saturday, and it would be monitoring the situation.

A spokesman said: "River levels have peaked in Brackley and Buckingham and river levels are still rising slowly at Newport Pagnell."

Milton Keynes Council said it had a crew on standby with sandbags.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-herts-20808222

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Just back from the food shop, it was total mayhem, like people shopping for end of the world! Alot of surface water and large puddles around the area and still raining although has eased in intensity..

Posted

Just back from the food shop, it was total mayhem, like people shopping for end of the world! Alot of surface water and large puddles around the area and still raining although has eased in intensity..

Is that for the last end of the world or the next one do you think ? unknw.gif

I don't get the panic buying, the shops are only closed for one day nonono.gif

I've made sure I have plenty of food and drink but what I don't understand is why people buy so many loaves of bread and pints of milk for Christmas....It's not what I'm going to be eating and drinking that's for sure pleasantry.gif

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

Fridge full, cake decorated, pressies wrapped, house cleaned. Just got to wait for Santa now!!

Posted

Good day one and all. :)

Have survived the shops again and thankfully have everything I need now for Chrimbo. No need to go out any more other than to walk the dog.

Just need to make mince pies and clean the house. Will do one or the other this afternoon. Nearly all ready.

Weather just miserable here as it is elsewhere. Hope you all stay safe and as dry as possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Is that for the last end of the world or the next one do you think ? unknw.gif

I don't get the panic buying, the shops are only closed for one day nonono.gif

I've made sure I have plenty of food and drink but what I don't understand is why people buy so many loaves of bread and pints of milk for Christmas....It's not what I'm going to be eating and drinking that's for sure pleasantry.gif

There was pushing and shoving going on at our supermarket. The queue for till was the worst, as we left a gap so as not to block the aisle so people could still get past. Woman behind us didn't leave a gap tho and just shoved her trolley right into my back. I wasn't best pleased!

People do go a bit mad. I did buy some extra different types of nuts, prefer that to stockpiling bread and milk!!

Posted

weather not looking good for us 2night heavy rain , only good day xmas day before it comes back water all over the place

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Potential for another 10-15mm of rain when this secondary rain band come through.

Posted

Just tried to get to edenbridge from here in twells, flooded rd 1 poor old lady stuck in her car in the middle of it, can't believe only me and. 1 other bloke stopped to help. We towed her out of flood( luckily had rope in the van). Once out of flood only 2 women stopped to help push it off the rd.

Lost count of the number of bloles coming steaming thru in their 4x4's not giving the slightest thought. Happy christmas to them not. Rant over back to the weather its wet.

Posted

Just tried to get to edenbridge from here in twells, flooded rd 1 poor old lady stuck in her car in the middle of it, can't believe only me and. 1 other bloke stopped to help. We towed her out of flood( luckily had rope in the van). Once out of flood only 2 women stopped to help push it off the rd.

Lost count of the number of bloles coming steaming thru in their 4x4's not giving the slightest thought. Happy christmas to them not. Rant over back to the weather its wet.

Very worrying to hear people are driving into flood water...

Just two feet of water is enough to float a car and six inches of fast flowing water can knock you off your feet. Flood water also contains hidden dangers such as open manhole covers....

......please all take care out there and don't take any risks good.gif

Posted

Potential for another 10-15mm of rain when this secondary rain band come through.

Makes you wonder when it will ever end !

post-10773-0-97409300-1356189618_thumb.j

Not the end of the world but not a great Christmas for people who's homes are flooded sad.png

Posted

Posted

with perhaps another 15mm today/tonight (maybe more) and then more rain on sun night/mon morning, our neighbourhood has ordered sandbags for the ditches. fields here in cambridgeshire are underwater and the ditches are about 3/4inches away from spilling into houses and roads.

Posted

Home at last , it's days like this that I have to remind myself why I have horses ! Fields and ménage totally flooded as is the lane to the yard. ☔☔ðŸŠðŸš£

Edited by geminitracie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Worryingly this rain band is much more widespread and heavier than what was progged, moisture levels are incredibly high resulting in this continued growth.