Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - December 19th 2012>

Coast

Posted

Morning all, still here so far! Looks like the rain has stopped at last. Not looking forward to tomorrow though :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Good Morning all.

It feels like a 'hold your breath' type of day (and I'm not talking about that Mayan nonsense) Good luck for anyone who's in a flood plain later this weekend.unsure.pngsad.png

Despite the weather, be good POETS and enjoy the weekend.smile.png

I think chertsey near me and addlestone will soon be put on a flood warning. I checked last night and th EA had a flood alert saying it will burst it's banks but not cause flooding to property (yet) my only concern is, as Peter Cockcroft said last night it takes 48hrs for the full amount of rain to drain into the rivers right in time for the next deluge and wanted to put a guess to 75mm over yesterday and the weekend total rainfall the average for Dec is 50mm!!!!!!!! At least we won't go thirsty for a little while eh? Maybe to boost our economy we could export drinking water from time to time ;) stay safe everyone and keep a good eye on river levels anybody near one :)

Posted

Here is the NMM model for total rainfall until midnight tomorrow; bearing in mind that there will likely be two more heavy rainfall events over the following couple of days. sad.png

post-11059-0-37968400-1356078479_thumb.p

Edited by Steve C

Posted

The zonal picture looks fairly set until the new year, at least. Wet at times and generally mild (exceptionally mild this weekend - we might see 14/15C on Sunday). Limited frost and no snow for us in the SE.

Hopefully things will change as we enter the new year. I think we will get something cold and wintry from mid-January onwards (as echoed by GP et al).

Sunny and 6.4C right now.

Edited by mulzy

Posted

^^^ nasty!

Morning all. Currently 6,3c here and feels quite mild. Going to make the most of the dry weather today and go visiting bearing gifts.

Hope everyone here has a good day, and stays dry and safe.

Posted

The run off from yesterday combined with what's coming is a big worry :(

Posted

Morning all, walking into work listening to Kate Rusby's Christmas album to get into the festive spirit...

Reigate doesn't look too bad after yesterday's deluge... Luckily it is mostly built on a greensand outcrop or the chalk downs so it all drains well...

Hope the floods are subsiding a little where you are and AS's dad has an outboard motor to arrive safely for Christmas!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

I see we are still here so the world hasn't ended yet then ?

Some serious issues with flooding though, river levels won't have peaked yet and with more rain due on Saturday it's not looking good - thankfully it should have stopped raining by Christmas day but it might be too late to save some property, hopefully there won't be loss of life and everyone will listen to the warnings and evacuate if necessary.

Please keep checking the EA site for your area here http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31618.aspx and don't take any chances driving through flood water take another route if possible.

It's not looking good for Newport Pagnell but most of MK is protected from serious flooding to property by the balancing lakes like Willen which is one of the largest (400,000 m²) purpose-built storm water balancing lakes in the UK. The lake is designed to take surface run-off from Milton Keynes, the largest of a number of lakes here designed to do so. The lake has capacity for an additional level increase of 1.3 metres, equivalent to a once in 200 year’s event....hopefully it will be enough !

.......take care all and stay dry, well on the outside anyway drinks.gif

Posted

See my post earlier coast ^^

Ahh yes, great minds and all that! (unsure.png )

I've animated the NW Extra NMM, not a pretty sight:

beff9982d746cd95b1d592d04e038fe2.gif

That area around the IOW and inland again in for lots of water :doh:

Morning all,

I see we are still here so the world hasn't ended yet then ?

Morning!!

Not until 11.11 am? acute.gif

Posted

ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I've just looked out of the window and a huge yellow ball is hanging in the sky above Eastbourne!!!!! Is it really the end???????

3048273727_6a91c55d96.jpg

acute.gif

Posted

Not until 11.11 am? acute.gif

I didn't know they had said a precise time….. but even so, Mayan time is later than UK time - they were much further east so I guess that would make it sometime in the afternoon not 11:11am which means I have time to do the grocery shopping first then good.gif

Posted

ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I've just looked out of the window and a huge yellow ball is hanging in the sky above Eastbourne!!!!! Is it really the end???????

acute.gif

Is it an asteroid?ohmy.png

Posted

Is it an asteroid?ohmy.png

If it is, it's nice and warm rofl.gif

asteroids_game-thumb-550x296-20225.jpeg

Edited by Coast

Posted

ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

acute.gif

Stay indoors Coast, and if I were you hide under the duvet!

Posted

Stay indoors Coast, and if I were you hide under the duvet!

I wouldn't want to waste my final hours on this planet, besides, I've still got work to finish before the holiday break!!! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Ey up.........I'm still here. :o So much for Mayan's then. It's mild here in Ippy again but bright and wet. No rain.

At about 02:00 this morning my nephew saw a man running around the back of the house. Probably one of the Four Horsemen who'd lost his mates. That's why there was no Apocalyptic event. :D

Posted

good to see we have all survived, was a bit touch and go for bit - thought there was a sign of impending doom at 11:10 when my boss decided he wanted he wanted to go to the pub for lunch. But we're still here, so maybe not.

anyway, cloudy here in Canary Wharf.

Posted

Please all take care on the roads if your travelling around visiting friends and relatives or dashing about doing last minute shopping this weekend…

Yellow Warning of Rain for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

Yellow Warning of Rain for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Peterborough & Thurrock

valid from 0005 Sat 22 Dec to 1200 Sun 23 Dec

Further bands of heavy rain accompanied by strong winds are expected to move north-eastwards across the southwest of England through Saturday and Sunday.

Given that the ground is already saturated, the public should be aware of the risk of localised flooding and disruption to travel.

And then there is Monday……..

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Buckinghamshire, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

Yellow Alert of Rain for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Norfolk, Suffolk & Thurrock

Valid from: 0005 on Mon 24 Dec 2012

Valid to: 2359 on Mon 24 Dec 2012

A further spell of wet weather is expected to affect parts of England and Wales on Christmas Eve, southern areas in particular. Given already saturated ground from recent rainfall, the public should be aware of the risk of further localized flooding and disruption to travel.

Issued at: 1136 on Fri 21 Dec 2012

http://www.metoffice...Time=1356004860

Edited by MKsnowangel