Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - December 19th 2012>

Coast

Posted

Almost scary to go for a lunchtime walk out in the sun with just a tee-shirt and jeans on today. I'm getting my clothes ready for tomorrow now:

children-s-diving-suit-20050-2872989.jpgrt-nylon-chest-waders.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'm a bit surprised that my area isn't included in the weather warning zone until Monday.unsure.png

Maybe the expected rainfall wouldn't normally justify a warning, but the ground is absolutely sodden here and about 20mm of rain yesterday caused several flood warnings in Essex and I expect flood warnings to be issued again tomorrow. If the rainfall level is such that flood warnings are likely to be issued, then an appropriate weather warning should go out beforehand (imho)

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Hello all

Nice to see we all here still!

well just finished house from top to bottom.

Just a few last minute gifts to get i am ready.

So bring on the crimbo i say:))))

Posted

This may be my last word on tomorrow as I'm concerned now it will lead to serious issues and we all pretty well know it's coming. How bad? At least as bad as yesterday I think:

30_4.gif

36_4.gif

Falling in some pretty similar locations too, so compounding the problems already there:

It's just not good :(

gfs_prec_eur30.png

Posted

A look up to Boxing Day using the models:

A band of heavy rain will move eastwards during the course of tomorrow, not clearing the east coast until the evening. Up to 30mm+ possible in some areas towards the south coast (GFS 06z PPN accumilation up to 00:00 on Sunday):

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs4214.gif

NAE 06z PPN accumilation up to 00:00 on Sunday:

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2012/12/21/basis12/ukuk/rsum/12122300_2112.gif

The area of LP will introduce a mild sector of air into Sunday:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn422.png

Very mild overnight, not falling below 9-10C in some areas. Sunday will be a very mild day for the time of year and will be mainly dry for all though quite windy, with temperatures up to 13C.

Into Christmas eve, a bit more uncertainty, but to my eye it's not looking as wet as it was looking yesterday:

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax84s.gif?20-0

Some light rain around, particularly towards the south of the region, but clearing into the afternoon. Still mild, though not as mild as Sunday, with maximum temperatures of around 10C.

Onto Christmas day, at the moment it's looking mainly dry with a risk of a few showers.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm961.gif

Temperatures varying from 7C in the north of the region to 10C on the south coast. A slight frost into Boxing Day.

Boxing Day again appears mainly dry with the risk of a few showers, though in a cooler airflow temperatures will be lower than Christmas Day, with maximum temperatures between 4-7C.

Posted

So what are you all up to for the holidays then? smiliz19.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Working during the non public holiday days, but it'll be a do(ss)ddle...biggrin.png

Otherwise overdoing everything, as per usual.drinks.gif

And yourself?

Posted

And yourself?

Plenty of relaxing and weather permitting, long walks and exploration. I've built up a stock of different rums that would see the Royal Navy good through the Winter and I'll be doing my annual Caribbean drinking cruise from Island to Island, by way of each individual bottles origin. I think I have every country and Island covered this year and the one that eluded me, is on its way I've just heard!

Cheers!! h010.gif

Catch you all in the (damp) morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Well, sent the lovely wife out to get a Brazilian and she come's back with this fool.gif

Still, Can't grumble smiliz39.gif

post-9329-0-19443700-1356114486_thumb.pn

Edited by shotski

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

w00t.gif

Just out of interest boiling water would do the same in this country at -5 etc, cold water would just drop as, well cold water huh.png

Posted

MT8_London_ens.png

warm and very wet to the 25th

big spread on the 27th

that is fi at present

be nice to see some agreement on these further out than recently

Posted

I have carrots to buy tomorrow and bread. And maybe a bottle of medicinal lager for my festive shandy. Tonight I have The Hobbit to endure. My daughter's idea. She tells me I may fancy one of the dwarves. I hope tights are involved.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

Rain in coming....

Oh no,not more rain.

River Great Ouse here is very high allready,ironic that work on the flood defences being built here since May has stopped cos of the err....... flooding.

Edited by 80sWeather

Posted

This is a question to those who have travelled along the A27/A23/A24 in the last couple of days. I'm due to deliver pressies to my sisters who live in Worthing and Sompting tomorrow am. I'm leaving from Crawley, which route would be best to avoid any flooding? I'm normally travel down via through Henfield but I'm guessing it's probably best to avoid that route!

Cheers peeps!

Posted

This is a question to those who have travelled along the A27/A23/A24 in the last couple of days. I'm due to deliver pressies to my sisters who live in Worthing and Sompting tomorrow am. I'm leaving from Crawley, which route would be best to avoid any flooding? I'm normally travel down via through Henfield but I'm guessing it's probably best to avoid that route!

Cheers peeps!

Hi,

A23 is ok, as I have been that way today. A27 Shoreham - Lancing has roadworks (quite slow when busy) I went through Henfield and Steyning, right out to the A24 on Wednesday in the deluge, and the back roads were passable but with a lot of standing water.

Posted

ukmo rainfall amounts of concern

UW18-594.GIF?21-18

UW24-594.GIF?21-18

UW30-594.GIF?21-18

UW36-594.GIF?21-18

UW42-594.GIF?21-18

UW60-594.GIF?21-18

UW72-594.GIF?21-18

anyone near rivers or in low lying areas could get some problems if these are correct

update the fax charts later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Soooo, damp then?

What are the odds that if and when we do get long lasting cold, precipitation will be nowhere to be seen ;-)

River near me is 5 feet above normal level with the 3 days of deluge to come I have real concern for my girlfriends house (I have not told her yet)

Her house is about 600-700 yards away from the river there is an overflow trench that was dug to allow water to temp flow out but that fills quickly..

She said she walked past it Thursday and it had burst its bank (some spots it only takes 2 feet and its over) I have never seen it so high....

It would take a lot to get to her house BUT we have a lot of rain to come so I am going to keep a VERY close eye on it near me as it flows past me (would never reach me unless we had monsoon)

I am going to get up in the morning about 6-7 and go check it and take some photos as I think it will have risen more in the morning :/

Posted

hi surrey

hopefully the charts have overcooked the rain

the only good thing was today kept dry

all we can do at present is keep fingers crossed