Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - December 19th 2012>

Coast

Posted

Morning peeps, is it safe to come out on deck of the Ark???

15.8mm of rain in the last 24 hours but the cumulative totals for the last few days shows just how wet and rubbish it's been:

post-6667-0-57579900-1356253459_thumb.pn

So much to do today outside, the horse is in his own private swimming pool, the dog is going to need water wings and I can see a Sunday spent in wellies :doh:

What I really can't stand is this mildness. It seems like the whole year has the thermostat set at one temperature and apart from a few cold spells recently, it's not wavered.

Oh well, just going to have to try and battle through it all some how........ a045.gif

Posted

Flood disruption continues as more rain forecast

Flooding and heavy rain are continuing to cause problems in south-west England and parts of Wales and Scotland.

Overnight, a woman was found clinging to a tree after she was swept away from her car near Barnstaple, north Devon. One severe flood warning remains in place in Cornwall and nearly 190 flood warnings in England and Wales. Scotland has 18 flood alerts and 28 flood warnings, mainly for Perthshire, Tayside and Angus. There are reports of flooding in Stonehaven, near Aberdeen. And there are fears for for Brecon, Arbroath and Angus.

Some rail services are still severely disrupted by the weather, with First Great Western advising people not to make non-essential train journeys in south-west England. With more rain expected, rivers in the South West will struggle to cope, the Environment Agency warns. It says there is a heightened flood risk across Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Bristol, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, West and East Sussex, North Yorkshire, south Wales, Ceredigion and Gwynedd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20829807

Still, maybe these high winds that are coming later will become our hair-dryer or will they cause problems with tree roots and ground already so soaked??

gfs_gusts_eur30.png

24_21.gif

There's a surprise, more rain.....

24_4.gif

Looks like Santa is going to be a bit wet this year:

gfs_prec_eur48.png

santa-rain.jpg

Edited by Coast

Posted

Can we try a little experiment here?

Try rubbing your monitor or screen as we've just installed a scratch and sniff app.....

bacon-sandwich-thumb-450x351.jpg

Posted

It may be my limited understanding of the charts but I can't really see where this SE Wind event is. Isobars on the models don't appear to be particularly tight and mean wind speeds even for the middle of the Channel don't look anything out of the ordinary. Can someone enlighten me please? I've got to travel tomorrow morning.

Edited by Wivenswold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Rain for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Buckinghamshire, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham, Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, West Sussex, Kent & Medway

Yellow Warning of Rain for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Norfolk, Suffolk, Thurrock & Southend-on-Sea

Valid from: 0005 on Mon 24 Dec 2012

Valid to: 2359 on Mon 24 Dec 2012

Further spells of rain are expected to affect parts of England and Wales during Christmas Eve, southern areas in particular. Given already saturated ground from recent rainfall, the public should be aware of the risk of further localised flooding and disruption to travel.

Issued at: 1050 on Sun 23 Dec 2012

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=uk&from=rss&sn=66EA1FF0-1C31-B31C-8578-B862EB27837E_7_SE&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-4.50&lat=55.74&fcTime=1356177660

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Morning peeps, is it safe to come out on deck of the Ark???

15.8mm of rain in the last 24 hours but the cumulative totals for the last few days shows just how wet and rubbish it's been:

post-6667-0-57579900-1356253459_thumb.pn

So much to do today outside, the horse is in his own private swimming pool, the dog is going to need water wings and I can see a Sunday spent in wellies :doh:

What I really can't stand is this mildness. It seems like the whole year has the thermostat set at one temperature and apart from a few cold spells recently, it's not wavered.

Oh well, just going to have to try and battle through it all some how........ a045.gif

Yes the one temperature theory is true,i work with an Estonian and he said we have 2 seasons, warm n wet and cold n wet all year round!

Posted

Kids fighting already. When do the schools go back?

In other news, I have cleaned the house from top to bottom and now await Christmas. Bring it on, I am ready.

Plus it is dry here and I saw the sun, once, yep it dared to shine on my back garden. :D

Have a good afternoon Southeasteastanglians. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I've been walking in and around Buckingham (my old home town) this morning to look at the floods, the river Ouse runs through the town with several bridges crossing one side to the other

post-10773-0-32289100-1356268629_thumb.j

The rivers normal level here would be about 0.48m but it's currently at 1.19m (highest recorded is 1.99m)

post-10773-0-91446000-1356268718_thumb.jpost-10773-0-07158100-1356268765_thumb.j

A couple of roads were impassable so I had to take alternative routes

post-10773-0-37389200-1356268897_thumb.j

the ditches are full and overflowing, it's been years since I've seen the surrounding fields under so much water!

post-10773-0-10150800-1356268977_thumb.jpost-10773-0-97541800-1356269034_thumb.j

there is a lot of very fast flowing water moving downstream, the ducks seemed to be enjoying it though

post-10773-0-16869200-1356269101_thumb.jpost-10773-0-73523600-1356269140_thumb.j

post-10773-0-22688700-1356269299_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Siberian
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level

Thank you great stuff

Posted

Copenhagen airport closed a runway delaying arriving flights. Trains upto 50 minute delays..... Snow expected to get heavier through this evening here.... The wind is gusting 65mph in the last hour.... Whiteout conditions since 2pm here.... Before the snow started windchill was -17c! Drifting dry powder snow i havent seen since 2010.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Snow envy!! Mild mush here. Feels odd sat inside with Xmas lights and slippers on when its around 12degrees outside!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Snow envy!! Mild mush here. Feels odd sat inside with Xmas lights and slippers on when its around 12degrees outside!!

I should think it does feel odd wearing Christmas lights, I would not like it- could get an electric shock, especially.rofl.gif

Very dull here now in Chelmsford, rain no doubt due again soon. Went down to the City Centre earlier to get a few odd last minutes bits of shopping and the river was fast rushing and the ground remains saturated.

Merry Christmas everyone

Posted

Local news on tv just had warning for freezing rain on top of the 6-8 inches of snow, drifts of 1-2ft, still blowing 50mph outside.... Just cleared drive in pitch black with pink sky and what lookslike glitter blasting you in the face.... Ouch.... At least the booze is on ice in the carport and south park is on tv at 1745!

Merry xmas hope the rain stops soon in uk..... Its relentless..... Meant to be rain here for the rest of my stay here maybe some sleet/ snow mixed in but not laying..... Same storm systems uk having htting here day after day next week boooo.....

Edited by willinkent44

Posted

When will this rain go away? The low pressure systems out in the Atlantic are just relentless at the moment and they have been for the last 18 months!! Ruining both summer and winter!!

18months ago, up until about 9 months ago, we were in a drought. the rain in the last 9 months though has been mental

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

18months ago, up until about 9 months ago, we were in a drought. the rain in the last 9 months though has been mental

Yep pretty much bang on cue with the drought and hosepipe restrictions being announced, it has rained ever since!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Evening all.

With only 239 posts to go before we hit 1,000,000 total posts on this forum, who's going to be the millionth poster? :D

Posted

MT8_London_ens.png

fi on the 28th +5 to -5 spread

wet and warm before hand

cold dip on the 26th

some fairly warm ensemble runs but also some colder options

at present no real clue showing here although the higher percentage is for warmer

Posted

heres a gfs chart which we could do without

long way out however

this would cause some very strong winds which with the

volume of water on the ground would cause problems

Rtavn3241.png

Rtavn3361.png

wind

Rtavn3248.png

Rtavn3368.png

and the rain

Rtavn3244.png

Rtavn3364.png

i expect this to change again but posted for interest purposes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Hi all

Just been whatching the Snowman, can't believe its 30 years old and I remember doing it as a school play cray.gif

Anyway ECM Model at day 10 brings some hope for the end of this Mild & wet dross, I'm still going for a potent cold

january (maybe record breaking) RAMP

post-9329-0-50981400-1356289883_thumb.pn

post-9329-0-00236800-1356290050_thumb.gi

Edited by shotski

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I passed over the River Ouse (A272) at Newick today and couldn't resist getting out and taking some photos. There is still a flood warning downstream. Thank God for today's reprieve.

post-4523-0-56669500-1356291163_thumb.jp

post-4523-0-25889600-1356291191_thumb.jp

post-4523-0-83148400-1356291223_thumb.jp

post-4523-0-04802800-1356291318_thumb.jp

Can you make out the river?