Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland regional discussion 21/12/12 and beyond

The watcher

Posted

Looks good for Thursday into Friday if the precip charts are anything to go by! From 87hrs right out to 117hrs. Thats a hell of allot of snow if it happens. Looks to me that the incoming front comes up against the block and eventually the cold winning out. Netweather gives it a 90% chance of happening. Very interesting!

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Posted

Its hard to believe that those snow charts are only 3 days away yet there is zero confidence in them occuring.

Certainly nothing from they Met Office.

Big big 12z tonight.

Posted

In fairness mountain shadow, the lack of solidity is what's scaring most off believing it! Look tomorrow at the hires charts and we'll have a much clearer picture...

I tentatively believe for the moment **kiss of death**

Posted

I would do anything for this to verify. Metcheck long range charts for Derry looks epic!! Lol! Working in Omagh this week Pom so hopefully I see some snow on my travels! Lol

Posted

trends for cold to be pushed further west are continuing with each run so wouldn't be surprised if there was a nice snowfest for midweek and the weekend. east coast most at risk though i'd say.

Posted

trends for cold to be pushed further west are continuing with each run so wouldn't be surprised if there was a nice snowfest for midweek and the weekend. east coast most at risk though i'd say.

East coast how Mark? If the cold air pushes further west then all areas are at risk with approaching fronts from the Atlantic! As was said above a big big 12z on the way today and hopefully a nice sober run from the 18's tonight followed by an epic 00z! Lol!

Posted

East coast because that's were the coldest air will be currently. Of course that could and will change with each westward movement hopefully.

Posted

They are useless, but the Met Office automated forecasts have updated to show a snow symbol for Friday night, along with gale force south easterlies means possible blizzards.

To be taken with a large dose of salt, but that is the first snow symbol ive seen this winter and an indication that the Uk Met Computers have picked it up like the GFS above

Posted

Just caught up on model thread and some are suggesting parts of Ireland could see up to 29cms by Saturday! Pomeroy i hope you have bought in supplies! Have you by any chance got that picture of your car from 2 years ago with all the snow on it? Think it was you anyway!

Posted

Snowing on the Glenshane at the minute! Northern Ireland Weather just put on Facebook that we could be seeing 20cms plus on Friday but stressed that the way the models are at the minute this could all be rain. I would give it 24-48 hours before we can nail it but in all honestly I think things are starting to fall into place and thats the last 4 runs that have been suggesting this. I don't think the atlantic will win and god knows what's gonna happen after Friday!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Crazy, absolutely crazy charts. A quick look would make you think an Atlantic storm and zonal was on the way, but a second glance shows the HP to the NE Exerting more and more influence. We want it West, but too far West and no precipitation, too far East and no snow. The battle ground hasn't been far away from Ireland the last few days of runs, a little further West and it'd be perfect for ALL IRELAND drinks.gif to catch some. That's my ramp for the day help.gif .

Oops, forgot to say that Bangor has seen alot of shallow convection today with sleet and hail showers quite frequent. Pretty good for literally 20 meters from the coast.

Edited by The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Certainly looks interesting for parts of the north and east next Friday.

Why did I choose to go to university in Cork...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Perhaps there's still hope for much of the country, just not a lot!

P11 from the 12z GFS

post-6901-0-49117300-1358189469_thumb.pn

post-6901-0-87649200-1358189480_thumb.pn

post-6901-0-28131200-1358189493_thumb.pn

P4 looks good too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms

Perhaps there's still hope for much of the country, just not a lot!

P11 from the 12z GFS

post-6901-0-49117300-1358189469_thumb.pn

post-6901-0-87649200-1358189480_thumb.pn

post-6901-0-28131200-1358189493_thumb.pn

P4 looks good too

How would you rate inland Donegal's chances?

Posted

BBC news line still adamant it's only sleet and hill snow on Friday. What charts are they looking at???