Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland regional discussion 21/12/12 and beyond

The watcher

Posted

Big lad things are changing and hopefully things will firm up tomorrow. Certainly much more positive for the east. Mountain shadow are these the updated fax charts? Can't get access to them.

Have a look at the first page on the main model thread. There is an accumulation chart on it.

Big Lad. Dont worry about the milder day tomorrow, it will cool down quick enough

Posted

what kind of temps would we need for snow to actually settle and accumulate?

The main thing for settling snow is dew point temps of 0 degrees or less.

Posted

I have to say, I am very unhappy with all the ME bashing going on here. By the way, I have absolutely no affiliation to them, but in all my years watching all the models and listening to ME, I find them quite realistic, and very accurate.

The models have been anything but reliable of late, so why should they hang their coats on any particular hook? For me, if anyone is so vociferous about our PROFESSIONAL weather forecasters and their uncertainty, it just goes to show a real lack of knowledge of meteorology.

These folk are top of the range meteorologists with vast experience. Some people would do well to remember and respect that.

yes fair point. However the guy on ret at the moment, I have no confidence in him. Terrible presentation, no charisma, suits ret well I suppose.

Posted

I have to say, I am very unhappy with all the ME bashing going on here. By the way, I have absolutely no affiliation to them, but in all my years watching all the models and listening to ME, I find them quite realistic, and very accurate.

The models have been anything but reliable of late, so why should they hang their coats on any particular hook? For me, if anyone is so vociferous about our PROFESSIONAL weather forecasters and their uncertainty, it just goes to show a real lack of knowledge of meteorology.

These folk are top of the range meteorologists with vast experience. Some people would do well to remember and respect that.

That's all well and good but why do they change their forecasts about 2 or 3 times a day. there grand for short range forecasting, lets say within a day smile.png but i find their outlooks change too much too be taking seriously.

Edited by markok

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

rte 9.30 weather forcast coming shortly.

Christ he didnt even mention the possibility of snow,didnt even mention sleet????????????????????

Posted

absolutely no mention of snow or the possibility of snow in that forecast.

beat me to it sundog!

Edited by BIG LAD

Posted

seems that met.ie have this one nailed.

just checked on boards.ie there and its bloody hilarious some of the comments after that forcast. they are going apeonions! please people if you want to left trouser leg yourselves laughing then go the 'let it snow and be cold' page on boards.the build up and reaction to that forecast is priceless.lol

Edited by BIG LAD

Posted

absolutely no mention of snow or the possibility of snow in that forecast.

beat me to it sundog!

I think he has used the same graphics as earlier, despite 12z output since then. It's work to rule in ret &met eireann, you can imagine for very vast number of people this is acceptable.

Posted

no, it seems not, did you look at the charts he showed? As far as Sunday, we were never getting snow Friday anyway, we are looking very good if that low moves se on Sunday. As it happens too cold. He should have said something, even the possibility.

Do the Met.ie forecasts include Northern Ireland?

yes, the whole island Edited by Downburst

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

just checked on boards.ie there and its bloody hilarious some of the comments after that forcast. they are going apeonions! please people if you want to left trouser leg yourselves laughing then go the 'let it snow and be cold' page on boards.the build up and reaction to that forecast is priceless.lol

Yes some of the comments on there are very funny,yer man saying he was shouting at the tv for example saying "Gerry you f###ing liar "and his wife telling him to calm down.laugh.png

Edited by sundog

Posted

Watching it roll out here! Brilliant stuff and in the reliable timeframe but we can't get excited yet due to this mornings output! Crazy crazy model watching this week! Definitely an upgrade tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I have to step in folks. I know its a tough and anxious time for us all but we shouldn't discount anyones forecast with so much uncertainty. In respect of met.ie I think we should leave all criticism aside until such times as they are proved wrong. I'm half hammered in the middle of my snooker match, can't be dealing with poop hitting the fan right now.

*Edited for Whiskey spelling mistakes*

Edited by The watcher

Posted

Yes some of the comments on there are very funny,yer man saying he was shouting at the tv for example saying "Gerry you f###ing liar "and his wife telling him to calm down.laugh.png

i havent laughed as much in a long time. they are calling for him to be publicly flogged/snowballed if it does snow. was a v poor forecast in fairness to not even mention the possibilty of something wintry on high ground even.

Posted

gfs brill. snow for us dubs if it came off. can't believe met eireann haven't even mentioned the possibility of snow even if it's unlikely. there at zero. bet ya the met eireann website updates again later :)

Posted

I have to step in folks. I know its a tough and anxious time for us all but we shouldn't discount anyones forecast with so much uncertainty. In resdct of met.ie I think we should leave all criticism aside until such times as they are proved wrong. I'm half hammered in the middle of my snooker match, can't be dealing with poop hitn the fan right now. S

Don't come back till you've wrapped that one up with a 147 in the last, a session to spare and a promise from Michele Tabb.