Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland regional discussion 21/12/12 and beyond

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I'm in the sleet area of that. Cursed doh.gif

Posted

House work - isn't that what the wife is for?? (wonders why he is seperated smiley)

I am pretty confident that favoured spots will see some of the white stuff on Sunday

A wife....what's that? I live on my own in my wee 2 bed house, but going to be renting a room shortly so doing a bit of shuffling and decorating etc. Young ladies will get discount. spiteful.gif

Posted

I know, if you look at it long enough it looks like it has a life (of raising eyebrows) on its own. spiteful.gifspiteful.gifspiteful.gifspiteful.gifcrazy.gif

Posted

if the 9.30pm Gfs run upgrades everyone will be able to have a nice sleep tonight :)... lots of great potential ahead. thank god for the ECM last 2 days!

Posted

Huge upgrade on the 18z Ops run, snow pretty much everywhere across the islands. Sure, some would miss out and some get loads, but at least the snow train is coming...

Posted

wow what a run. both gfs and ecm in agreement now tonight at last. well done ecm on showing the way. snowfest on the way now hopefully. met eireann will have to give out warnings 2moro evening if the models stick to their guns on the runs 2moro :)..exciting times ahead :)

Posted

I wouldn't know one model from another but I do like it when a couple of posters that do use terms like snowfest and snow train. Nice one, hoping it comes off, I do enjoy a wee bit of snow.

Edit: A bit off the topic from weather but I used to be able to see peoples locations, where did they all go, did I change something?

Edited by Watsy

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I dunno is it me but i dont get the excitment over the latest gfs run id be excited if i lived in the UK but it looks pretty marginal to me for snow in ireland,the cold uppers seem to struggle to make much in roads over the country apart from a few days. Heights are not great over greenland either for much of the time????

Edited by sundog

Posted

Granted things look better across the water as they are nearer the colder air, however there will be wintry/snow showers around and if the cold air stays around we could have some heavy snow as the atlantic moves against the block.

The lack of proper high latitude blocking is a worry however with the SSW reducing the power of the Jet stream we could just about get away with it.

Posted

Edit: A bit off the topic from weather but I used to be able to see peoples locations, where did they all go, did I change something?

The mods turn off inessential features like location at times of high traffic because of bandwidth.

Posted

Yep Skywatcher, they have switched them off for the time being to save Bandwidth, which is why (maybe you could all do it too) I'm putting my location in my signature.

Don't think you have a warning point MS, can't see it on your profile. Warning points are usually omitted on reported posts.

Yes, GFS is marginal for Ireland, but we still have time for changes. The last ECM run was 2c lower in 850's for Ireland. We might scrape another couple of degrees off the 850's on the next 1 or 2 GFS Runs. With 3 days still to go and upwards....we could easily see more correction West....or in bad terms, east. I favor the West option though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms

Hi guys. New member and only have basic knowledge of model reading. How is it looking for northern Ireland in regards to snow?

Are we better or worse off in the latest GFS or from the 18.00 GFS? Also GFS aside, in your own opinion what do you think it will be like for N.I

Thanks for taking time to read this and I appreciate any feedback..Cheers

Posted

The way the models are I can't see us getting any proper snow. Maybe hills and mountains. That it. Just not happening for us I'm afraid. England will get loads !

Posted

Hello Beaufort - at the moment I would suggest rain/sleet for Sunday/Monday - but I have a sneaky suspision that this good upgrade to a some a bit more white for favoured areas - where abouts are you based??

Well I'd the precip charts are anything to go by then we should have 6 hours of snow on Sunday morning and it's been showing for a few days now! Hard to predict snow but I'm pretty sure that somewhere will see snow over the next week and maybe even a surprise fall thrown in! Just like Pomeroy I'm pretty confident!!

Posted

Hi Beaufort. I'm new on here as well, having recently moved to NI.

As to snow, the charts at the moment say no but westward shifts have been known before. We could in a best case scenario be in a very good position if there's a westward shift. I'm going for perhaps a little snow but mainly sleet and rain. However, anything this weekend is a bonus. It's next week we should be excited about. The potential's there for us.

Watcher - location in signature as suggested: that's a good idea.

Posted

Welcome to all our new members!!

In my humble opinion it looks like the east of England will get the most snow, but hopefully we will see some too!