Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion - Cold Hunting -23/12/12

phil nw.

Posted

Looking closer at the runs & ENS we are moving close to a bartlett scenario at day 8-10

I hope not. what a waste of Winter.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2012122418/gfsnh-0-144.png?18

Classic

Steve

I was just thinking the exact same thing watching the 18Z roll out. It does look very much that type of set up with lows headed NE and a perennial high pressure belt to the SE. Very difficult pattern to break out of. It's the classic zonal Bartlett.

How on earth did we get here from the charts we were lookin at two weeks ago?

Jason

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Looking closer at the runs & ENS we are moving close to a bartlett scenario at day 8-10

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-144.png?18

Classic

Steve

Grim isn't it Steve. Let's hope these model predictions don't spoil peoples' Christmases too much :p

Merry Christmas all!

Posted

At least we have a strat warming forecast that will give us a chance of moving the vortex from the normal Vortex to our north, HP from the south Bartlett/Iberian high position. Very naive surely saying saying about waste of winter and other things with projected things that could go in our way we have 2 months to get out of it.

Christmas greetings to you all!

Posted

Well it's a cooler run than the 12z a slight improvement better tilted run , we have been saved from a even milder outcome

And for what its worth the PV seems weaker with slightly better highs over Greenland. No real changes in the overall outlook yet though.

Posted

Pretty grim stuff from the GFS 18hrs run, jet flattens out and its downhill from there.

I'm beginning to feel that all our eggs are in the strat basket, that warming is still shown. If that doesn't deliver a big change then we really are in trouble!

Anyway all have a Great Xmas, lets hope the New Year brings about a change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

A better 18z however still looks bad from a coldies perspective, hopefully father Christmas has left us a surprise in the morning! Merry Christmas to all!w00t.gif

Posted

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-144.png?18

Classic

Steve

Yes, it's got the late 80s/late 90s signature there. If we get to that, then it's 10-15 days after that before you could look to see anything cold, which takes to mid-Jan.

Hopefully we will begin to see the building blocks of change by the second week of the New Year, but we know from past experience the longevity that sort of set-up can endure.

Posted

Pretty grim stuff from the GFS 18hrs run, jet flattens out and its downhill from there.

I'm beginning to feel that all our eggs are in the strat basket, that warming is still shown. If that doesn't deliver a big change then we really are in trouble!

Anyway all have a Great Xmas, lets hope the New Year brings about a change.

Don't think it's a bad as the 12z nick?

Merry Christmas to you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

GFS and ECM/UKMO very different on the southwards extent of the cold uppers at +72:

GFS:

12122712_2418.gif

ECM:

12122712_2412.gif

UKMO:

12122712_2412.gif

So some short term interest still for a lot of us within the next 3 days.

Anyway, merry christmas to all, it's been a long but enjoyable spell of model watching and I hope for all our sakes that the strat delivers the goods in the New Year.

Posted

Looks like the only snow coming our way for next 2 weeks might fall off santas sleigh

Merry Xmas

Knowing our luck we will even miss that due to a shortwave knocking Santa off his Sleigh.laugh.png

Im going to enjoy xmas and return in the New year but even then im not too optimistic the models would of changed that much. This is one pattern that is difficult to get out of.

Merry Xmas everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Elephant Cox and bartletts - aaaaarghh !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Christmas parties are going to be awkward with Uncle Bartlett hanging around (not the user just in case wires are crossed blum.gif )

Hopefully things will pick up in the near year. Merry Christmas smiliz39.gif

Posted

Looks like the NOGAPS will be no NOMORE after February!

Meteociel - Modèle Numérique américain NOGAPS

Behold the NAVGEM!!!!!!

GODAE: Global Ocean Data Assimilation Experiment- Project News

"MAR 13, 2013 - TRANSITION FROM NOGAPS TO NAVGEM COMPLETE. NOGAPS

MODEL WILL BE REMOVED FROM OPERATIONS."

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Awful charts for cold lovers. Heights to our south and south west are moving in the wrong direction for winter! Steve M mentioned this sometime ago and I responded then saying that I shared his concerns. I think there is so much more value in posting an anlysis of what is causing the current pattern vs what was forecast vs what is forecast for the future. There are some excellent posts in this and other threads but what is sometimes frustrating is always reading about the future stuff which may or may not happen and not really understanding the present when it's here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I was just thinking the exact same thing watching the 18Z roll out. It does look very much that type of set up with lows headed NE and a perennial high pressure belt to the SE. Very difficult pattern to break out of. It's the classic zonal Bartlett.

How on earth did we get here from the charts we were lookin at two weeks ago?

Jason

Just when you think it cant get any worse the gfs gives us an absolute horror show!! Classic zonality in its most hideous manifestation!! Whilst the bartlett that we are seeing develop isnt a classic one ala feb 98 http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1998/Rrea00119980214.gif (shudderbad.gif ) its pretty close and as SM said in his classic piece of a few years back, ode to winter, this slug pattern can quite easily wipe out a month of winter!!

I sense a change in this forum now, changing from being slightly angry and peeved at what we are seeing develop to grim resignation that Jan could also go the way of the pear!! GOD I HOPE IM WRONG!!

Posted

My best attempt to find something decent

ECM 12z ensmble means

12zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH240.gif12zecmwfensnao.gifeps_nao_bias.png

EDM101-240.GIF?24-0

Although i feel the NAEFS sums up the general model consensus, at least for the first days of Jan. Although the ECM means at least look a little more interesting

naefs-0-0-240.png?12

Edit: Although definitely a lot of colder ensembles, with the ops generally at the milder end! A small chance it might not be as mild as we may think, something to keep an eye on over the next few days

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Nadolig Llawen (Merry Christmas) everyone! smiliz39.gif

Posted

As expected the low to our north at 111hrs was overpowered on the 18z however now we have a trio of lows on the 00z, but deeper cold comes quicker via the 18z but the 00z still brings a watered down cold NW/W wind.

post-17320-0-09664000-1356408548_thumb.p

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Attempt at a mid atlantic ridge from the 00z at 183hrs (not shown on the flat 18z) maybe something to keep an eye on ie straw to clutch..

post-17320-0-49006300-1356410157_thumb.p

Edited by Panayiotis