Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 4th January 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I always think a topic is best suited for the cold weather.

But saying that its dark and dank this morning

post-1848-0-24632500-1357553701_thumb.jp

Edited by David H

Wait, this thread is meant to have a topic?ohmy.png

It should probably have a needle too hi.gif

Waw, swirly stuff:

post-2844-0-71278800-1357553721_thumb.pn

Topic or no topic at least this thread retains a certain degree of sanity. I don't know why I ever decided to sneak a peak in the model thread but now I have I'm addicted, but oh my, isn't it a rollercoaster ride. Even with my very basic knowledge of meteorology the tendency for some to latch onto a fantastic looking chart way, way beyond the point of reliability and then to be despondent when it changes a day or two later is just baffling.

Much as I'd love to see some more snow this winter, and some heavy stuff at that, we'll get what we get and no amount of staring at charts will make what we wish for happen. It's only 7th Jan, the models are only really reliable 3-4 days ahead, we've plenty of winter left!

Ravelin

Watching the model watchers is as addictive as plain old model watching :)

I always think a topic is best suited for the cold weather.

But saying that its dark and dank this morning

Well that's us sorted, we've got a topic for the thread now :good:

Posted

Just back in from early feed for cattle and mean"t to say the farm cat model is going for cold weather because at 7.00am this morning all 4 were lined up at back door wanting into house. Currently glued to rayburn and fast asleep with no sign of bad behaviour. They want to stay inside On such a mild morning most of them would be asleep in hay shed.

Thousands of geese circling and landing in late cut stubbles next to us as there is still grain lying there. Massive flocks of pigeons still moving about and last night saw quite a lot of flighting woodcock at dusk. Both pigeons and woodcock numbers are increased by migrants from Scandinavia (colder there? )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Back at work today sad.png and the students are already get on my nerves, need a snow day asap laugh.png

It's a bit dark outside you would think it was 10 night time not 10 in the morning ph34r.png

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

I see the price of cheese is quite stable today:

post-2844-0-70525700-1357552169_thumb.pn

I could pick holes in that statement

post-18260-0-30168500-1357556860_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

8.3c/8.0c/SW/ calm with steady rain and quite dark. Just have to keep an eye on developments this week I think? Certainly interesting viewing at the moment because of all the uncertainty. Who knows where this may land yet. As has been said before, we would be very unlucky indeed not to catch something from the set up around us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Come on folks, that topic takes the biscuit.

Anyhoo, back to the whether; this is whether forum after all, whether you like it or not.

I wonder whether it’ll snaw next week or whether it won’t.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

ECM 00Z surface T for London. All generally heading in the right direction.

EDIT. 06Z

t850Midlothian.png

Good agreement on cauld with snawy favouring uppers by weekend.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon Peeps! Dreich again here, currently 10.2c with light rain. I should have been at college today but it was cancelled due to ........lack of college! We were supposed to be moving premises temporarily during the holidays, but BT didn't show up to connect the phones or PC's. Carpet fitter....no show! All our equipment is still in boxes at the old college, so have been sent home with lots of homework to do....which is why I'm on here just now! I'm off for the rest of the week, so I promise I'll get on with some work later....tomorrow maybe, or the next day,or....Friday? Prefer to do some chart watching and I'll go and chop some logs later. Apparently winter is just around the corner, so best keep the log store well filled.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Nah! not keen on a topic - too many nuts, or was the the MT thread lol!

Pouring with rain here, very dull, dank day.

Enthralling chart viewing though, totally hooked.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The model thread is like watching a soap.

Looking forward to the 12z, I am enjoying viewing the charts in situations like this, anything can happen. I would be happy with a couple of inches of snow and for it the stick around for a few days so I can take my son sledging for the first time. I know eastern areas will probably do best but I hope the Glasgow area can get at least a little bit of the white stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Ally you are right it is unbelievably dark and miserable here today! Cold, frosty and sun would be nice, though I would like it even more if there were a few inches of the white stuff! Que Sera, Sera!

Off to jump into the madhoose for a gander!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just to continue the theme, wet, grey and miserable here too. Just about anything is better than this and I'd take cold, bright and frosty even without the snow (although that is always preferred).

Ravelin

Posted

If we get a E/NE or direct East winds showers will get through the Forth Clyde valley to Glasgow!!

Usually E/NE is a cracking direction for us for snow i.e. November/December 2010

If we get a E/NE or direct East winds showers will get through the Forth Clyde valley to Glasgow!!

Or better still something between a stiff breeze and a gale from the east to get the old streamer going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

The model thread is mayhem at the moment. I am a strict amature but even I can see that there is no accuacy beyond 72 hours at the moment! Really hope the easterly is a robust one if it comes although i think the coldest temps are set for further south. Here in Lochgelly we did well with easterlies in 2009/2010. Very wet and grey here at the moment, even cold sunshine would be a good change. Lampost watching would be ecellent though:)

Edited by tempestwatch

The model thread is mayhem at the moment. I am a strict amature but even I can see that there is no accuacy beyond 72 hours at the moment! Really hope the easterly is a robust one if it comes although i think the coldest temps are set for further south. Here in Lochgelly we did well with easterlies in 2009/2010. Very wet and grey here at the moment, even cold sunshine would be a good change. Lampost watching would be ecellent though:)

It will only get worse in there before it gets better (if it gets better). Lamppost watching would be amazing, haven't done that properly for a while now. Once I move I won't be able to do it, snow or no snow :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

I'm gonna be at the Baltic Sea come Thursday for a few days, dare say I can kick-start the easterly flow in time to get a second bite of the cherry as it arrives heregood.gif

Posted

perhaps its time to start taking bets on which of the regular posters will square off next? seems like arguements starts every time a new run comes out.

12zs coming out soon. lets get ready to rummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbblllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

I'm gonna be at the Baltic Sea come Thursday for a few days, dare say I can kick-start the easterly flow in time to get a second bite of the cherry as it arrives heregood.gif

Just eat a skip full of Brussel Sprouts and face in the correct direction, bobs your uncle an easterly albeit with pinched noses lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Our latitude is probably a good thing in the longer term though, especially when atlantic fronts start knocking on the door from the south. Most likely we're looking at some kind of easterly still for the weekend onwards and most likely remaining cold but whether we can get retrogression to Greenland or a strengthening of the Scandinavian ridge or some kind of messy Atlantic return for a time is hard to say. Still a massive deep cold signal for the end of the month though whatever happens after this coming cold spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Nice...Holiday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Still a massive deep cold signal for the end of the month though whatever happens after this coming cold spell.

Oh I do hope so! I'm headed up to Kinbrace and Stoer around that time :)