Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion - Cold Hunting 08/01/13 00z Onwards

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

The GFS over the last several op runs have produced some spectacular charts, the latest in hi res and FI. Pretty amazing synoptics in the 12z GFS. You wont see many charts like this. I think this is the 3rd op run in 24 hours I have saved to my computer for future viewing ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Wow

gfsnh-0-360_zoz2.png

I know! If this is what a SSW does to the PV, I want one for Christmas every year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Look at the beautiful at 240?!?! Hmmm...FI is FI whatever it shows. blum.gif

Agreed. Not to get too philosophical but when FI shows the same thing repeatedly does it become less FI?

At +312 we have a bit of the PV dropping into Scandi...now that can't be bad!! (yes I know it's FI, but I can dream)

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

GFS 12Z...

Posted

I think the pole has shifted in FI!!

Insane run from this weekend to finish.

ECM has to jump on the cold train now, surely?

gfsnh-0-360.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

so is the UKMO considered a superior model? if so I'm guessing the fact that it is moving towards the GFS output can only be viewed as a good thing??

p.s what models do tesco use as went there last night and they have put snow shovels, buckets of salt and deicer etc in the entrance lol

Edited by TheBigFreeze

Posted

Wow

gfsnh-0-360_zoz2.png

This is what I would like to coin a Moses vortex run.

Just utterly speechless with this 12z run. I'm trying to stop myself getting carries away.

Until we see some cross-model consistency any getting excited is a dangerous game....but we all know we can't help ourselves.

The concern longer term for me is still how well the GFS is modelling the mid-atlantic low responsible for the WAA towards Greenland/Iceland, but with the UKMO looking pretty similar:

UN144-21.GIF?08-17

Its over to you in Reading mr ECM

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Would,nt be at all suprised, to see the continental polar votex to be shifted further westward, ún near coming runs....delivering the ever craved DEEP, cold......:-)

Posted

Surprising output thus far when you consider the clarity of the ECM this morning. Will it backdown ?

Bloomin' hope so Ian....i'm going to have a coronary otherwise

SK

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

and looking even further ahead smile.png

http://www.meteociel...&ech=384&mode=0

Block of cold approaching from east - if that LP gets into SW approaches it could make things interesting

http://www.meteociel...&ech=204&mode=1

Suitably cold 850's

http://www.meteociel...4&code=0&mode=5

Jet stream gone south

But it is a long time ahead - either wishful thinking on the part of La Méteo, or it may come to fruition - who knows at this stage apart from the Daily Express :)

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

Popped into a meeting an hour ago and have just emerged to find 7 pages of posts to read.

Did something happen?

Posted

Is sat still FI, this close will METO start thinking about warnings, or will ECM need to be showing this too?

No - they're holding off as uncertainty still too great. Watch this space.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

98df6e226ae4db26dfad2bd1aeffffb3.gif

Haven't seen a run like that in a while.. here's an animation of Saturday 00z until Wednesday 00z... bare in mind, the coldest stuff could well come afterwards.

Urge caution on taking this run though, probably very optimistic, but GFS modelling is in for a hell of a time in comparison to EC signals... fun fun at Exeter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think that some have underestimated the potential for this weekend - the scandi high may orientate itself in a favourable position for us - which could provide many with the first snows of the winter

I am only looking out to +120 and even then with caution - the weekends cold has been upgraded on 12z GFS due to a tighter E/NE gradient drawing the colder uppers in - could be further upgrades here - often see this in the shorter/medium term

What we can be reasonably certain of now is a pressure rise over scandinavia - as for post +120 dismiss - we all know what has happened before

That why we don't need to worry about the ECM operational for the medium term tonight