Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 11th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Saturday event became Sunday, Sunday became Monday, Monday became Monday night, Monday night has become Tuesday.. It happens every winter, no wonder people lose faith!

I think you're describing why you have lost faith?

Posted

Just to say with my earlier post - the 'second' potential snow event may not reach EA, (most models suggest that on weds it should still be cold enough for snow were it to fall) but it may stall over central england and slide SEwards before reaching us...just something to temper the excitement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Does seem to me that it seems now a case of roll on Monday night for the first proper snow event for the majority of the region, even my location in North West Kent looks too far north on the latest bbc forecasts, a light dusting at best for mid Kent South Kent Sussex Surrey etc it seems. Roll on Monday. . .

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Saturday event became Sunday, Sunday became Monday, Monday became Monday night, Monday night has become Tuesday.. It happens every winter, no wonder people lose faith!

I think you know that Saturday was orignally forecast to be rain that got upgraded to snow but further south and moved forward a day. Monday's event is seperate and was always going to arrive later in the day for the SE and as ever with snow forecasting there is still alot of water to flow under the bridge before then so it could change.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

A quick look at the ensembles shows something interesting

The 850hPa mean stays below -5 until the 17/18th and by then there's a lot of scatter so we could see that lower further still

post-7073-0-51496500-1357912966_thumb.pn

Whats more interesting to me though, is the amount of precipitation spikes during the period we have -5c air over us

post-7073-0-66583200-1357912965_thumb.pn

Definitely the potential for some quite significant snowfalls through the first part of next week!

Posted

About the threads issue, the EA thread was always called 'EA and 3 Counties' And the 3 counties is classified as Beds, Herts+Bucks, so really, posters from Herts would go in that thread etc...

The BBC forecasts were very good for us, but, as always, I'd suggest not taking them as gospel. We have seen how inaccurate at times they can be, especially over snow events, even in recent times (I seem to remember them being a bit off with the December 2010 snow for some parts of the region) Just don't get too worried over them, we wont really know too many details till much closer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think you know that Saturday was orignally forecast to be rain that got upgraded to snow but further south and moved forward a day. Monday's event is seperate and was always going to arrive later in the day for the SE.

Which is no bad thing either, chicni. It'll have all night in which to accumulate! Or not?

Posted

Ahhh now I see what is going on with regards to Mon/Tues.

The fax shows a triple point system.

So, If we get lucky and it stalls out somewhere close to our region and pivots. We "could" get a double bubble band of snow. Mon night into Tues.

fax84s.gif?10-0

Edited by Shrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Heathrow was going through a Practice Snow clearing event last night in Terminal 5 (British Airways), I can't post the picture of the operations room as it wasn't available in the public domain....

I suspect they are now on red alert. So maximum amount of disruption/closures/severe delays expected.

I've just taken a screen print of this hope you don't mind - but my know it all bruv who says its only going to be sleet and 5 degrees over the weekend absolutely refuses to believe anything else flies from heathrow early next week to Jeddah hee Hee

Posted

Interesting to find this on the Herts County Council gritting status page: 'Await Evening Update at 6pm. Outing likley. Poss light snow Sat morning.' Sounds rather optimistic to me for this part of the world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I m set to be in the SE Monday through to Wednesday, looks like I will have got lucky as the latest BBC forcasts have transfered the snow risk from the West Country / SW Mids to further east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Cant post charts,(on phone) but Monday nights snow event is a bit like last Februarys.

Cold block to the East and a front coming down from northwest.

Posted

enjoy the snow smile.png pass some down here would be nice smile.png

We'll try and share any we get with you guys!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,storms

Met Office Update

UK Outlook for Wednesday 16 Jan 2013 to Friday 25 Jan 2013:

It should remain cold across many parts of the UK, with a good deal of dry and frosty weather, especially for central areas, but there will be some wintry showers and persistent rain, sleet and snow to watch out for on occasion. The detail of where the snow is most likely to be is currently uncertain at this time. At the moment, scattered snow showers look most likely to affect eastern parts of the UK with a risk of some significant snowfall here, whilst occasional periods of persistent rain and milder conditions may fringe into western areas, but turning to snow as it runs into the cold air. An ongoing risk of icy stretches overnight, and freezing fog may also be an issue during the cold and clearer nights.

Updated: 1146 on Fri 11 Jan 2013

Edited by tonbridgemole

Posted

Looking at the Troposphere chart for Monday first thing, the flow is coming from the right place:

gfs_pvort2_eur72.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Cant post charts,(on phone) but Monday nights snow event is a bit like last Februarys.

Cold block to the East and a front coming down from northwest.

Thats exacly what ive been thinking, 1 snow event that gave me 5 inches and stayed for atleast 7 days due to the cold, would settle for that right now..