Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

What are your temp stats now Ally?

Temp up a bit to 1.3 dew point -1.1

Edit: The band is getting very close to Perth now think that's why the temp risen a bit.

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy cold winters & long warm summers. Some stormy weather too!

Ok. Good job gambling is just about the only vice I don't indulge in or I'd offer a bet that most of Inverness won't wake up to snow!blum.gif

Come on HC, positive thinking and all that blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Hey Kelly, where about in the Inverness area are you?

Edit: and between you and I I think HC is wrong in this respect good.gif

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Dewpoints widely around 0C across the central belt at the moment.

Radar looks like it's giving false returns - wunderground radar has nothing like the southern extent of precipitation as the NW radar does.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

-1 c here looks like snow band just hitting Stirling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I'm trying, but just now all I see is a cloudy sky - and anaprop on the radar.

NorthernRab, I really hope I'm wrong too, it's a case of reverse wishing in the hope that someone will take pitywacko.png

Wow it must be busy tonight, even the emoticons are slow!!

Dewpoints widely around 0C across the central belt at the moment.

Radar looks like it's giving false returns - wunderground radar has nothing like the southern extent of precipitation as the NW radar does.

Anaprop on NW radar here too.

I'm trying, but just now all I see is a cloudy sky - and anaprop on the radar.

NorthernRab, I really hope I'm wrong too, it's a case of reverse wishing in the hope that someone will take pitywacko.png

Wow it must be busy tonight, even the emoticons are slow!!

Think the edits got a bit confused therewacko.pngwacko.pngblink.png

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Looking at the rain today radar, looks to me as if there is precipitation approaching Loch Leven. Sky is cloudy here now, and I am sitting at 1.0c/-0.1c but wind veering S which might kill it! Wouldn't amount to much anyway though.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy cold winters & long warm summers. Some stormy weather too!

Hey Kelly, where about in the Inverness area are you?

Edit: and between you and I I think HC is wrong in this respect good.gif

I'm actually on the Black Isle, was trying to be 'safe' by not giving my exact location away... rolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

HC, it's snowing in Culbokie according to my sis, not too far away from us (from your pics looks as though you are in my neck of the woods)!

Posted

HC, it's snowing in Culbokie according to my sis, not too far away from us (from your pics looks as though you are in my neck of the woods)!

By my powers of deduction it should hit Inverness very soon and where yourself and HC are soonafter. Fingers crossed!

Posted

It's snowing Rest and Be Thankful,Glen Ogle,Drumochter and Rannoch Moor. I am sure it won't be long until we all see some snow tonight.

Posted

Just been out with dog and temp has dropped rapidly here in the shire Im les than half a mile from the north sea and there's small flakes blowing in on the wind!!!

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine

Radar seems to think I'm getting rain snow but nothing showing by porch or lamp light at the West end of the carse. Must have snuck by to Stirling.

Posted

It's snowing Rest and Be Thankful,Glen Ogle,Drumochter and Rannoch Moor. I am sure it won't be long until we all see some snow tonight.

But unfortunately raining in the likes of the Aviemore and Tulloch Bridge, so it's not looking particularly likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

25miles from Glasgow ..current temp 2.7c. Dp 1.4c Currently calm and dry. Not so sure we will see snow tonight.....but got everything crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

But unfortunately raining in the likes of the Aviemore and Tulloch Bridge, so it's not looking particularly likely.

Dewpoint reported from both is currently -1C as well, which is a bit odd, unless there's a warm layer aloft we're all missing.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

25miles from Glasgow ..current temp 2.7c. Dp 1.4c Currently calm and dry. Not so sure we will see snow tonight.....but got everything crossed!

helensburgh is right on the west coast though and there wasnt expected to be any snow there

Posted

Raining, as expected, IF, if you're still there.

Made some tasty olive tapenade this evening though so all is not lost, just the *now.

Posted

Dewpoint reported from both is currently -1C as well, which is a bit odd, unless there's a warm layer aloft we're all missing.

I think so, temp and dewpoint at -1'C in Inverness but light rain :(

Made some tasty olive tapenade this evening though so all is not lost, just the *now.

Very nice, I always go for loads of finely chopped garlic in a tapenade, delicious :)

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Earlier on tonight, the BBC website text (so it would be from the Met Office) said that for tonight in Central, Tayside and Fife, it would be mostly dry but later on in the night, snow would spread into western perthshire and stirlingshire. Now it has no mention of any snow and says it will just be dry.

Also, earlier on tonight, the BBC website text said that for tomorrow, it would be cloudy with outbreaks of rain and sleet all day with snow mainly for higher ground. Now it says it will be dry in the morning with snow spreading in from the west in the afternoon. This would seem an upgrade as it has went from rain or sleet to just snow for tomorrow.

Yet on the hourly symbols it has on the website, earlier on for tomorrow, it had snow for most of the morning before sleet at around midday, then dry with rain later on. But now it has snow only at ten o'clock, then dry until it rains from 3 o'clock, which is worse than it was on the earlier update.

I think this proves that nobody really has much of a clue what is going to happen tonight and tomorrow or Monday for that matter. I think it's probably better just to keep up to date with the reports on here from around the country.

Posted

Earlier on tonight, the BBC website text (so it would be from the Met Office) said that for tonight in Central, Tayside and Fife, it would be mostly dry but later on in the night, snow would spread into western perthshire and stirlingshire. Now it has no mention of any snow and says it will just be dry. Also, earlier on tonight, the BBC website text said that for tomorrow, it would be cloudy with outbreaks of rain and sleet all day with snow mainly for higher ground.

It probably also said that it would be 20'C through the central belt tonight on the BBC, their online forecasts especially shift all the time, it's best to just ignore them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine

Got light rain now, just missing out in altitude judging by the rate the rain is falling. See what some sleep brings.

Posted

I think so, temp and dewpoint at -1'C in Inverness but light rain sad.png

Very nice, I always go for loads of finely chopped garlic in a tapenade, delicious smile.png

Just so, can't beat garlic. Still fkn raining tho.

Would be good to be able to see who's online at this time, eh? The software goes awol when you need it as usual.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Well, to be quite honest, I think all the model guidance on this has been pretty atrocious. No model had widespread precipitation for this time, not a single one, and none had any indication of a warm layer aloft for anywhere in Scotland. Nowcasting is going to be the only way to proceed from here frankly because the models run a mere six hours ago are already quite a way out. Personally, l think we're likely to see this band turning steadily to snow as it moves eastwards and intensifies, but honestly who knows! I'm going to head to bed and see what greets me in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

BAc5OJMCEAAEFI9.jpg

this was posted on twitter there must be something wrong somewhere

according to this theres sleet/snow here but its bone dry outside

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Freezing rain in Inverness at the moment and looks like it is raining in Aviemore judging by the Mountain Spirit webcam, still temperature persists at +2.6c at Loch Morlich though the DP has taken a tumble.

That said I wonder if an inversion layer is mucking up the radar and is the precipitation really as widespread as indicated?