Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just completed a quick recce. to locate lamp posts. None suitable.

Security light a solid replacement and showing consistent sleet.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

can safely say something folks this is a far better thread to be a part of than that model thread much more civil and relaxing in here where as in there its all arguments and having to listen to most of them banging on and on about south of the M4 and never really finding out anything about up here just wish i had clicked on to come in here when i first joined instead of in the model thread.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I reckon snow central Scotland 12am! The band in the north west is moving steadily in already. I think only the extreme West will not see any snow.

can safely say something folks this is a far better thread to be a part of than that model thread much more civil and relaxing in here where as in there its all arguments and having to listen to most of them banging on and on about south of the M4 and never really finding out anything about up here just wish i had clicked on to come in here when i first joined instead of in the model thread.

Aye stay away from these southerners they are awfy narrow minded! LOL

Edited by November13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

The fax charts don't show a warm sector, just an occlusion. A warm occlusion. If the precip band is heavy then it should be a band of snow, especially above 100m. If its light precip, then sleet more likely. Behind the front I'd expect rain and wet underfoot.

00_UKMet_Boden+24.gif

00_UKMet_Boden+36.gif

00_UKMet_Boden+48.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

one question on something i am not sure of would it be better for snow if the front moved through over night after the temps have dropped or would that not really matter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

post-12276-0-50436300-1358014533_thumb.p

Snow on Sunday morning/afternoon in Edinburgh on the EC- problem is it's rain for the Monday morning band with temps around 2c. It should mean if you add an extra 100m to that, you are in for a lot of snow.

Posted

Is it good? Haven't been before.

Aye kids loved it, not a full day oot, but if wet and grey, which is most days recently it will get them oot the hoose.

My new toy says yes fir snaw...

post-2849-0-16575600-1358014623_thumb.jp

Posted

Hmm tractors out putting tonnes of grit on the streets... didnt they say they would call out farmers to help during extreme events after 2010?

Posted

is that broony saying. Where is the snaw in your avatar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer.

If it doesn't snow this week I'm going to the indoor ski centre with my sledge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

It the ECM 12 is right, I think snow is more likely then rain/sleet with slightly upgraded colder uppers;

ECM0-24.GIF?12-0

ECM0-48.GIF?12-0

Notice the -10 uppers on this chart, coupled with east winds...heavier snow showers anyone?

ECM0-72.GIF?12-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Forget lamppost watching, I'm watching my gritters.

http://my.stirling.g...k/gritters/live

Must be loads of snow about already - they stuck at 0mph.

Aahhh, I forget it's cooncil workers - they'll be on a "Tea Break" again whistling.gif

If it doesn't snow this week I'm going to the indoor ski centre with my sledge.

If it doesn't snow this week I'm going to the indoor ski centre with my sledge HAMMER biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Must be loads of snow about already - they stuck at 0mph.

Aahhh, I forget it's cooncil workers - they'll be on a "Tea Break" again whistling.gif

If it doesn't snow this week I'm going to the indoor ski centre with my sledge HAMMER biggrin.png

Be careful.... remember what happened with the Robin Hood Airport Tweet....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

T fair falling here now -0.2 C / Dp = -1.2 C. Stuff already icing up.

Snaw makin landfall aff of the NW coast. Traffic Scotland cams at the ready....

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

post-12276-0-50436300-1358014533_thumb.p

Snow on Sunday morning/afternoon in Edinburgh on the EC- problem is it's rain for the Monday morning band with temps around 2c. It should mean if you add an extra 100m to that, you are in for a lot of snow.

Edinburgh did look a bit borderline to me after the first band, the colder air at surface level did appear to be entrenched further east, north and upland though on the NAE. Does it give any indication of the exact location by any chance? The difference with altitude is pretty marked even just within the city.

Posted

Be careful.... remember what happened with the Robin Hood Airport Tweet....

Where's the NOT LIKE button? rofl.gif

Sorry, I don't do political correctness, just humour blum.gif

Where's the snaw?

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Good time to watch the video loop, shows up the current synoptics well, Iceland creation area of LP systems, later on in the run Jet exiting East Coast US, energy rotating clockwise round the Scandi Block..

Towards end frames (1800) you can see the real battleground just poised to kick off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Temp dropping now 2.2 & DP -1.0 :)

Edit: now 1.8/-1.1 :D

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just finding a quick few minutes to check the latest situation and report in. Glad to hear that things may still be better than the met office weather site may suggest. As usual we'll just have to wait and see but at some point this winter I want to see a good blizzard!

I spent most of the afternoon outside watching the boys play footie, followed by a quick run before it got too dark. Is it just me, or are there sometimes when you go outside and you just think "hmmm....feels like it's going to snow"? Well today that feeling wasn't there. It was cold and wet, with even the odd bits of sleet. It didn't feel THAT cold though, probably the lack of any wind helping with that.

On a happier note - Kemnay 2 Colony 1 (After Extra Time)

Snooz, pity about the game tomorrow but at least you're through to the next round. Looks like Bogbeth was on of the few playable parks in Aberdeenshire today, surprisingly, as most other games were postponed (due to the rain I'd guess).

Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Ice-day here today, didn't get above -1'C!

-3'C at the moment with a hoar frost over all the trees, washing lines, fences etc, love winter smile.png

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Don't post here too often but am a regular viewer of the forum, cracking place to be with so many laughs as well as expert opinions, a brilliant read, it never fails. Couldn't be a more interesting time to be on the forum either!!

LS - Love reading your view on matters, particularly like the sound of this upgrade for the next few days snow! I am in Prestonpans, East Lothian so pretty close to the forth. Do you reckon this upgrade is enough to get me some snowfall in the next few days? Must say I have been expecting rain/sleet but would love to see some snow!

Cheers

Thanks very much. Could well be, you're the last in line for the milder uppers so they may not even get that far, in which case you might manage to squeeze at least a few hours of snow out of it. It's bound to be marginal though being so close to the forth and any cover could be quite transient but I wouldn't rule anything out yet.

Very jealous of northeast England's forecast at the moment though, not even a hint of a warm sector and staying as snow throughout. Southeast borders could be the place to be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

1.2c/-0.3c/E A bit happier with temp & dew point now. All we need is precipitation if temp can drop a wee bit more!

Shows how model fatigued I am when I can't even decipher which flow I should be following? Which is it for goodness sake, NW or SE?rolleyes.gifhttp://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

When its that marginal you can get wide contrasts within the city boundaries. Wet sleet in Leith can still mean a decent few cms up Morningside/Braids/Colinton/Liberton/Gracemount etc. I think Viewforth/Brunstsfield is around the 300ft ASL mark and the snowline can often begin there !

Edinburgh did look a bit borderline to me after the first band, the colder air at surface level did appear to be entrenched further east, north and upland though on the NAE. Does it give any indication of the exact location by any chance? The difference with altitude is pretty marked even just within the city.

Posted
Transport Minister Keith Brown said: "After a mild spell the Met Office say we are now heading back into colder conditions. That means drivers will have to be on their guard more than ever, especially when driving in freezing conditions.

Good tactic by oor Transport Minister. Mention the Met O in sentence to keep himself right, unlike Stewart Stevenson, who, let's be honest, was pretty much hounded out of his job by reporter Raymond Buchanan @ BBC Scotland.