Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Good tactic by oor Transport Minister. Mention the Met O in sentence to keep himself right, unlike Stewart Stevenson, who, let's be honest, was pretty much hounded out of his job by reporter Raymond Buchanan @ BBC Scotland.

Yes, remember it well! Great day on here tho' once we realised the front had stalled!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Good tactic by oor Transport Minister. Mention the Met O in sentence to keep himself right, unlike Stewart Stevenson, who, let's be honest, was pretty much hounded out of his job by reporter Raymond Buchanan @ BBC Scotland.

SNP Accused of Making Snow Yellow

etc...

T = -0.9 C / DP = -1.9 C. Chilly oot.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

yeah and it was partly the bbc's fault as they never really forecast the snow well at all for that day.

felt really bad for that guy he did nothing wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

SNP Accused of Making Snow Yellow

etc...

T = -0.9 C / DP = -1.9 C. Chilly oot.

Hmm more like

SNP accuse Westminster gov't of wanting to keep all the white snow and only letting the Scots have yellow snow as it's good for the soul.

(and if you're wondering (or not) my politics are probably best described as anti-nationalist anarcho-insomniac)

Ice day here under constant freezing fog - max of -1C - now lifted but down to -2C. Where's that fckn ppn when you need it?

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Example of temperature variability across Edinburgh - currently 3C in Leith, 2C in the West End, 0C at the Airport and 0C in Duddingston.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Currently 0.8/-0.6C here.

Posted

Thanks very much. Could well be, you're the last in line for the milder uppers so they may not even get that far, in which case you might manage to squeeze at least a few hours of snow out of it. It's bound to be marginal though being so close to the forth and any cover could be quite transient but I wouldn't rule anything out yet.

Very jealous of northeast England's forecast at the moment though, not even a hint of a warm sector and staying as snow throughout. Southeast borders could be the place to be.

Yea the uppers do look favourable but I always wonder if being so close to the coast will cause it to fall as sleet. Would just be happy to see a few centimetres on the ground for a time. Reckon patience is the name of the game though, going by many of the comments on here the end of the month could be when the real fun starts. Just good to be talking about snow prospects again!

Yea things do look more straightforward in NE England, surely wouldn't need much of a change to put us in an equally favourable position? The possible easterly midweek looks interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Those waking up in Inverness should do so to some snow, at least a cm or two.

Those waking up in the central belt or eastern Scotland (maybe south-western as well) should have a morning filled full of snow- a few cms definitely possible- Falkirk, Stirling, Perth probably the hot spots- plenty of opportunity for Glasgow and Edinburgh though.

Should be a highly snowy morning and afternoon for much of Scotland thanks to a very slowly moving band- I'll be envious!

Posted

I usually lurk but I do remember posting one of my first posts on that day. In hindsight it was harsh that he resigned but his Newsnight Scotland interview was his own goal. "A first class response to difficult condition" was a quote from that interview that sticks out. Hundreds of people at that very moment were stuck on the mate including one of our artists The Phantom Band who were trying to get to Edinburgh Airport for a gig in Berlin. Thankfully while stuck on the mate the taxi driver agreed not to keep the meter running.good.gif

On a personal note that snowfall was the deepest snowfall since I moved to the southside of Glasgow. I think it was about 7 inches. Though I have to say the snowfall on the 30th of November was even better for different reasons. Day off work with the wife and went to our local pub. Got a call from my Dad saying that he had received a letter the Inland Revenue saying I had a cheque for £300. drinks.gif

I cycle to work and have been dodging squirrels on my way to work this week. Don't usually see any. Must be something afoot...Is there a squirrel model available?

Posted

Those waking up in the central belt or eastern Scotland (maybe south-western as well) should have a morning filled full of snow- a few cms definitely possible- Falkirk, Stirling, Perth probably the hot spots- plenty of opportunity for Glasgow and Edinburgh though.

Should be a highly snowy morning and afternoon for much of Scotland thanks to a very slowly moving band- I'll be envious!

It has the potential to be a special event - but it could go either way, the past two forecasts on News 24 were conflicting: only snow on high ground; significant snow away from west coast. In some highland settlements such as Dalwhinnhe, possibly Bridge of Orchy should be in for lots of fun. Some of the higher settlements of the central lowlands (above 100m) should easily have snow throughout the event but it's impossible to define whether accumilations are likely. Torrance is of a slightly higher elevation from central Glasgow, about a mile north of the Great Glasgow conurbation and easily two or three degrees lower than the city centre. I would imagine that there would at least be some snow - I'll have to wait to find out whether it will bring accumilations. I'd expect the Campsie Fells to do well so I might fancy a trip to the car park, 700ftasl. And with a bit of luck, everyone here will get pasted and we'll send it over to you later!

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Headed through to Edinburgh by train tomorrow morning for a few hours - hope East Kilbride doesn't get snowbound whilst I am away hehe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looks like you'll have caught up later on tomorrow though!

Posted

Latest BBC forecast said "rain and sleet at the coast", as if they were going to say 'but readily turning to snow inland.' Instead it was: "snow over the hills." Really will be down to nowcasting tomorrow; I have a feeling inland areas of Fife will do well tomorrow (watch out LS!). On another note, the Forth is doing a good job of moderating temperatures - a tropical 3.3c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

First batch of snaw may be not far off for some in the central zone. What's further north and west like at the mo?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

(should be called "Will it Snaw Today?")

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted

First batch of snaw may be not far off for some in the central zone. What's further north and west like at the mo?

Slight westward adjustment on the NAE from the earlier run though, which means it might be a bit later, but on the bright side probably less marginal later on in the run:

13011303_1218.gif

Posted

Ooh thanks BFT, will start lamping presently, eyes badly need a break from computer screen anyway. shok.gif

Posted

If your right and I wake (I will give it to 9am as normally on sofa fir 3am) I will gladly treat you to a few drams of 18yr single malt. Not sure what is oot side at present as attention has been on a rather full bodied Argentinian... whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Can't see anything to be seen on Cheggers webcams - though maybe rainy/sleet on the A830 at Morar?

EDIT - Snawing good style on the A9 at Drumochter.

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted

Similar story so far this run:

13011312_1218.gif

A very snowy afternoon for most tomorrow:

13011318_1218.gif

Edited by LomondSnowstorm