Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 13/01/13--->

Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

it's all to play for and the lamp post still looks the best option.

Thats about spot on. On the day, the NMM, GFS, UKMO won't matter- it's whats happening outside. One thing is for sure, it's going to be bloody cold!

Posted

3/4 of a cm lying on the fence now, which is a very good result considering the situation 6 hrs ago.

No grass visible, but much of the concrete is. Hopefully this is here when I wake up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

heavy now

Posted

Starting with icy stretches on untreated surfaces, followed by snow spreading east this morning, perhaps becoming locally heavy. This afternoon the snow will persist in many places. Accumulations up to10cm are generally expected, but possibly to 15cm over high ground. Maximum Temperature 2 °C.

Met O upgrade!

Currently 0.1c with that band/line coming in... oooooohhhh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The radar doesn't look that exciting to me, the band looks very narrow!

Posted

Think I'll just head to bed after I finish work judging by the radar - doesn't look like anything too exciting at all for us lazy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Alza why are you always a glass half empty person! Howay man some ok prospects today lets hear a little ramp from you :-)

I have some confidence as Meto are still bullish with an amber warning an hour before the "start" of the event.....suppose only time will tell.

Posted

Precip is expected to fall during the day (negative), but no real mild sector with 850temps staying below -5c all day, popping below -6 and -7c in the evening.

MetO also predicting Tuesday and Wednesday to be very encouraging convection-wise, with snow shrs, whilst they will be more isolated and light by Wednesday evening and Thursday. After that, it could be a big channel low, atlantic storms, calmer SElies or a battleground. All up for grabs.

I'd say if today delivers like MetO warnings signal, and so do Tuesday and Wednesday- I wouldn't mind a clear, cold Thursday with a good 5-6 inches on the ground... oops, getting too far ahead there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Good luck with it guys the front just cleared penrith at it was all rain despite temperature near freezing.

Andy

Posted

Got a bad feeling about today temp at 2.0 and dew point at 0.5 on the coast could be a wet one. hopefully this will drop in the heavy precipitation.

Posted

How do the conditions here compare with Cumbria? Since they had rain it would be nice to hear that it was more favourable here! If anything the front seems to be intensifying already rather than fizzle as it usually would when it hits the Pennines, so if it slows down we could get quite a bit.

The NAE has precipitation totals of 5-10mm by midnight, so I guess that would be 5-10cm of snow if it all fell as snow, and it all settled. Time will tell!

Those who have snow in Scotland are reporting impressive accumulations in a short space of time, but a lot seem to have rain at low levels.

Edited by Alza

Posted

I take it the talked about mild sector is upon us as I've just been outside and it isn't cold at all.

Eh?? The "mild sector" refers to the 850s - it won't be felt on the ground... where in Durham it's currently -0.1°C.

Posted

Alza, the Cumbrian rain was caused by the mild sector with -3c 850 packets dotted around. That mild sector progresses with the front meaning upper air temps should be 1c colder under the same mild sector, and all our precip will be under sub -5c 850s.

Its a case of watching the lamppost, I've been radar watching instead of exam revising, which is in an hour, damn!

Alza, the Cumbrian rain was caused by the mild sector with -3c 850 packets dotted around. That mild sector progresses with the front meaning upper air temps should be 1c colder under the same mild sector, and all our precip will be under sub -5c 850s.

Its a case of watching the lamppost, I've been radar watching instead of exam revising, which is in an hour, damn!

Posted

Eh?? The "mild sector" refers to the 850s - it won't be felt on the ground... where in Durham it's currently -0.1°C.

I'm only asking, no need to be a idiot about it?

Posted

I'm only asking, no need to be a idiot about it?

You didn't ask. You stated. And I was just expressing surprise and tell you what it referred to. If you'd asked I wouldn't have expressed my surprise in that way. Good morning to you too! fool.gif air_kiss.gif

Posted

I said "I take it" and forgot to put a question mark on the end of my sentence, I certainly didn't state anything!

Knowledge wise im in no position to "state" anything about the weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Morning IF tell me it's gonna pour with snow....

Posted

OK thanks, I still have everything crossed then as its obviously going to be a knife edge! Which exam have you got?