Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 13/01/13 --------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So what's going on with raintoday.co.uk all the precip has disappeared from the last frame, which it clearly hasn't from the posts on here.....

Posted

Being snowing since 5 in stoke getting heavier now and good cm covering . Hope for a cheshire gap streamer

Posted

Time to put heads on the block.........based on current radar, model output and good old gut feeling what do you think you will wake upto in the morning?

I think I will have 2cm and then I think tomorrow will be good 10cm by night fall

Posted

So what's going on with raintoday.co.uk all the precip has disappeared from the last frame, which it clearly hasn't from the posts on here.....

Frustrating, isn't it? Of all the times for it to decide to throw a wobbly.........

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

So been snowing for about 2 hours here - mostly snizzle but just starting to thicken very slightly.

Could be a long night......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Thanks weatherguy, just another reason why snow is so hard to get in the uk then! Sound like a case of cutting off your nose (get the cold in) to spite your face (means no/limited PPN!) For our part of the country anyway, but i live in hope!

No worries, and you're right!

The way to get in masses of snow is when we have an undercut of low pressure...ie. imagine a ridge of high pressure rising northwards from the west then round the north-east of the country. next a low pressure system sends its energy south, and literally goes UNDER the block, leaving us with high pressure isolated to the north and low pressure centred to our south. this brings us the atlantic moisture, and as LP travels anti-clockwise we still get our cold air from the continent! Rewards are massive, but of course it's such a high-risk thing to achieve; if the energy goes northwards over the block, the high will sink and we'd end up mild and wet.

eg. met.120.png

The other more typical way of snow from an easterly is via snow showers coming in off the north sea, fueled by the temperature gradient between the upper air temps and the sea surface temps. In most scenarios this would lead to only the favoured locations along the coast getting any meaningful event.

Hope this helps! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Snow has intensified here, about time!

Posted

Snowing heavier now in Tamworth. Starting to stick although it is a slow process :)

I'm about 10 miles north from you and nothing! Just show u how fickle snow can be

Posted

To be honest, the radars are difficult to read tonight. It keeps pepping up, dying down, backbuilding and all sorts. End result is this persistent light snow we're having. Now some more heavier stuff heading our way from the Irish Sea with the gaps inbetween still filling, but who really knows what will happen there! I know I sound like Uncle Albert sometimes with 'during the war', but when I lived in Columbus Ohio, the radar had great difficulty with the light snow that used to drift down to us from Lake Michigan. We used to get persistent light snow from that but the radar would never tell the whole story. This really reminds me of then.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Yel just been on mod thread wish i could post nae charts but on my phone massive upgrade for the midlands, and better dew point, and temp, and it keeps the snow on us even tomoz, so theres finally light at the end of the tunnel hopefully.

Posted

And still .......................nothing here in Long Eaton!!!! I was thinking i would get the bus to work tomorrow - but I'm wondering if I will be ok to drive afterall!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Some big flakes now in Belper, and judging from the posts in here there is plenty more to come to my west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

Raintoday working again

Posted

This is really annoying now, I wonder how it's gonna wriggle out of being snow tomorrow now, good upgrades for the region, but I'm still on the fence tongue.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Following 18Z game on for friday, need the front to come far enough east, then to undercut, Undercut too soon then no snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Do I go into work tomorrow or not (Central London)? One minute they're saying we could get disruptive snow, the next, hardly anything. I don't want to end up being stuck in London if it decides to pelt down with snow and I can't get back to Northampton.....HELP!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Is the next band still on to be rain still snowing here.