Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

right people expect the next hour to 90 mins to be exciting-

apart from the EXTREME west all PPN should be snow-

its then between 12-2 when the difficulty & fun begins- as the dewpoints rise we need to counteract them with the heavy PPN...

fingers crossed...

S

here, here...:-).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Thanks for that..

judging by these DPs we have the lowest in the country,lower than east anglia,linconshire etc , yet we are at risk of rain?fool.gif

Im hoping that band dosent make it here till late avo ,hopefully temps will be dropping by then..currently 1.4c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Its just turned from snow to sleet here in Headington, Just East of Oxford, i'm at 115m ASL.

how much settled??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

its then between 12-2 when the difficulty & fun begins- as the dewpoints rise we need to counteract them with the heavy PPN...

fingers crossed...

S

Any ideas on what to expect for us in nw Kent/ se London Steve?

Posted

Just looking on XC Weather at the wind directions and the show them as northerly for almost all of the UK and yet the radar is clearly bringing the front in a south easterly direction. Any ideas as to why this is? I'm guessing the radars and the wind directions on XC weather are at different heights??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

fingers crossed...

S

Only exciting though if you just like seeing it fall out the sky, if you like it accumulating then you will be very disappointed as it's having none of that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Temp and dew point now above freezing, dripping from the shed roof. I think we are in for some sleet and rain until later...

Posted

Just looking on XC Weather at the wind directions and the show them as northerly for almost all of the UK and yet the radar is clearly bringing the front in a south easterly direction. Any ideas as to why this is? I'm guessing the radars and the wind directions on XC weather are at different heights??

Upper winds are from the NW

SM

Posted

Its just turned from snow to sleet here in Headington, Just East of Oxford, i'm at 115m ASL.

Hmm, that's not very encouraging for us south of London, we are at same altitude as you Mark

My weather station is now reading +0.9c, up from +0.6c 3 hours ago. Dewpoint reading is -3.5c, up from -4.4c but clearly still easily ok for snow at the moment. I think snow to rain is the form horse with then perhaps snow again later today. But as Steve M says, if the snow is heavy then evaporative cooling might help keep the snow for longer. Certainly an interesting few hours ahead!

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

how much settled??

We have about between 1-2cm. Though with rain falling that will soon go it if continues to rain..

Posted

Snowing hard here now in Dunsfold in Surrey big flakes

should be here any minute then....

and here it is.....

Edited by bobbydog

Posted

Any ideas on what to expect for us in nw Kent/ se London Steve?

http://www.netweathe...l-it-snow;sess=

http://www.netweathe...ion=radar;sess=

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hmm, that's not very encouraging for us south of London, we are at same altitude as you Mark

My weather station is now reading +0.9c, up from +0.6c 3 hours ago. Dewpoint reading is -3.5c, up from -4.4c but clearly still easily ok for snow at the moment. I think snow to rain is the form horse with then perhaps snow again later today. But as Steve M says, if the snow is heavy then evaporative cooling might help keep the snow for longer. Certainly an interesting few hours ahead!

AS

Don't really want to be the bearer of bad news, but it is now raining.. Though you are further east, so hopefully colder uppers for you and also the dewpoints are more favourable. Best of luck to everyone else, it may be over for me, but still ON for Eastern areas :)good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Bearing in mind you have some altitude, I think that is as a good an indicator as any that realistically this was always going to give many places in the region at least a spell of rain today. The period of possible interest I think is what happens from this evening and overnight as colder drier air starts to arrive back once more.

Posted

radar shows sleet..It;s snowing outside :/

Same here surrey an i am just down road from u in bracknell..

would say give it half hr/hr and see whats happing then such a fine line!

Edited by sandhurst-smoker