Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 12Z 15/1/13 onwards.

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Re the 72h fax. It is not poor. Also bear in mind this is furthest Eastward extent of the 528 Dam line and it would be returning West from this point. As has been stated over and over the 850's are not the be all and end all for snow in these situations, there are many more factors.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Forget about this weeks snow just give me this!

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn3001.png

These types of charts have been building so im not surprised by this outlook from the 18Z.

Still unconvinced about the output for the rest of this week. Many are seeking snowfall which is understandable but I continue to have doubts how much progression any fronts will have. So if you live in the N&E don't get your hopes us just yet.

The end of the week will do me just fine.smile.png

edit.

bomb.gif updated 96 hr fax chart...

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

The fax chart is not poor, while we have a south/south east flow then it will remain cold for snow, just look at the dewpoints on the GFS run (for 12pm and then 10pm). The dam line is not important

66-101.GIF?15-1875-101.GIF?15-1875-289.GIF?15-18

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The latest CFS mean temperature prediction for the next 10 days makes for interesting viewing with significantly below average values being progged, the cold is here to stay smile.png

post-9615-0-68520900-1358290950_thumb.pn

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, January 16, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Methuselah, January 16, 2013 - No reason given

Re the 72h fax. It is not poor. Also bear in mind this is furthest Eastward extent of the 528 Dam line and it would be returning West from this point. As has been stated over and over the 850's are not the be all and end all for snow in these situations, there are many more factors.

Fair enough, I am looking at a IMBY POV, with Urban Heat Trapping to contend with etc etc, fearful of marginality.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Current Friday 12:00 Fax:

PPVK89.gif?31415

Previous Friday 12:00 Fax:

PPVM89.gif?31415

That is a good measure of how things have changed over the last 24 hrs and to balance how things may also look tomorrowsmile.png Hopefully the pendulum swings the other way. Its actually the t96 fax chart that illustrates better what I mean

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

The latest CFS mean temperature prediction for the next 10 days makes for interesting viewing with significantly below average values being progged, the cold is here to stay smile.png

A classic cold British winter set-up there. Warmer than average over Greenland and south east Europe with that very cold concrete block in the middle. 1962/1963 anomaly;

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/climon/data/tgrid/1963/13.gif

Posted

I think the cold push back is quite strong, it really wants to break that front.

T96 rather different from T120 last night though, was that the one they modified to ECM/GFS?

fax72s.gif?15-12

fax96s.gif?15-12

Posted

as a relative newby on here im struggling with the inconsistencies on here

i read a page of posts and they say loads of snow then i scroll down and someone says no snow

i live in west midlands in a town called wednesbury

could someone please tell me what my chances are for snow and when we should start seeing this and how much approx

ive been in regional thread but its all way too inconsistent to understand

thanks in anticipation

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Just seen the 96hr FAX. Just unreal with an occlusion lying across the country (PPN presumably enhanced all along it) which has travelled north to get so far. Presumably as the low off Wales continues to travel SE it will pull this occlusion back ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Something I would like to add and that is there are warmer temps to the N/NW which is a signal for blocking in those areas, which I guess is why the CFS has the UK and Europe in the freezer. Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

I know we all want to see snow but I do feel those worrying about whether it will be rain or snow is pointless. Just look at the difference between the updated +96 fax compared to yesterdays +120.

At the rate this is changing parts of Scotland could even see E,lys as LP continues to be pushed S and the HP becomes more influencial.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Fair enough, I am looking at a IMBY POV, with Urban Heat Trapping to contend with etc etc, fearful of marginality.

Me too, hard enough to get daytime maxima below freezing here let alone more than 1cm of snow! Updated fax chart looks poor to me.

Posted

Me too, hard enough to get daytime maxima below freezing here let alone more than 1cm of snow! Updated fax chart looks poor to me.

You are obviously not looking at the same chart as me. Daytime maxima below zero are unusual in this country, so yes it is hard to get them.

Posted

as a relative newby on here im struggling with the inconsistencies on here

i read a page of posts and they say loads of snow then i scroll down and someone says no snow

i live in west midlands in a town called wednesbury

could someone please tell me what my chances are for snow and when we should start seeing this and how much approx

ive been in regional thread but its all way too inconsistent to understand

thanks in anticipation

Posted

I know we all want to see snow but I do feel those worrying about whether it will be rain or snow is pointless. Just look at the difference between the updated +96 fax compared to yesterdays +120.

At the rate this is changing parts of Scotland could even see E,lys as LP continues to be pushed S and the HP becomes more influencial.

I noticed the Scandi high is becoming more influential in the outputs as the days have gone by once again, its one of those height rises which on the eye may look weak but its actually quite strong and its certainly dictating the weather patterns at the moment and its helping most of the country to stay in the cold air!

There is certainly going to be some snowfall in the forecasts for the end of the week but where is just too hard to tell at the moment.

Posted

Hands up who would have drawn the occlusion like that on the day 4 fax?

120 fax

More changes to come in the next few days.laugh.png

Looks like the met have stuck with their own model for the faxes which seems as

good a plan as any!

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

In short at present the west mids looks to be in line for significant snow on friday, all subject to change at this stage though.

Posted

I think alot of people aren't realising that if this all pans out to the severity that is shown then its going to something truly epic and possibly comparable to some of the worst winters of the last century for the UK. Maybe Joe laminate floori and Piers Corbyn have it spot on. Alot of people mock Joe but he was pretty accurate for the UK in Winter 2009/2010 and some extent 2010/2011.

To be fair to Joe Laminate Flooring, even a stopped clock is right twice a day! I'm not worried by disruption potential. People seem to think that because everyone uses a bit of snow as an excuse to take a day off work they would do the same if it lasted for two weeks. Not true, but let's hope the models are on to something as it would be interesting to find out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Anyone following Ian F on Twitter will now know that the UKMET now favour a more progressive solution by the end of the week, perhaps he'll pop in here if he's got time.

Still lots to firm up on in the next few days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Pub run pretty much does actually on Saturday:

gfs-0-96.png?18

gfs-1-96.png?18

compared to even the 00Z GFS today:

gfs-0-114.png

Posted

Anyone following Ian F on Twitter will now know that the UKMET now favour a more progressive solution by the end of the week, perhaps he'll pop in here if he's got time.

don't think he said they favour it but listed it as an option. looks less likely from models tonight.

Posted

Progressive if you live in the south west perhaps. Beyond that, ie further north and east, should stay on the 'right' side of the boundary between cold and less cold air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Yes points out that there model is saying snow moving east and turning back to rain in West Country, so a brief rest bite in southwest , South Wales ? Who knows, but I'm pretty confindent it will only be the far west in any milder air.