Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 12Z 15/1/13 onwards.

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

At 90 hrs very little change between the 06z and 12z which some may find odd lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, January 16, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Methuselah, January 16, 2013 - No reason given

Why would you want to discuss with your children, charts that have been misleading in 2013? And your children's children!!!

i didn't say that what I would tell them would in praise of the models!! I'd be telling them what I'd seen and not necessarily experienced! And January 2013 will stand out not just for the model eye candy, but for the huge range of solutions run not just between different models but by different consecutive runs of the same model. it's been fascinating watching.

Anyway....in reality i hope more to be relaying what the actual weather was like to my children's children! But by the time they come along it might be stuff they see on a regular basis anyway :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Looks to be a much colder run so far for the WHOLE country http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn902.png!! The 850 line skirts the uk perfectly including NI as well

Hows this for a southerly tracking jet http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn10215.png!! could get very wet in morrocco

Edited by Continental Climate

Posted

At 90 hrs very little change between the 06z and 12z which some may find odd lol.

Disagree, the 12z is slower at bringing in the precipitation and tilted better to draw in the colder dew points. You can see this clearly on the NI charts where the 6Z had rain where as the 12z now has the snow backing west into eastern Ulster.

Posted

That will do me from the UKMO.

U72-594.GIF?16-16

Far better +96 chart from the UKMO compared to the GFS.

UW96-21.GIF?16-17

Look at the angle of the LP!

Posted

That will do me from the UKMO.

http://www.meteociel...2-594.GIF?16-16

Far better +96 chart from the UKMO compared to the GFS.

http://www.meteociel...96-21.GIF?16-17

Look at the angle of the LP!

There both still excellent, the GFS just less good but still cold.

It's great when we can argue about different sizes of cold rather than mild/cold.

Posted

Disagree, the 12z is slower at bringing in the precipitation and tilted better to draw in the colder dew points. You can see this clearly on the NI charts where the 6Z had rain where as the 12z now has the snow backing west into eastern Ulster.

sigh!!i wasnt really commenting on precipitation more of a larger scale feature

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

According to the GFS we may see another snow event around 108hrs with low surface temps and low dew points, and with that shortwave producing prcipitation, it will likely to be snow except for the far SW.

post-17320-0-31580700-1358352521_thumb.p

post-17320-0-35684200-1358352523_thumb.p

Posted

gfs 00z and 12z have both disrupted the first trough and are slower with the second one. gfs 06z was different. which one do you think is right ?

as dave says, prefer the ukmo with its easterly and higher precip

Posted

could our high be sinking back into europe http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1441.png? Anyway fi so not too much to worry about atm

Not according to the UKMO at 120 it aint http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2013011612/UN120-21.GIF?16-17

Posted

Yet another exceptional UKMO run with more snowfall potential.

UW144-21.GIF?16-17

Have to ask how realistic is the GFS at +96 with that mega LP at 930mb? The UKMO isn't anywhere near as deep.

gfs-0-96.png?12

UW96-21.GIF?16-17

Posted

http://www.meteociel...44-21.GIF?16-17!! Excellent from the rock solid UKMO heights building just where we want them, what a difference to the gfs of the same time frame!!

Although that is two gfs outputs that have pushed our block away by 144-150 so cant be totally discounted, anyway lots to look forward between now and then

LOL dont look at gfs 168 its a horror show

Posted

Very progressive 12z for sure and out of kilter with the ukmo.ecm may be the leveler here and somewhere inbetween

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

UKMO sticking with the cold all the way to 144hrs giving us a channel low with heavy snow for the south, combined with the easterly dragging in cold uppers from Europe it will feel bitter!

post-17320-0-51713800-1358353542_thumb.g

Posted

I don’t expect the GFS to continually throw out blinding runs, and as for trends I’ve lost count of the number of trends, half trends and left turns the GFS has pitched this last week and a half, I don’t expect that to change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

UKMO sticking with the cold all the way to 144hrs giving us a channel low with heavy snow for the south, combined with the easterly dragging in cold uppers from Europe it will feel bitter!

Is that Heavy snow for the South comment about this Friday or later in the runn?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heatwave, Thunderstorms

Probably both days for northern parts of cse

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Is that Heavy snow for the South comment about this Friday or later in the runn?

Monday 22nd of Jan, so early next week after friday / sat snow event..

Posted

its at 144 hrs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

GFS is nothing if not consistent.

Consistently saying for the last week that the block will last for another 120-144 hours and then collapse. It will eventually be right I am sure, but the question is when?

Posted

GFS being overprogressive....how refreshing

gfsnh-0-144.png?12

UKMO, meanwhile, holds firm again

UN144-21.GIF?16-17

I must say after the December debacle I was ready to bin the UKMO, but its redeemed itself big time of late. Its beginning to make me wonder if the only reason the GFS was the first to pick up on the December failure was simply because it was being its usual self and overdeveloping LP wherever it saw fit, and that this accidentally became the reality.

Anyway, still general agreement on a further unsuccessful atlantic attack towards Sunday/Monday, and thats as far as I'm willing to look realistically for now.

GFS really is covering itself in shame at the moment with continuous chopping and changing.

Current verification:

cor_day6_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png

cor_day6_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png

UKMO leads the way overall, the clear winner at 0z, neck and neck with the ECMWF at 12z.

SK

Edited by snowking