Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 12Z 15/1/13 onwards.

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, January 16, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Methuselah, January 16, 2013 - No reason given

Metoffice have warnings out for sat and Sunday for pretty much the whole country

now

thats for ice on my app they havnt updated since 14.00
Posted

looking at the sequence of FAXES over the past 24 hours, my eye is taken by the shortwave dropping into ne scandi around T72. given the recent trend to drop the shortwaves further south into france and pull in an easterly plus the slow retrogression of the 'block' to our north i am wondering if we do see a break in the atlantic trough, could a better retrogression of the blocking bring that shortwave into play from the ne ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

One or two posts straying off model discussion.

If you want to talk generally about the cold and snow please go here

http://forum.netweat...moaning-thread/

Let`s not clutter this thread up with general chat.

Thanks all.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

very nice ECM 96 http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013011612/ECH1-96.GIF?16-0!! A nice straight easterly there keeping uk locked in the freezer and pumping snow into the east!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

What do the experienced members make of the latest faxes?

t48:

fax60s.gif?16-12

t60

fax60s.gif?16-12

t72:

fax72s.gif

Posted

These are warnings for ice, not snow, and came out earlier today (unless my met office page is behind). I don't expect they will put out a warning for snow on Sat/Sun this far ahead, probably tomorrow when they have a higher level of certainty.

In all fairness to the OP, they do mention the risk of a further 5cm of snow as the fronts slowly fizzle out across Central and Eastern areas

Obviously a response to what we have seen on the +60 to +72 FAX

SK

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, January 16, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Methuselah, January 16, 2013 - No reason given

Your right guys. My apologies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

very nice ECM 96 http://www.meteociel...CH1-96.GIF?16-0!! A nice straight easterly there keeping uk locked in the freezer and pumping snow into the east!!

At +96 this is even better than the UKMO in my opinion.

http://www.meteociel...CM1-96.GIF?16-0

And if at 120 that low to the west heads SE and sits in the channel it would bring prolonged snow to some in the south and relentless snow showers off the North Sea a long way inland across the north and the Midlands :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Anyone notice the ECM at 120hrs! Very nice with the low probably taking the channel as a path, which should mean an easterly bringing in those cold uppers from Europe with the dp fairly low too, snow is a real possibility!

post-17320-0-06868600-1358360964_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Anyone notice the ECM at 120hrs! Very nice with the low probably taking the channel as a path, which should mean an easterly bringing in those cold uppers from Europe with the dp fairly low too, snow is a real possibility!

I think eastern Scotland and northeast England might start to catch up with the rest of you pretty quickly with charts like that...

And this:

ECM1-144.GIF?16-0

Watch out to the northeast:

ECH1-144.GIF?16-0

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

t48:

fax60s.gif?16-12

t60

fax60s.gif?16-12

t72:

fax72s.gif

Front stalling across Cardiff (my area on the first chart), with the 528dam line just in front and a SE flow bringing v.cold dew points means anywhere 30miles west and east of the front will have snow, then at 72hrs it backs west as the cold reasserts itself (as it does so areas behind and infront of the front (30-40miles) would have snow), I would say Midland/Wales and parts of the SW are very likely to see accumulations of snow.

Also there is another weaker occluded front approaching Norfolk which would produce snow showers around the area, and this is forecast to clear south east on Saturday.

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Good lord!!! http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013011612/ECH1-144.GIF!! Colossal upgrade on the ECM!! People if this run verifies then you will no longer have to dream what it would be like to experience a 47, you would actually be living it!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Thanks Phil, the GFS loves to smash the jet through with associated height rises over Southern Europe and it's OP stands alone tonight as we wait for the ECM.

It's been a generally poor episode for the GFS.

Nice to see you being positive about coldsmile.png

It looks like the very cold spell will continue, the jet will be further south than the gfs op runs have shown today, the ukmo or similar is the way ahead with lots more snow after the blizzards on friday.

Posted

ecm at 144 is a classic set up and screams heavy snowgood.gif

If verified as shown will the far south be rain with only -2 uppers or would the lying snow from Saturday and associated cold dp and surface cold mean snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Some amazing charts for North east England and NE Scotland from ECM tonight, December 2010 eat your heart out!

ECM1-120.GIF?16-0

ECM1-144.GIF?16-0

ECM1-168.GIF?16-0

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

t48:

fax60s.gif?16-12

t60

fax60s.gif?16-12

t72:

fax72s.gif

Panay that tells me is you have the main low to our southwest , then the small feature is an area of snow that gets ejected from the main low, therefore taking snow to the more northeastern areas, while the low to the south keeps a consistent snow zone , (to be 24hrs of continuous snowfall I believe.)

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Army will be on standby and a national state of emergency called if the ECM 144 comes off, incredible chart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes ECM is seriously wintery-snow- bitter cold with winds going into the east later just renewing the cold uppers across much of the UK.

ECM1-120.GIF?16-0

ECM0-120.GIF?16-0

a similar evolution to the UK and GEM with the lows going under and a pattern that is gradually moving towards a classic longer cold spell.A world away from the 12z GFS Op. next week.