Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 15/01/13 18z------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

well kids in garden playing in the snow lol, never mind tomorrow im happy enough now lol :) snowing nicely, seems to be getting heavier as time goes on....wonder how much heavier it is going to get :)

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Anybody any ideas if the snow further south is moving northwards from Sheffield or eastwards?

Its Expanding West wards mostly but its expanding everywhere, as the main front from the West is approaching its causing the band that is over Sheffield to increase in intensity, just watch the radar for the past few hours for the North of the UK, and you will get the jist of it, and why the Met has just put South and West Yorkshire on Heavy Snow for tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Quite heavy snow here now, its pretty much horizontal in the wind and starting to settle on the main Sheffield Road running through the village. -1.6C.

If it snows like this tomorrow then we'll be snowed in, Happy Days.

at least the traffics moving still good.gif my OH has got to go back out to Hoyland to look after her old dears tonight!!

Posted

Wish that snow over Nottingham Leicester Etc would move east a bit blum.gif

i will be very surprised if we get anything tonight, and if anything tomorrow it will only be light and not worth getting excited about, downgrades on the forecast will not be long incomming i feel

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Anybody any ideas if the snow further south is moving northwards from Sheffield or eastwards?

Not moving anywhere just slowly developing and increasing in size and intensity.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Don't worry about forecasts for tomorrow and the weekend, the METO et al are struggling with the current set up, just use the forecasts to see if the snow is in your neighbourhood

then watch the radar and look out of the window to see how it plays out. We had nice snowfall yesterday which wasn't forecast and now its snowing heavilly which wasn't either.

With the wind picking up and current conditions anything could happen so just enjoy what comes. For me this week has been amazing, proper winter weather and i'm looking forward

to whatever the rest of the week brings, hopefully i'll be sledging with the twins on sheep hill tomorrow, the best things in life really are free.

Posted

Its Expanding West wards mostly but its expanding everywhere, as the main front from the West is approaching its causing the band that is over Sheffield to increase in intensity, just watch the radar for the past few hours for the North of the UK, and you will get the jist of it, and why the Met has just put South and West Yorkshire on Heavy Snow for tonight.

Don't see on metoffice website heavy snow for south yorkshire?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

Has the amber warning been extended eastwards slightly from earlier? Don't remember it being that close to Sheffield.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Don't see on metoffice website heavy snow for south yorkshire?

For Sheffield, yes, for Barnsley, no. They're automated anyway so don't tale too much notice of them.

Posted

The latest NMM doesn't even show this feature! Shows how looking at the radar is the best thing to do.

Needless to say, the latest NMM chart shows the front being much more progressive! Still, this snowfall is an unexpected surprise, so happy days!

Edited by Aaron

Posted

A lovely covering of snow in barnsley and has been like this for last couple of hours getting heavier each time hopefully this will continue and bring extra surprise tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

at least the traffics moving still good.gif my OH has got to go back out to Hoyland to look after her old dears tonight!!

Yep, they're still driving like lunatics as always on Sheff Road. The roads covered from the curb out to a cars width and its gradually moving further into the road.

If it carries on like it is the OH will get to Hoyland but getting back could become tricky for her.

Where in Peni are you at 201m asl? My GPS computer for the bike has me at 238m on Sheff Road opposite the park in Spring Vale.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Guys the question is, is this feature going to stay in situ or move towards us! The nae suggests northward movement!. The midlands are getting spoilt! This and tomorrow's, I think we deserve the bonus!!

Posted

In the NMM defence it does show a feature

post-8968-0-78522100-1358445288_thumb.pn

Posted

The area of PPN is not moving, it is stationary and is expanding. Met suggest snow until midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Spent the night in upper Wharfedale and it was feverishly cold with lots pf snow on the gorund, although not as much as here. No fresh snow today up there before I left at 13:30 although there was slight snowfall (I call it flaking) from Otley to Pocklington but dry and cold here - around zero deg C but I have not checked.

Interesting the way it is snowing (and intensifying) ahead of the main band. All is well methinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

I just ran the animation on my NW extra radar and it is moving north gradually.

Posted

Spent the night in upper Wharfedale and it was feverishly cold with lots pf snow on the gorund, although not as much as here. No fresh snow today up there before I left at 13:30 although there was slight snowfall (I call it flaking) from Otley to Pocklington but dry and cold here - around zero deg C but I have not checked.

Interesting the way it is snowing (and intensifying) ahead of the main band. All is well methinks.

Yeh, if carries on the way it is, they might bother end up expanding together, I hope never know.

Posted

The snow lasts till 5am....8am...1PM...ALL DAY!

post-8968-0-68127800-1358445689_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The models don't control the weather, if the weather god wants it to snow, it WILL snow. :D