Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 15/01/13 18z------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine! High humidity - clear blue skies. Heavy snow.

If it collides then Yorkshire will be in legendary snow territory - 18th January 2013 could become a famous snow date!

is it true we could get snow like in 1947?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

this was on my facebook, dont know if anyone is interested or if it has already been posted :)

Winter weather updates 2012/13 UK and Ire

*UPADATE*

So its now certain britain will be battered by snow this weekend from Friday night onwards. This is system one of the weekend. Very heavy snowfall for all of England bar the far SW and south eastern corner but snow is still likely there. For Ireland that snow/rain boundry and for friday and Saturday the rain wins out with some snow on higher ground though it will be fairly dry and cold. From saturday night onwards (system two) things get both interesting and hard to figure. But as mentioned a major storm system is pulling in off the SW coast of Ireland and heading For Ireland and Uk. Both met offices, ireland and UK are not mentioning anything about sunday on as you may notice. This is probably because they know it could be very severe and they want to be 100 % certain before issuing this. Its one to watch and one that could potentialy be dangerous.

for the forseable future it looks to be very cold so please take care of your elderly neighbours and try to feed the wildlife.

Posted

Just thinking that HC, NOW I WONDER if this could grow n collide with the stuff to west??????

Well according to the models this precipitation that's south east of us was suppost to be well west of us and move north into northwestern most parts of england overnight. I think it should start moving north soon and give us a good spell of light snow this evening.

I doubt there will be any merging with the main band tommorow though, just looks like a seperate small feature ahead of the main band.

Anyways all eyes on gfs now, 0-36 hours should be very interesting.

this was on my facebook, dont know if anyone is interested or if it has already been posted smile.png

Winter weather updates 2012/13 UK and Ire

*UPADATE*

So its now certain britain will be battered by snow this weekend from Friday night onwards. This is system one of the weekend. Very heavy snowfall for all of England bar the far SW and south eastern corner but snow is still likely there. For Ireland that snow/rain boundry and for friday and Saturday the rain wins out with some snow on higher ground though it will be fairly dry and cold. From saturday night onwards (system two) things get both interesting and hard to figure. But as mentioned a major storm system is pulling in off the SW coast of Ireland and heading For Ireland and Uk. Both met offices, ireland and UK are not mentioning anything about sunday on as you may notice. This is probably because they know it could be very severe and they want to be 100 % certain before issuing this. Its one to watch and one that could potentialy be dangerous.

for the forseable future it looks to be very cold so please take care of your elderly neighbours and try to feed the wildlife.

I wouldn't take any notice of updates like that, sounds quite daily express esque ; )

Posted

Cheers, thats what is exciting about these cold entrenched set ups.Things can and will show up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

Well according to the models this precipitation that's south east of us was suppost to be well west of us and move north into northwestern most parts of england overnight. I think it should start moving north soon and give us a good spell of light snow this evening.

I doubt there will be any merging with the main band tommorow though, just looks like a seperate small feature ahead of the main band.

Anyways all eyes on gfs now, 0-36 hours should be very interesting.

I wouldn't take any notice of updates like that, sounds quite daily express esque ; )

i was thinking the same myself, but just thought i would post it here, see others thoughts on it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine! High humidity - clear blue skies. Heavy snow.

*UPADATE*

Posted

Yes a fair few people have a lot to learn, as cowdeg has just says it really does come down to nowcasting. Even if your in the sweet spot from looking at the models, when the precipitation comes you could very well be in one of those dreaded light spots/gaps in the precipitation.

Very true. It only takes a slight change in some setups to be the difference between rain or snow as you know. Everything has to be just right. I don't think for one minute that tomorrows setup will produce rain for our location at all but I think nowcasting will show the difference in intensity.

Posted

Hmm, snow coming down quite nicely now and a dusting on the paths and roads. Wasn't expecting this, and seems to be getting heavier with quite a bit to come according to the radar fool.gif

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

If it collides then Yorkshire will be in legendary snow territory - 18th January 2013 could become a famous snow date!

is it true we could get snow like in 1947?

Not a chance!

Posted

Guys this snow to the south east of us now is quite heavy and it's starting to move north and ark west towards us, think some of us could at least get a good dusting out of this.

Certainly a brucey bonus as I wasn't expecting anything tonight!

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

GFS 12z keeps the heavy snow over Yorkshire AND Lincolnshire - phew!

Guys this snow to the south east of us now is quite heavy and it's starting to move north and ark west towards us, think some of us could at least get a good dusting out of this.

It's getting heavier here for sure!

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Do we expect the met office to upgrade us back to amber ?

NMM needs to be on board I think, they seem to have based their warnings on that model alone, which is odd as they usually take NAE into account too. We'll wait and see - let's not forget our amber warning for W/S Yorks which was swiftly moved eastwards because the PPN band wasn't going to plan..

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

GFS 12z keeps the heavy snow over Yorkshire AND Lincolnshire - phew!

It's getting heavier here for sure!

Is that north lincs as well. Is this from the latest runs????

Edited by Lincstim

Posted

Is that north lincs as well.

Absolutely.

Posted

If we keep getting upgrades like we are now, I would certainly expect so.

I'm quite liking the gfs 12z, although not perfect it's again heading in the right direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Guys a few going over the top here. It's a tiny bit of a very light snow patch. Nothing to note. And the main forecasts still expect way to south of here. Hope some of the more exciting posts on here come true though!!

Posted

Worth a mention that lack of amber warnings just means that they don't expect the snow to cause major disruption (10cm+ widely) for those areas - it does not mean you won't see accumulating snow. Too many people are getting hung up on these colour coded warnings. :)