Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 15/01/13 18z------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Bbc still say significant snow for us but don't show it anymore on there maps. It seems to me that they admit defeat but are only slowly backing away from there snowiest originally forecasted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

TEITS posted this on the model outlook forum, looks a bit better from an IMBY perspective

13011818_1706.gif

Posted

TEITS posted this on the model outlook forum, looks a bit better from an IMBY perspective

13011818_1706.gif

This ties in nicely with the GFS 06Z, showing the low to be slightly more progressive allowing Yorkshire to get in on the action. This is actually quite a big upgrade compared to the 0Zs which showed the front stalling and petering out South and West of Yorkshire!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Snow no longer shown for the Yorkshire region like it was yesterday on BBC weather forecast. :(

I know. And yet the snow still gets Far East further south. But the west yorks snow shield in full swing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Charts still look decent for here, so I'm not sure why the BBC forecasts are changing so much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Anybody panicking from the bbc forecast, take a look at the models. By this aft I'm sure the bbc will show the front getting further east. I find the mountain area forecasts from the meto to be a bit more honest and they give a better idea of the thoughts of the forecasters. The aviation tafs are very reliable too. Showing light snow for leeds bradford in the early hours. Don't just rely on what u see from the graphics, there's a reason they aren't giving much detail about friday night.

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Snow no longer shown for the Yorkshire region like it was yesterday on BBC weather forecast. sad.png

Would that be because it takes ages to update and will be based on the downgrade on last nights charts, and haven't taken into account the recent upgrade for yorkshire on the most recent charts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The GFS 06Z run certainly tones up our snow prospects relative to the 00Z, putting us in the firing line for frontal snow tomorrow (except perhaps for eastern coastal areas) and then bringing in a larger supply of snow showers off the North Sea through to next Tuesday due to a colder and more unstable easterly flow, especially affecting the same coastal areas that are progged to get relatively little snow tomorrow.

The GFS 00Z setup for early next week was more marginal and more likely to be dry and cloudy (as opposed to bringing sunshine and snow showers) in between frontal systems due to modification from the SE.

However the UKMO/ECMWF outputs both look like they would bring rather more significant snowfall, from both fronts and North Sea convection, than the GFS, and they also keep cold and snowy weather going through to at least the end of next week.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Still looks like tomorrows band will reach us, but like my thoughts yesterday, it will be mainly light and patchy. Still, the NAE and NMM give 2-5cm quite widely across our region, and given that it seems it will stall and fizzle out over us then its certainly possible. Plenty more snow opportunities over the coming days, from further fronts and snow showers. Just have a scan through the GEM precipitation charts >

http://www.meteociel...ode=2&archive=0

TWS, given the good consistency of the UKMO, and the GEM, i would probably side with them. Plus the ECM looks good into the medium term. GFS seems rather on its on again!

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Anybody panicking from the bbc forecast, take a look at the models. By this aft I'm sure the bbc will show the front getting further east. I find the mountain area forecasts from the meto to be a bit more honest and they give a better idea of the thoughts of the forecasters. The aviation tafs are very reliable too. Showing light snow for leeds bradford in the early hours. Don't just rely on what u see from the graphics, there's a reason they aren't giving much detail about friday night.

The BBC forecast seems to run up to about 6pm then they skip straight to saturday. Very strange. The Met and BBC on line forecasts both have light snow from early evening Friday right through to Monday. I suspect it will all change again tonight and into tomorrow any way so fingers crossed we get a hit

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

The Met and BBC on line forecasts both have light snow from early evening Friday right through to Monday. I suspect it will all change again tonight and into tomorrow any way so fingers crossed we get a hit

Can trump you on that the Met is current saying for my location Snow from 1800 Thursday through to the end of Monday when it ends forecasting. It will be VERY interesting if that pays off even with it being light snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Just seen bbc weather it shows the main band in west then it moves south through south london then it seems to turn and moves up nw through east anglia onto lincolnshire then snow showers sat with a biting easterly wind

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I cannot stress this enough but at such a close range (48 hours) the Met Office will not be paying a blind bit of difference to the normal model runs, they will be going with the high resolution outputs (NMM, NME, UKV).

Posted

06Z NMM which comes out at 11am has got snow reaching western parts of Yorkshire by 2pm tomorrow and staying over the region all day in comparison with the 00Z NMM which never really reached Yorkshire, this ties in with the latest GFS eastwards movement.

Posted

I cannot stress this enough but at such a close range (48 hours) the Met Office will not be paying a blind bit of difference to the normal model runs, they will be going with the high resolution outputs (NMM, NME, UKV).

True, but that doesn't mean they are going to be correct. I've been told that NMM underplays totals quite a bit, and if it came off, snow would not even make it to the NW of England.

Posted

True, but that doesn't mean they are going to be correct. I've been told that NMM underplays totals quite a bit, and if it came off, snow would not even make it to the NW of England.

Casman just said that the update is a positive one.

Posted

Yeah my comment was based on the 00z, the 06z has the band much stronger, so let's see how it progresses.

Posted

Yeah my comment was based on the 00z, the 06z has the band much stronger, so let's see how it progresses.

Got the chart?

Posted

They're available here:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php

They cut off northern England but it gives you a general idea.

Posted

NMM has the band struggling to advance eastwards.