Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 15/01/13 18z------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow !!!!

Its started snowing in mosborough (sheffield ) only light but its still coming down :)

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Got the chart?

06Z on Left 00Z on right, at 3pm tomorrow

post-11617-0-37497100-1358424145_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

blaggghhh! latest bbc weather forecast on bbc news shows fri snow for midlands and southwards. this region may miss out if that materialises. may get a bit sat though with 'snow showers'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

GFS looks better from what I can see on my phone. Seems we'll have light snow across most areas tomorrow evening and then convection off the North Sea gets going during the weekend on a fairly strong east/ESE wind which could well blow showers considerably inland.

Don't take this as gospel though!! As I said, can only see a few charts on my phone.

Am out at Easingwold today and it's bitter. Nice hoar frost persisting and would be surprised if we're above 0c.

Posted

Willy wonka faux snow!

-7 in York this morning with localised "Diamond dust" falling through the night, giving a dusting of what looks like snow...All thanks to the nearby chocolate factory adding extra water vapor down wind of the factory.

"To form diamond dust the temperature must be below the freezing point of water, 0 °C (32 °F), or the ice cannot form or would melt. However, diamond dust is not often observed at temperatures near 0 °C (32 °F). At temperatures between 0 °C (32 °F) and about −39 °C (−38 °F) increasing the relative humidity can cause either fog or diamond dust. This is because very small droplets of water can remain liquid well below the freezing point, a state known as supercooled water. In areas with a lot of small particles in the air, from human pollution or natural sources like dust, the water droplets are likely to be able to freeze at a temperature around −10 °C (14 °F)" Ref: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Diamond_dust

post-5508-0-45407900-1358424618_thumb.jp

Diamond dust on a willow tree in York @ 10am

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted

Light snow coming down again here now. Anyone else reporting snow?

As stated a few days ago. We have the cold in place. Almost everything that falls is going to be snow.

Enjoy the little surprise bits of snow as much as the main events.

Lets drop the charts and differing opinions and see what happens here. I am sure it won't disappoint sometime in the next week.

It may be W Yorks gets hammered next week instead. What will be will be good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Like someone stated if it slips further south this will increase the possibility of this cold spell to last and increase the chance of heavy snow showers to come in off the big pond to the east of us and unless I'm wrong.

Is this a similar scenario to 2010 not saying that we could get that snow fall?

And just to say I can not believe how much the bbc weather has changed since weather view in the early hours !

Edited by Lincstim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'm still seeing the MetO and Beeb having snow over us here from this evening onward??? I just wonder if there will be some orographic enhancement as the airmass pushes up the slopes from Gtr M/cr? As it stands I feel I should back down from any concerns i had yesterday about travel difficulties but then remember my childhood in M/cr and the number of times 'battleground snow' was badly forecasted even hours before the event?

I guess it will be a 'nowcast' event with all eyes on the Radar through the day?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Yellow Alert of Snow for Yorkshire & Humber : East Riding of Yorkshire, Kingston upon Hull, North East Lincolnshire, North Lincolnshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire & York valid from 0005 Sat 19 Jan to 1200 Sun 20 Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Flurries here.

Even if we do get snow tomorrow, I'll still be very disappointed while I see most other regions getting a good pasting. Ah well, you win some you lose some.

Posted

If the easterly winds pick up could this not increase the possibility of heavy continues showers coming in of the North Sea. Is this not how 2010 occurred?

Posted

Looking at the 12:40ish Beeb update some proper showers from the east coast well past Leeds on sat.. Fri might be a downgrade for us but but think were in prime position for sat onwards..

Posted

As GW points out i feel there will be suprises but ultimately let downs in these situations.In the 70s n 80si remember big suprises in this sort o set up when snow was forecast. Big nowcasting events for me these with alot of radar watching n in this next wk or so you watch things pop up on the charts/radar.Regards n good luck all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Consistent light snow ATM, which is settling on the bin lid instantly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

That's it, I'm not getting disheartened and I'm not getting excited! Will just wait until tomorrow and see what starts falling from the sky.

Posted

How did 2010 snow fall happen. Is it a similar pattern to what we have now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Can you just believe that out of the whole country warnings -only yorkshire n Scotland look like no sig snow. What a shame :(