Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 18Z 16/1/13 onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

I know we should be concentrating on tomorrow, but how about this for only 42 hours away!!!

gfs-0-42.png?18

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

There seems to be growing consensus among the more senior members that Atlantic might finally have the key to the (b)lock. I can't really see this having any weight when we're looking deep into FI, no albedo temperature effects are initialised. I have no reason to think that the Northern high has less than a week to go. But then again, I'm rubbish at this.

Posted

18Z is an upgrade for cold, with heights building over Greenland and Scandinavia pushing the mild further west.

gfs-0-96.png?18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

You are joking?

This time yesterday it was a Nationwide event tonight its for the SW and Midlands only.

Andy

I think you are joking? The models very clearly show snow amounts varying from 2-10cm across the country, away from Wales and west Midlands where totals could be in the region of 10-20cm. Way more over hills.

http://expert-images...011900_1718.gif

http://www.weatheron...=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

Nationwide event I think.

Edited by Chris D

Posted

GFS only needs to move slightly further west and will see what the CMA showed this morning, better heights over greenland the low further south, displacing the azores and allowing channel low and then long term cold as hights build over greenland. CMA this evening not as good this evening as the low doesn't eject a shortwave at t120 allowing the azores to stick its nose in and energy to go north east.

Posted

For what its worth looking at events next Tuesday/Wednesday the easterly as was the case this weeks looks to be getting lighter when comparing it with previous runs.

Pretty good upper temperatures though.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20130117/18/126/h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Well GFS looking less than inspiring for next week now. In SW'lys by Wed!

Didn't the GFS say the same about this week too, at this time last week? rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

yet again gfs remains consistent in breaking down the cold at 150 hrs.cant it be wrong run after run???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Didn't the GFS say the same about this week too, at this time last week? rofl.gif

Last week they had the mighty ECM in disagreement...

Posted

Well GFS looking less than inspiring for next week now. In SW'lys by Wed!

Yes it remains out of kilter with the other models, which have stronger heights to the North that deflect the jet. The GFS seems to get to T120 and think 'right, I've got to get the Azores High into the UK'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

I think you are joking? The models very clearly show snow amounts varying from 2-10cm across the country, away from Wales and west Midlands where totals could be in the region of 10-20cm. Way more over hills.

http://expert-images...011900_1718.gif

http://www.weatheron...=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

Nationwide event I think.

Sorry Chris,

I hadnt seem the updated NAE which is actually better for Nationwide snow than this morning.

We shall see, but I agree its looking better for us Northerners than it was earlier today.

Andy

Posted

yet again gfs remains consistent in breaking down the cold at 150 hrs.cant it be wrong run after run???

oh yes it can blum.gif

Not a chance in hell that any of the models have things nailed that far out. This set up is mind bogglingly complex and you would be better of consulting mystic meg at 150 hours at the moment.

Jason

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

It always breaks down the cold at T150! Thing is, it never seems to get any closer......

FI firmly T96 anyway.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Yet again the gfs (yawn) follows the same old script, 3 runs out of 4 today when the cold block subsides due to the atlantic angle of attack being west to east, hoping for better in the morning.

Don't let the gfs spoil your enjoyment of the snow tomorrow.drinks.gif

post-4783-0-07104500-1358461553_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

i wonder if this evenings GFS is a mild outlier it has been very bullyish on flattening the pattern quickly it looks nothing like the euros for suregfs-0-144.png?18?18

Posted

Think we will know either way if the block is going to break next week by this time tomorrow, we only need slightly higher heights into greenland and that low will be further south, so eject more energy south east, reinforce the block and stop that awful azores high poking its nose in.

No point looking past T90 on next run. just look at t90 t84 t78 t72 over the next 4 runs and hopefully see the trend for the azores to be displaced further south. if its not thats the block gone.

Wont be to sad, loads of snow over next few days and with the vortex in trouble the next cold period may not be far away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Yet again the gfs (yawn) follows the same old script, 3 runs out of 4 today when the cold block subsides due to the atlantic angle of attack being west to east, hoping for better in the morning.

Don't let the gfs spoil your enjoyment of the snow tomorrow.drinks.gif

It certainly won't. I don't normally get too hung up on which model's are performing best as usually they all have good and bad spells but the GFS appears to me to have been shocking for most of 2013. UKMO seems to have been the most consistent over the last 7-10 days!

Posted

Yes it did!

today.. 6 days ago..

Posted

GFS certainly seems to be playing the 'how do I normalise weather 6 days out?' game

Maybe with record breaking entropy and SSW action, you don't!

This whole T150 breakdown every time is a case of a stopped clock being right once every 12 hours......