Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - Cold and Snow 17/01/13 ->

Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Sky news weather

Today's snow will turn light & patchy overnight, but E Scotland, Northern Ireland & NE England are at risk of significant accumulations.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

what makes it even more galling is the remnants of the band to the south, which incidentally dosent look like making it to us and merging, is now heading out to the east coast near hull and getting sucked into the showers that will get fired into north northumberland, utterly unbelievable, this has been such a let down so far!!

Posted

Durham getting into the act in the next 3 hours for sure.

If we're VERY lucky... this is a lot later than it was forecast, isn't it? By that point we'll be 15cms down on everyone else.

Posted

I can understand Nick's frustrations although we have had snow here(I was not in Pelaw today so could not tell how much but I was in Hebburn so I would say 2 or 3 heavy snow showers perhaps) you can see where Shields has been getting battered for the last an hour, the snow here is fairly moderate but its quite patchy so its coming and going really.

Anyone notice there is not much wind as around as you perhaps might expect in this set up? its pretty calm outside really, helps the snow for sure.

Posted

Chill out guys, it's the weather and it will do what it wants, no point in getting worked up. Let's just sit back and see what happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

These showers will tilt ESE instead of SE over the next 3 hrs, and shower activity increases over NE/E Yorks, slowly and steadily the south of the region will get more involved.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

What's happening in Newcastle proper now, away from the coast? Will I be returning to several inches of new snow on Sunday? Absolutely zilch lying west of Hexham, very little at the Heddon on the Wall petrol station in fact earlier.

Posted

This is the problem with convective snow. Frontal: you all get it. Convective: hit and miss; all or nothing. I hate that. Seems like we're always the ones to miss out too - I remember 2010, the amounts around Morpeth and N Northumberland were miles above ours because they got all the streamers and showers. Maybe I should move. This is crp.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Chill out guys, it's the weather and it will do what it wants, no point in getting worked up. Let's just sit back and see what happens.

How much snow have you had mate? Im in darlington at the moment but live in durham and i can tell you both those locations have had nowt, so yes i am frustrated!!

In terms of snow today our part of the north east probably least snowiest area in uk bar isles of scilly

Edited by Continental Climate

Posted

CC, Cumbria has 0mm of snow. I should know, I'm suffering it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting!

It's all getting a bit Jeremy Kyle in here lol - fascinating seeing different people's ways of dealing with disappointment. Certainly keeping my mind off looking out the window!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp

Snowing in Durham now, nothing heavy though. Hopefully the main band of showers will make landfall later on tonight!

Posted

I must admit, I'm pretty shocked at all these comments as conditions seemed fantastic when I left newcastle and I didn't have time to check the radar.

Posted

It's all getting a bit Jeremy Kyle in here lol - fascinating seeing different people's ways of dealing with disappointment. Certainly keeping my mind off looking out the window!

As you may have noticed, I don't handle it well.

Posted

Had a couple of light showers today, nothing of note. This image will show you how close but no cigar I am (red dot is me)!

screenshot20130118at175.png

I was like you guys when I posted on the forum in 2006, but over the years I've learnt it's not worth getting yourself stressed because it does what it wants.

Still hopeful for later on tonight though.

Edited by garylaverick

Posted

fjfFM.png

My location is literally on the edge of it and only getting a few sprinkles of snow. It seems to be missing me completely over the next hour as it skirts by.

Posted

We are 6 hrs into the 72hr convective window!! Calm down, I had 4cm on Mon whilst Durham had 8cm, you win some, you lose some.

I think the difference is when there are loads of convective showers every where you understand that some will get more than others... but when it's all or NOTHING... then that's an altogether different bucketload of disappointment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Just returned from my mams house and heard warnings from what I assume to be the authorities asking people to stay indoors and not to venture out.!! First time Ive ever heard owt like that, anyways the snow is coming down in bucket loads here right now and looks to be set in for at least a couple of hours.

Where are they saying to stay in?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Very light snow falling here. Just needs to come west a bit ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

From the garden

post-12649-0-07185800-1358532242_thumb.j

Posted

Judging by Facebook there's a blizzard in High Heaton and Gosforth but nothing in Fawdon or Byker. Really??