Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 06z Onwards

Jane Louise

Posted

Such a shame the 2m temps just wernt that cold.

It seemed to thawing as it was snowing during the morning.

With tempertures below freezing, snowfall amounts would of been interesting. Due to the wet type of snow, no drifting occured.

Will I see my temperature gauge drop below freezing tonight? It still hasent reached negative values since this 'cold spell' started last Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Well all in all a fantastic day, only stopped snowing about an hour ago and just been out and measured before the melt sets in and we have had17cm in Ventnor far more than expected. Hats off to Ian Ferguson et al for getting this spot on.

Here's looking forward to Sunday now, bring it on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Latest NAE is showing light snow here right through Saturday...

What..?

Just been out for a few hours to enjoy the snow. The deepest snow i've seen in my lifetime IMBY, probably around 15cm. Amazing to walk through a wooded area with the branches covered in snow. Apart from getting deeper snow, it cant get any better than this for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

well i just come back from the vets bit upset my dog had to be put to sleep broke my heart.

but already foot print holes have yet another dusting on top moderate snow grains falling at a moderate rate with wind driving it rather shocked because i thought this was the end of the event but clearly there is some residule engery left here and there.

rest in peace my wizzy on this snowy day x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Good stuff PB, my last measurement was over three hours ago now and even then it was 80mm so I can say I am pleased with that.

Plenty of action to come over the next few days and I can see very little melting going on, in this part of the region. smile.png

When I went for a walk ther was some melting...sides of roads in the channels, also I can see it a little on my road at the junction in the tyre tracks. rather than being compacted white is it brown and slightly slushy, Not massively and as we draw to evening I suspect this will freeze again. Interestingly too there were a few iceicles on some cars ...think this was were they had been driven and warmed up and then parked up again with the water freezing as it dripped off.

Hmm lets see what happens next few days... could be interesting. drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Not sure if its just my elevation that is confusing radar or not but I have been clear of all ppn for about an hour now and still light to moderate snow falling good.gif quite strange

Not long now for fresh ramping materials I hope air_kiss.gif

I've been in the same white area of the radar as you and we've had showers all afternoon of varying intensity, currently very light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Same here. The snow is getting heavier again. It hasn't stopped yet!

same here (well not surprisingly considering my location...lol) quite heavy snow topping up the earlier covering nicely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

HEAVY SNOW.. Big flakes ( Bigger than anything in the last 12 hours )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

well i just come back from the vets bit upset my dog had to be put to sleep broke my heart.

but already foot print holes have yet another dusting on top moderate snow grains falling at a moderate rate with wind driving it rather shocked because i thought this was the end of the event but clearly there is some residule engery left here and there.

rest in peace my wizzy on this snowy day x

#

So So sorry rollercoaster... sending hugs. RIP Wizzy. sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

HEAVY SNOW.. Big flakes ( Bigger than anything in the last 12 hours )

Where are you lynxus? Can't see you location as on my mobile

Posted

same here (well not surprisingly considering my location...lol) quite heavy snow topping up the earlier covering nicely

Think we was right by saying might be a sweet spot.... Yes heavy now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Nae does seem to edging the low from France further west than the last run and with more precip...interesting next few frames

Ooh brilliant! Please can you keep us updated? Is this Sunday or Sunday night?

Feb 18 1978, Boot hill Rodwell was impassable, Had to leave my car bottom hill and walk up to Cross Road, Think also was Easter 79, Snow was bad in that area, That particular fall started in the morning and got pretty bad before it turned to rain, Also New Years Eve 78/79 saw snow that froze and stayed few days around Rodwell

Thank you. That has brought joy to my husbands ears. I was living away in 1978.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Melting like crazy here for the last hour or so, looks like more coming, but although it is showing as snow, wonder if it will fall as such when it gets here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Hello in the SW thread. I am in the middle of Cardiff and due to drive to Bristol airport by six am on Saturday morning. What's the best way in in these conditions please?

Ha ha, yep sounds like me. Was up most of Wed night going through all the charts etc then last night only got about an hour's sleep as was also too excited to sleep.

More chances this winter yes I'm sure (possibly, with a bit of luck, Sunday for staters) but Rodwell is not ideally placed (as I'm sure you know!). I'm 2 and a half miles inland and it often just is enough to make the difference between wet snow and sleety rain. Keep the faith, you'll get some! smile.png

That is music to my husbands ears and has brought some joy back into his life :-)

Posted

I don't say much, but I know you all like a snow photo. Here's the A4 just past Savernake Forest at the point, two miles into my journey, when I thought I might as well give up and work at home. I took my good camera with me, though, "just in case" tease.gif

ETA: Oh, the pix seem a bit big - next time I'll make them a bit smaller ;)

post-1577-0-60151900-1358522217_thumb.jp

post-1577-0-19898400-1358522237_thumb.jp

post-1577-0-89263300-1358522253_thumb.jp

post-1577-0-60513200-1358522311_thumb.jp

post-1577-0-35431600-1358522388_thumb.jp

Edited by Steve_De4

Posted

Just been out for a few hours to enjoy the snow. The deepest snow i've seen in my lifetime IMBY, probably around 15cm.

Brilliant!! You could change your name lol !

A good 5 to 6 inches in Warminster, although local variances are obvious when seeing cars driving past with only a few inches on them.

Going to freeze overnight, although not as bad if the sky doesn't clear and at this stage continued snow flurries/showers look likely.