Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 06z Onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

waiting for the 12z to come out mate, Ian F's tweeted about possibilities for us on Sunday and into next week, so fingers crossed! good.gif

Yes just looked back through gfs ppn maps for sunday and it is very close to us in fact touching the somerset bristol area so if we had another slight westwards shift it could give our region at least a cm or two maybe. Afterall it would be rude for those in south east to hog it all after we shared todays with them acute.gifacute.gif

Posted

Rodwell has had very little. Do you think we will get some more as I have a very disappointed husband who stayed up half the night lamp post watching as he was to excited to sleep.

Ha ha, yep sounds like me. Was up most of Wed night going through all the charts etc then last night only got about an hour's sleep as was also too excited to sleep.

More chances this winter yes I'm sure (possibly, with a bit of luck, Sunday for staters) but Rodwell is not ideally placed (as I'm sure you know!). I'm 2 and a half miles inland and it often just is enough to make the difference between wet snow and sleety rain. Keep the faith, you'll get some! smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Its amazing the differences in a short distance. Just heard on the local news that Yeovilton only had 2cm whereas we have had more than 10.

Yep - I can agree there. Wellington less than 3cm too,

Posted

As promised a few pictures.

very brief.

1 of the depth in the garden taken with a ruler (on top of the hutch by the house so should be pretty accurate) 18cm or so, but it has been snowing since and still is.

1 of the main road in my part of dorset the A350, showing that its pretty dire out there.

Some of various places.

The blue thing is a dog lead approx 6 inchs height trying to show the depth on the hill i.e it was twice the depth of the dog lead so 12 inchs or so. (the pictures were all from 9.30am this morning so the hill will certainly be higher.

BTW I know i am very lucky, just wish everybody could have lots of snow.

Current conditions temp 0.9C Dp -1.5C light snow.

sorry about the size of the pictures.

Great pics Iceberg!

I love that area. In 2010 I walked from the "car park" on the top road at Spread Eagle, the bti before Melbury Abbas by the airfield, down in to Compton village. Spent more time on my backside than on foot...

Bet zigzags was er interesting this morning too.

As for me today I can report 4 cm in my garden but 10+ cm in plenty of places on a morning stroll (not far from Bournemouth Airport). Saw heavy snow, moderate snow, light snow, snizzle, graupel, rain, just about the lot!

Edit: Can also confirm I've got Sky working again by climbing a ladder and sweeping the dish off. Thought it was a stupid idea myself, byt SWMBO was certain I needed to do this.

Edited by EGHH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Going to be another interesting run!

Robin, Today's snow has made me feel like a kid in a sweet store, I'm totally full up, yet I can still find room for more! laugh.png

Posted

Heavy snow now in frome yet nothing on radar on rain today, how does that work then?

Not in the bit of Frome I'm in. Gentle snow I would say.

Posted

Yes just looked back through gfs ppn maps for sunday and it is very close to us in fact touching the somerset bristol area so if we had another slight westwards shift it could give our region at least a cm or two maybe. Afterall it would be rude for those in south east to hog it all after we shared todays with them acute.gifacute.gif

Looked like on the BBC South news that the snow did not go too far West, not even as far as here in East Hampshire. However, should things change we would not begrudge you a further dumping.

Stillll snowing in Petersfield BTW!

Posted

Iceman, similar here, just up road really from the plain, can nearly see them from where i live.

ah nice one yeah big old area aint it lol is it still snowing at yours ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Chapmanslade, its just bone moderate but heavy about 10 mins ago. I can see chapmanslade rit over to cley hill as you probably can, im right up bath side of frome and it did look lighter over your way when it bucketed down here, sometimes opposite happens long

Eat, cley hill get tonnes of snow or rain and we can get nothing and have sunshine, so local the weather its amazing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Rodwell has had very little. Do you think we will get some more as I have a very disappointed husband who stayed up half the night lamp post watching as he was to excited to sleep.

Feb 18 1978, Boot hill Rodwell was impassable, Had to leave my car bottom hill and walk up to Cross Road, Think also was Easter 79, Snow was bad in that area, That particular fall started in the morning and got pretty bad before it turned to rain, Also New Years Eve 78/79 saw snow that froze and stayed few days around Rodwell Edited by cerneman

Posted

anyone no if will get anymore heavy snow for the rest of the afternoon in the plainss it all gone now, or ha if any one could let me know that would be great

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Iceman, possible bud, snow here right now and big splodge coming in off bristol channel and headed put way for about 5.00 5.15, if it has the energy to stick together and break up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Here we go a few photos from still snowing Newbury

Hope you took some food along for those poor birds :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Here we go a few photos from still snowing Newbury

Good stuff PB, my last measurement was over three hours ago now and even then it was 80mm so I can say I am pleased with that.

Plenty of action to come over the next few days and I can see very little melting going on, in this part of the region. smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Not sure if its just my elevation that is confusing radar or not but I have been clear of all ppn for about an hour now and still light to moderate snow falling good.gif quite strange

Not long now for fresh ramping materials I hope air_kiss.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I WANT MORE! Give me more snow!

Posted

Having the thickest snow of this spell - but radar shows hardly anything above us.

Who cares.. bring it on...

John in Gloucester (Quedgeley - low down)

p.s. Earlier pic with the toboggans all primed and ready for the slopes of..... Painswick Beacon

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TAyHwy9FgUI/UPlefCzRzSI/AAAAAAAALvE/dENtGSavGm0/s640/DSCN1135.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Not sure if its just my elevation that is confusing radar or not but I have been clear of all ppn for about an hour now and still light to moderate snow falling good.gif quite strange

Not long now for fresh ramping materials I hope air_kiss.gif

I have fond memories of Sid, do you think this Sid going to be bigger, better and beefier Sidney, Mulls. sorry.gif

Posted

Iceman, possible bud, snow here right now and big splodge coming in off bristol channel and headed put way for about 5.00 5.15, if it has the energy to stick together and break up.

sweet mate hope its comes for us then not really snowing here just couple tiny flakes come down now and then.