Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted

*** Thought folks on here might like to know that "Winterwatch 1963 - The Big Freeze " is just starting now on BBC2 now (17.30) ***

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Sorry I dont think I can do thatcray.gif

But you aren't exactly Mr positive when it comes to snow possibilities.

Yes, I know all about this location, location, location stuff but just once in a while, your dreams (snow) can and do come too.

Have faith Andy because without that, we'd all be giving up. good.gif My advice would be to wait until <t+6 hours and then check, regarding your original query.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Gets confusing on here more so if you read the MOD thread so many conflicting posts, I was under the impression the SSW does not start building heights until 25th Jan onwards yet people are talking about Atlantic breaking through 25th onwards.

I am a relative novice when it comes to looking at models so seek others views but that just makes me even more confusedtease.gif

Posted

Be interesting to see if they mention this in the forecast tonight, or even hint at the potential of snow on Tuesday. smile.png

Local BBC Points West 3 day image showed dull and mostly dry tomorrow/Monday then snow Tuesday daytime.

Posted

With all this cold weather I forgot about the SSW, has it started to effect the lower atmosphere yet? Was the recent cold caused by it or are we yet to see the effect of the SSW?

Edited by ginkrots

Posted

But you aren't exactly Mr positive when it comes to snow possibilities.

Yes, I know all about this location, location, location stuff but just once in a while, your dreams (snow) can and do come too.

Have faith Andy because without that, we'd all be giving up. good.gif My advice would be to wait until <t+6 hours and then check, regarding your original query.

Doesn't matter to me, I'm in Manchester when this is supposed to happen!

But your right, I do view snow from the west as "an unlikely event"

From the SE now that's a different story...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

MO/BBC showing rain or sleet falling from Monday onwards and temps rising well above any potential for snow - the Atlantic is too powerful right now but so what.......we had a great fall here, third winter in a row. My view is that there will be a mild spell for some days and we need the Atlantic to calm down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

on bbc2 now winter of 1963

sungirl beat me to it good.gif

Yep got it on now, now that's what you call snow depths! I never knew so many animals perished :/ Being a bird lover I prey a freeze up like that never happens again!

That really looks like uk's version of the day after tomorrow, incredible!

Edited by Smartie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Lets hope this ssw throughs in a surprise soon and maintains the cold past next weekend as it shows a breakdown at the moment. cray.gif

Before then though lets hope we all see another decent snow event just in case it doesn't drinks.gif

-1.5c and bitter outside with the occasional flake of snow although I would like to see a clear night to really penetrate the ground and snow fields.

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms

With all this cold weather I forgot about the SSW, has it started to effect the lower atmosphere yet? Was the recent cold caused by it or are we yet to see the effect of the SSW?

My understanding is that the SSW has ended or just about ended but the effects take time to filter down through to the lower atmosphere which is the effects we are feeling now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

My understanding is that the SSW has ended or just about ended but the effects take time to filter down through to the lower atmosphere which is the effects we are feeling now.

It should start having an affect around now if its going to. ( It was always estimated to have an affect towards the end of the month. )

Im pretty sure the cold spell at the moment has nothing to do with the SSW

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Definitely, also the moors have a lot of moisture on them so this can also help. Is it really going back that far??!! Thats about 6 miles!! Your kidding right??!!

Well we heard of people taking 40 minutes to get from crownhill to the george, then another 40 minutes up to leather tor. Just shows that snow still pulls in the crowds!

Posted

Big hello to everyone in the West Country, all eyes on this very complex baroclinic feature on Monday.

Wow it's been a while since you were last in here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Had a cracking time in the snow with my little lad, slope was quite worn when we got there but better for the sledge than to deep. Thought if it carried on i would of struggled to find the car lol.

post-13809-0-42708000-1358619125_thumb.j

post-13809-0-38480100-1358619158_thumb.j

Posted

It should start having an affect around now if its going to. ( It was always estimated to have an affect towards the end of the month. )

Yeas, I thought the SSW had a lag period, so the last event wasn't SSW driven.

Certainly has, the severe and exciting weather tends to bring me back - you can be rest assured of that biggrin.png

Good stuff, always useful input, so welcome back

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms

If you listen to John Hammond on the BBC weather web page he explains the the SSW is at least partly responsible for our current cold spell and although the SSW is reducing the effects will be felt for several more days. He explains that they were able to predict the current cold snap because of their understanding and monitoring of SSW.

Posted

Wow that programme on BBC 2 was excellent.

My family have always lived in Devon and they all love to tell me how ive never seen proper snow in this country, and after watching that I can see why. Devon and Cornwall got absolutely hammered! My parents always refer to 1963 and my grand parents refer to 1947 and 1963!

My dad recalls how the snow filled up the main roads and the only way you could get around was to walk along top the hedges! The river froze so thick they drove tractors along it etc etc

I wonder if we will ever see anything like that again down here? Im 27 now and im still waiting......