Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

That was fab - thanks BBC 2 and Cliff Michelmore! I was just 2 years old at the time... smile.png

Back to the here and now... any similar patterns?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

As also mentioned by TEITS in the model thread, I'd advise caution there - the wind will be coming from the south west and, despite the low uppers, the lower air will be warmed up a little. Some people on high ground and inland might do okay, but anyone on the SW and Wales coasts won't be so lucky I fear.

Still, we'll see - it's three days away yet and things will no doubt not pan out as the models show - just be careful of anticipating snow when the wind is flowing from the south west, even though the uppers are low.

Currently winds progged to SE on Monday so there is hope but can all change in blink of an eye or someone pressing return on a keyboard!

Posted

Thanks for the replies regarding SSW, it's amazing that the effects could still be coming in the near future and into February. Hopefully more cold and snow but there's always that small chance we could miss out.

Posted

That was fab - thanks BBC 2 and Cliff Michelmore! I was just 2 years old at the time... smile.png

Back to the here and now... any similar patterns?

I was born in April 1963 so my mum would have been heavily pregnant with me throughout. How on earth she managed to get through it I will never know and she's not around unforunately to ask now. Amazing snowscapes which must have got quite terryfying especially for those not so well off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

Wow that programme on BBC 2 was excellent.

My family have always lived in Devon and they all love to tell me how ive never seen proper snow in this country, and after watching that I can see why. Devon and Cornwall got absolutely hammered! My parents always refer to 1963 and my grand parents refer to 1947 and 1963!

My dad recalls how the snow filled up the main roads and the only way you could get around was to walk along top the hedges! The river froze so thick they drove tractors along it etc etc

I wonder if we will ever see anything like that again down here? Im 27 now and im still waiting......

i think so ..... Seems to happen every 20 odd years for the last 100 years

Posted

This little coldish spell is/was just normal winter fare.

Currently the models show no sign of the SSW affecting the UK. No building of heights towards Greenland.

If you want a proper cold spell without the Atlantic giving wet slushy thawing snow, then Greenland is the key.

And I think that's where it gets interesting. John Hammond explains "It's partly to do with the SSW" (quote/unquote not my words), if you follow the Stratosphere Temperature watch it discusses at length about the time lag, which suggests somebody's timing is slightly out. Of course, it's all relative, and then you need to consider the "Solar & Aurora Activity thread" when viewing what's happening.

It's very interesting all around right now.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Well we heard of people taking 40 minutes to get from crownhill to the george, then another 40 minutes up to leather tor. Just shows that snow still pulls in the crowds!

Blimey!! Someone from the village said there was a ridiculous amount of traffic!! Been the busiest I have ever seen it in Princetown. The owner of the pub where me, the missus and 2 other friends built our snow family reckons the must be the most photographed snowmen in the country!! Haha!! Here goes, will post again!!

post-18883-0-95906800-1358620118_thumb.j

post-18883-0-00678800-1358620138_thumb.j

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted

Wow that programme on BBC 2 was excellent.

My family have always lived in Devon and they all love to tell me how ive never seen proper snow in this country, and after watching that I can see why. Devon and Cornwall got absolutely hammered! My parents always refer to 1963 and my grand parents refer to 1947 and 1963!

My dad recalls how the snow filled up the main roads and the only way you could get around was to walk along top the hedges! The river froze so thick they drove tractors along it etc etc

I wonder if we will ever see anything like that again down here? Im 27 now and im still waiting......

'63 was great I loved it, and will never ever forget it, who knows the situation for another 63 might happen even now

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

If you listen to John Hammond on the BBC weather web page he explains the the SSW is at least partly responsible for our current cold spell and although the SSW is reducing the effects will be felt for several more days. He explains that they were able to predict the current cold snap because of their understanding and monitoring of SSW.

Hmmm. Not 100% on that.

Considering an SSW only results on "cold" for the UK 2/3 times. Not sure how they could use that as a measure.

ALSO! The SSW was not creating ANY affects on the troposphere at the time of the initial cause of the cold weather.

I would suspect that the SSW has helped keep it and possible make it stronger. However im almost certain that it wasnt the cause. We are also not yet feeling the full force of the SSW. So. erm Hmm...

Posted

Hmmm. Not 100% on that.

Considering an SSW only results on "cold" for the UK 2/3 times. Not sure how they could use that as a measure.

ALSO! The SSW was not creating ANY affects on the troposphere at the time of the initial cause of the cold weather.

I would suspect that the SSW has helped keep it and possible make it stronger. However im almost certain that it wasnt the cause. We are also not yet feeling the full force of the SSW. So. erm Hmm...

Agreed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of Snow

prectypeuktopo.png

whats going on here then according to this it should be snowing right now , its as dry as a chip outside.

Posted

prectypeuktopo.png

whats going on here then according to this it should be snowing right now , its as dry as a chip outside.

Models,models,models kinda says it all really

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Alex deacon, just said snow east and far southwest, but none for b.n.e.s until tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

NMM 12z Models looking great for Cornwall tomorrow evening and overnight. Perhaps starting off as rain but looks like turning wintry from about St Ives Eastwards, perhaps almost everyone eventually. Probably any accumulations moderate at best, maybe none near coasts but id be grateful just to see some falling snow!

Posted

Well looks like the snow is here to stay for at least 2 days now with temps not expected to get above freezing tomorrow and sunday before the chance of more snow sometime next week, great outlook aswel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

At what timescale do the higher res models go out to like NMM etc?

Posted

NMM 12z Models looking great for Cornwall tomorrow evening and overnight. Perhaps starting off as rain but looks like turning wintry from about St Ives Eastwards, perhaps almost everyone eventually. Probably any accumulations moderate at best, maybe none near coasts but id be grateful just to see some falling snow!

Hi Blizzards I would be so pleased to see you guys get some snow. Devon often misses out but of course Cornwall usually does worse. Fingers crossed this week for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Wish all the people in southwest and southeast a gat snowfest over next 2days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

At what timescale do the higher res models go out to like NMM etc?

Same as NAE, 48 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

Little bit off topic i guess but maybe the mods will allow it as its sooo amazing.

After watching the BBC program on 62/63 i decided to check out the archives.

Everyone have a look for yourself they are amazing!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=19&month=1&year=1963&hour=12&map=0&mode=0

50 years ago today we would have been looking at a screaming easterly and for once the south west and south actually get the worse of the cold!

19th January 1963:

archives-1963-1-19-12-0.png

Uppers:

archives-1963-1-19-12-1.png

Casual -12 uppers over whole of southern england and -14/16 over the South West!

Just imagine what we'd be like if something akin to this came to frutition we'd be frozen!

I finished off with 12 level centimeters from Fridays event, it really was amazing, the most since Dec 10 for me where i received 16cm but i've never seen blowing snow like Fridays in the UK before, only in the alps! Check my twitter i'll be tweeting a load of pictures soon.

No thaw here today - compression of the snow but certainly no thaw!

Lets hope for a bit more this week..

-eded-

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Same as NAE, 48 hours

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Little bit off topic i guess but maybe the mods will allow it as its sooo amazing.

After watching the BBC program on 62/63 i decided to check out the archives.

Everyone have a look for yourself they are amazing!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=19&month=1&year=1963&hour=12&map=0&mode=0

50 years ago today we would have been looking at a screaming easterly and for once the south west and south actually get the worse of the cold!

19th January 1963:

archives-1963-1-19-12-0.png

Uppers:

archives-1963-1-19-12-1.png

Casual -12 uppers over whole of southern england and -14/16 over the South West!

Just imagine what we'd be like if something akin to this came to frutition we'd be frozen!

I finished off with 12 level centimeters from Fridays event, it really was amazing, the most since Dec 10 for me where i received 16cm but i've never seen blowing snow like Fridays in the UK before, only in the alps! Check my twitter i'll be tweeting a load of pictures soon.

No thaw here today - compression of the snow but certainly no thaw!

Lets hope for a bit more this week..

-eded-

Yes just imagine if we were going through a repeat of the '63 pattern, at least in the mod thread they'd be none of the usual statements about cold or snow being everywhere bar the south west or far south west like you often read in that thread, instead it would be the south west getting the worst of it!!

Posted

Yes just imagine if we were going through a repeat of the '63 pattern, at least in the mod thread they'd be none of the usual statements about cold or snow being everywhere bar the south west or far south west like you often read in that thread, instead it would be the south west getting the worst of it!!

And if it was a repeat of 63, the mod thread would be almost dead, as we would be getting all the action! ;)

And it was a great programme!

Edited by dec10snow