Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 16z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Oh no... Was hoping Cornwall was going to get a good dumping. Hope this changes

Well, we eventually get there at 42 hrs, snow arriving perhaps a bit later. Looks all snow towards the end which is an upgrade in that sense from earlier runs which looked more risky.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

18z GFS maintains the theme of something Wintery Tuesday morning across the West Country;

post-12721-0-08839900-1358634434_thumb.jpost-12721-0-08252800-1358634441_thumb.jpost-12721-0-88523200-1358634447_thumb.j

Ties in with the latest Met Office forecast for a period of heavy snow Tuesday AM IMBY. Too tired to look in any detail at charts tonight, but the trend remains of further, smaller snow events for parts of the south and south west next week before less cold air starts asserting itself over our region come weeks end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

And.... The GFS has gone crazy!

gfs-0-162.png?18

Imagine if that low became a "slider". :p :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

UKMO looking interesting for Tuesday (probably been discussed already, but haven't read the whole thread)

ppn

U72-594.GIF?19-18

850s

U72-7.GIF?19-18

Plenty of ppn and 850s just cold enough, especially around Bristol/Glos.

The angle of approach is not so good though with a more westerly influence, dew points etc no doubt a little higher.

U72-21.GIF?19-18

One to watch though, especially the further north you are in the region.

Edited by chris55

Posted

Judging by my Facebook, half of Torbay were heading your way looking for snow! In years past friends have done this and spent six hours stuck and not done any sledging so I don't think I'd attempt it. Love your snowpeople! smile.png

It was a nightmare getting through Yelverton this afternoon. Still not as bad as Dec 2010 when they closed the road onto the moor at Yelverton and there was just nowhere for the cars to go. Luckily we were up early that day and shared a fab field at Burrator with one other family.

Anyway, love the snow family Beast. Is that you with the orange nose?!!!!

Posted

Well the Redenham tobbogan run is near perfect , after 2 days of conssitant compacting and training our team is ready.

we are into the skelton approach now which is head first laid on a state of the art precision engineered £4.99 plastic sledge!!

timings are coming down all the time , starts are getting quicker, need to work on the steering but not to bad, some shaddy manouvers especially to other competitors. the leg grab to over take is the nutz lol

Think my boys will have life time memories form this snow event, as i did from the 80`s.

And a bonus some S.E members think its a damp squib!!!

Epic win!!

Edited by Stoxs

Posted

Just looking at the Mets text forecast for the first half of Feb here,

UK Outlook for Sunday 3 Feb 2013 to Sunday 17 Feb 2013:

There is greater than average uncertainty throughout this period. The most likely scenario is for conditions at the start of this period to be less cold than at the moment but also on the unsettled side. However, colder weather and below average temperatures then probably come to dominate once more towards mid-month. In terms of rain and snowfall, southern parts in particularly will probably start wetter than average, but trend to nearer normal by mid-month, while the north will probably see drier than average conditions for much of the period. Meanwhile, the frequency of snow events during this period may be greater than average.

Issued at: 1600 on Sat 19 Jan 2013

What caught my eye was how much detail they went into, although uncertain (as you'd expect) normally for this period, in terms of 15+ days, they only write a short and pretty vague forecast. So i am assuming the EC 32 dayer is quite strongly indicating a return to much colder weather as we head through Feb, once we get through the slightly less cold period that looks more likely towards the end of Jan.

Interesting, and I think Matt Hugo said something along these lines earlier.

Edited by chris55

Posted

Well the almost inch of snow we had was practically all gone by this morning thanks to an above freezing night & some light rain, then the rest melted as the day went on with a high of 2C. Went up to Horndean earlier though & still all their snow up there, was well jel! cray.gif

Posted

Well the almost inch of snow we had was practically all gone by this morning thanks to an above freezing night & some light rain, then the rest melted as the day went on with a high of 2C. Went up to Horndean earlier though & still all their snow up there, was well jel! cray.gif

not to far to travel to enjoy it then!!

Amazing that the sea can have that much effect isnt it.

i would say we have lost maybe 1 inch of what we had but a good 3 to 4 inchs still covering here.

but you have minutes in the summer to be on the beach!! we have atleast a 1 hour drive !

Posted

Filmed a little vid on my phone earlier while out with the dog, got confronted with a blocked road/lane!! My brother and I usually drive up here when it snows to take the dogs, but as you can see no chance of getting through.

Edited by chris55

Posted

Filmed a little vid on my phone earlier while out with the dog, got confronted with a blocked road/lane!! My bother and I usually drive up here when it snows to take the dogs, but as you can see no chance of getting through.

Wow that looks gorgeous. You had way more snow than us Devonians.

Posted

Filmed a little vid on my phone earlier while out with the dog, got confronted with a blocked road/lane!! My bother and I usually drive up here when it snows to take the dogs, but as you can see no chance of getting through.

Wow, nice! But my bother and I!?! That's no way to talk about your brother (I'm guessing) ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

It was a nightmare getting through Yelverton this afternoon. Still not as bad as Dec 2010 when they closed the road onto the moor at Yelverton and there was just nowhere for the cars to go. Luckily we were up early that day and shared a fab field at Burrator with one other family.

Anyway, love the snow family Beast. Is that you with the orange nose?!!!!

Haha!! Thanks!! Im the fat snowman!! No, im the bloke on the left!!

Posted

Wow, nice! But my bother and I!?! That's no way to talk about your brother (I'm guessing) tease.gif

Edited, lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Flipping nora! I go out for a bite to eat and a swift half come home and the charts have changed and I am looking at the wrong end ofof marginal for snow on Monday. Tuesday has become mild or less cold. Feel for the cornish snow fans as it looks a bit cold rain. But the charts can change but this close to an event?

Posted

im guessing this system shifted west a bit? meto have me for light snow at 12 and 3... Have hope for 1 or 2 more cm? lol still got a few inches here

Edited by lfcdude

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So hard to keep up....someone posts that the likely hood of snow for Cornwall is now depleting but the MetO 5 day changes from sleet to snow for me and the Netweather 'Will it snow' goes from 68% to 80% chance!

Guess this just shows what a hard job you all have trying to follow the different runs!

Fingers crossed we do get something :-)

Edited by snowphie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow cold weather and storms

Snowing in ryde iow amazing weren't expecting this again amazing did it shift west a little

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Snowing in ryde iow amazing weren't expecting this again amazing did it shift west a little

Moderate or light?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow cold weather and storms

Light covering cars and road again but still snowing