Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 19:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Paul look at the 23:00- 23:05 radar curves for our corner....

were are nearly alligned already

S

Looking very much like streamer heaven there... Don't want to jinx it, but I have been watching radar for a long, long time now and I have seen streamers come from far worse scenarios than this.

Could be mighty interesting, if things keep building, I will try and get some images to show some of the possibilities.

Posted

Think this area and Benfleet have been very unlucky today, the front stalled in Basildon, the Downs and the Medway shield blocked the late afternoon gig, then we got a little bit early evening but everything else has been either 5 miles east or 10 miles North.

Posted

Haha, yes! I get ribbed at work too for talking passionately about what potentially is going to happen. I'm guessing come Monday I'll have a few moaners as I had,said we in essexnwould be in for at least 5 cm... Maybe that stuff in the channel can make up for it!

The way I feel as it stands is that the opposite of what I was feeling around 12pm-

I had that sinking feeling- now things are getting going proper now-

Another couple of hours with winds recurving- its not quite good for london YET,,,

S

Posted

I really don't believe it, as that BLOB looks to be heading around the Medway area again (Though I don't blame it as it's kind of rough in parts ;) )

it need to swing some more for us to get in the frame here, but by then I fear it may track North.

aggressive.gif

Posted

I think there are plenty of other halves who feel the same way. These forums have been like a second home for the last fortnight, hilarious and a little bit sad! Shows how much we all love those little white ice crystals that fall from the sky! :)

So true! Am now on iPod in bed next to sleeping hubby, so now lamppost watching for me. Any ideas on more snowfall overnight for either Rochester or Ramsgate? Have to get up to visit mother in law at 7 but I can stay in bed if the roads look iffy :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Tonight I look outside and the sky is orange. It seems like a Christmas card scene, it's bright, it's sensual, it's calm and it's glowing like a lantern has lit up my back garden and it will never get dark.

I know the snow can cause chaos, i've been at the brunt of that today, I panicked. Both children went to school and I knew that was silly as I knew that school would not last further than lunch time. I was safe in the knowledge that Meghan would be okay, she's 15 and she's self sufficient, if school kicked out then she'd make her way home fine after making the most out of it with her friends but I worried about how I would get Alex after sliding down my ungritted road in my little car literally closing my eyes at times and hoping for the best! As it happens I got the text at 10.30am saying Megs school would kick out at 12pm so there began the constant refreshing of Alex's school website, Heart FM and Gmail because by this time I knew my car was going nowhere so i'd have to make the trek to the school.

It finally came at around 11.30am. School would close at normal time but parents could pick up their kids whenever they can. I was out the door by 11.31am, car keys in hand; mind half full of hassle and half full of excitement for him.

I drove.

My road is considered not worthy by gritters - again, my inner child loves that - but I drove, I drove as far as I could drive which happened to be the bottom of one of the steepest hills in Brighton at the top of my road. I reckon I could've made it too but I stopped as soon as I entered it, the traffic was backed up so I waited, drumming my fingers, anxious to get my little man until a woman walked past. I wound down the window and asked her if there was any chance I could get up this hill because although I knew my little car could make it, I didn't know what was going on ahead. She said there was 2 crashes and one stuck bus further up the hill so after some internal deliberation and sheer bloodymindedness, I decided to walk. I pulled in as far to the curb as I could get. By this time it was in my eyes a blizzard with the wind and the snow and I was nowhere near dressed for the 'occasion', in my excitement to get out of the door and my stupid thinking that I might actually make it! Anyway, I walked. Up the hill. I looked back and there were cars that were coming down the hill skidding all over the place and trying not to hit my car! I was mortified! I seriously thought that I wouldn't have a car left! But there was nothing that can be done and I had to get my boy so my brain tried to dismiss it and my legs decided to march on. So march on they did. No hat, not gloves, no parka only my work coat with just Alex in sight.

Boy oh boy was it worth it! I finally got to school and he literally jumped out of his seat when he saw me! Sure half his class had already gone but he thought I might be working in the office so he thought he would be one of the only children left at the end of the day. I've never seen him get his hat, coat and gloves on so quick!!

We walked across the school fields and he was in his element but again I was again in two minds: soaked and grumpy yet in awe of the wind and snow falling around me. We walked, I slipped, he fell. Eventually, we got to the top of THE hill. I told him that my car was stuck at the bottom and that I was worried about it and that I might have to try and move it.

Half way down the hill we saw van, a dog walkers van. She was going nowhere fast in the middle of the road, her back wheels were all over the place. Again, the devil and angel came into play. The devil was watching in fascination knowing she was going to struggle, revelling in the total chaos yet the angel thought OMG she is on a slippery slide out of control heading for my little car! Is my car still dent free anyway?! There was a lady, about 60 years old watching too. The van driver wound down her window asking us for help. Pushing wouldn't help we could only give her what we thought would be sound advice: keep in low gear, go slow! She did and we watched (& cringed) but she made it. Took up the whole road from left to right and took her time, but she made it. And most importantly she made it past MY car! Alex and I walked back down the hill with the lady and I explained about my car dilemma. It was obvious that I wouldn't be able to actually drive it but I was worried about its position on the hill. We got to my car and met up with a guy. I said to the guy 'what do you reckon the chances are of my car being in one piece tomorrow'? And he said 'none'. I told him that I have to do something. So, we decided that I should try and get it up on to the grass verge. They looked after Alex whilst I attempted this. I tried going forward up on to the curb but failed, so I reversed et voila! It worked. We spoke some more and still came to the conclusion that considering what we had seen with cars trying to drive up and down the hill, my car still was vulnerable but I had done all that I can do. I thanked them profusely, left them and made my way home.

I'm sat here now wondering if my car is in one piece but...

Tonight I look outside and the sky is orange. It seems like a Christmas card scene, it's bright, it's sensual, it's calm and it's glowing like a lantern has lit up my back garden and it will never get dark.

Snow is magic.

And

Today I scored many mummy's points :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow of course

Think this area and Benfleet have been very unlucky today, the front stalled in Basildon, the Downs and the Medway shield blocked the late afternoon gig, then we got a little bit early evening but everything else has been either 5 miles east or 10 miles North.

Yeah must have been me then when I mentioned yesterday about being our 4th year of snow events

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Is it just me or is that precipitation heading through dover towards other areas of east kent?, seems to be coming out of france :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I really don't believe it, as that BLOB looks to be heading around the Medway area again (Though I don't blame it as it's kind of rough in parts tease.gif )

it need to swing some more for us to get in the frame here, but by then I fear it may track North.

aggressive.gif

Yep someones turned on the Medway Snow Shield again, it's quite remarkable how we've ended up in clear slots all day long! - LOL at the fireworks on your weather widget!

The way I feel as it stands is that the opposite of what I was feeling around 12pm-

Another couple of hours with winds recurving- its not quite good for london YET,,,

S

Do you that ever advancing band of snow will head southwest?

Posted

Might have to sit on the fence for a while,not going to rush into any wild predictions lol

I know its off topic but my late brother called Herne Bay cripple creak, so if im in HB or see the name it reminds me of what a star he was.

snow easing off

temp 0.02c

Posted

So true! Am now on iPod in bed next to sleeping hubby, so now lamppost watching for me. Any ideas on more snowfall overnight for either Rochester or Ramsgate? Have to get up to visit mother in law at 7 but I can stay in bed if the roads look iffy :-)

My missus is watching Silent Witness.....so not a word from her for an hour..!!!

Posted

can someone answer my dumb question please why is the NE radar have the ppn moving in a different direction to the wind direction being shown on XCW(or can someone advise a better wind direction website) thanks in advance

Not an expert but the ppn is probably being pushed by steering winds at a different level to those shown by XCW

Posted

Lashing down in Basildon now.

Intensity has really picked up!

Jason

Edit eased back agin now... Going to be one of those nights

Edited by Jason M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

S

thanks steve, when do you think it would be good for nw london if you don't mind me asking?

Posted

Is it just me or is that precipitation heading through dover towards other areas of east kent?, seems to be coming out of france biggrin.png

Not worried, dont care where it comes from as long as it gets here!

Posted

That is one Huuuuge area of precip moving out of France! Only just zoomed out on the radar nearly had a shock!

Posted

Can now confirm all grass has been covered, thats the definition of a proper snowfall.

But the best thing is this covering could last anywhere from 2 to 7 days+ rather than 24 hours!!!