Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 19:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

A fabled Blackwater streamer? blum.gif

Ah yes, I lived in Tillingham in the late 80s / early 90s and well remember a colossal amount of snow - with the hedgerows in place, the high winds basically filled up the roads in between them. Drifting snow covered the window on our side door and we had to dig / shove our way out. Just amazing. 1988 or 1991?

Posted

Well given the wind is going to be shifting steadily over the next few hours, its going to be interesting to see how this evolves, could see it spray most of S.Essex, N.Kent and maybe further inland as well as the winds shift through the early hours.

I think you'll be getting more snow tonight Paul...you'll be pleased to hear!

Need that shift, all that convective snow in the estuary is piling up, if it came west that would be great for everyone! Remember that was my dream earlier!

Posted

-1.4 here with -2.1c dew point... Pretty much confirmed an ice day here! :)

Great snow, about 9cm - can't wait to get out there and play in it tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Need that shift, all that convective snow in the estuary is piling up, if it came west that would be great for everyone! Remember that was my dream earlier!

You got anything falling yet Paul?

Posted

Great pics btw Blackie - you deserved to win that prize. That poor little baby should have been wearing a hat though; might have to find mine for this weekend!

Thanks BG :) It was -25C when I took that photo - on an island inside the Arctic Circle in Nunavut, Canada, in February. The sea was frozen and I was taken on a snowmobile ride out to an iceberg trapped in the sea ice. Amazing sight. The Inuit lady was actually the front office manager for the "hotel" where I was staying. It only had six rooms; you shared rooms with strangers and there were no en-suite facilities. And there were polar bears all round the island. Sadly the skin of a dead polar bear drying over the outside bannisters of the hut next to the hotel was the only one I saw, although next day when I was taken seal hunting (thankfully the Inuit guide never caught one) there were polar bear tracks everywhere. Very scary when a glove I had taken off was blown out of my grip while I was taking pictures while being towed on a kamatiq (sled) behind the snowmobile, and the guide left me in the middle of nowehere for 20 minutes while he went back to find it! Anyway, I digress. Back to lamppost watching...:)

Posted

Snow still falling here, this is what we are upto currently.............

Well i would say you're beating us slightly here, paths are covered but not the roads and grass still looks a little patchy. I wouldnt mind driving out to wallasea i'm sure its getting the heavier stuff there but i dont think the missus would appreciate...

Posted

It is indeed shifting west but further North aggressive.gifrofl.gif FFS Just shift easterly down here ya nuggett!

The heavy stuff is only about 7 miles to my east in Wakering! Grrrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Well i would say you're beating us slightly here, paths are covered but not the roads and grass still looks a little patchy. I wouldnt mind driving out to wallasea i'm sure its getting the heavier stuff there but i dont think the missus would appreciate...

haha, cant you sneak out? :)

Posted

You got anything falling yet Paul?

Oh you know, just the dandruff for a change!

Weather Gods hate me this winter

On the plus side that means loadsa EF5's this year in the USA! Woohoo

Slowly but surely that PPN will make it over our region.. Probs getting us all TBH hopefully will be fed by the Thames and North Sea... Then we have Sunday... I got 7.1MM of PPN for Sunday so another 10cm... Looks good for all of us over the next few days.. Still coming down here heavier bursts mixed in.. Approaching 16hrs of snow..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

I'm really hoping this talk of a streamer happens, I'm up for work @ 4am and would like to go back to bed if its really bad!!! What's the chances of this actually happening.im in Gravesend so would it affect me?

Posted

Could 2013 really be the year people talk about in 2050 when snow is a distant memory and people sunbathe in January!!