Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Perpetual snizzle here ! Been falling for at least 24 hours now, so every time someone walks down the lane within 30 mins or so there's a fresh white dusting over the footprints. And yet there's hardly been any perceptible change to the overall depth (around 3-4 cms), and there definitely hasn't been any thaw up here, temp hasn't been above freezing for a few days now, currently -1.1C

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

Wind come up big time all out of the blue,,,,straight easterly

Posted

Pennine 10 Foot Drifts. I'm close to you in Upper Longwood (about 620 ft ASL). Agree re: snizzle! A good 1-2 degrees colder here than town centre! Whats your view on this latest 'event' for us?

Edited by brachetthecub

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow !!!!

Its back in mosborough(sheffield) :) only snizzle but its gone very cold and a bit windy. Just off for a quick sledge with my daughter so will be back later love reading this forum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Pennine 10 Foot Drifts. I'm close to you in Upper Longwood (about 620 ft ASL). Agree re: snizzle! A good 1-2 degrees colder here than town centre! Whats your view on this latest 'event' for us?

A bit uncertain Brachet, we may be a little too far west to catch the 'main event', although we should see something. And the forecasts over the past 24 hrs have moved the snow band progressively further west. I think if the wind gets up enough it should push things far enough westwards for us to get in on the action. It's going to very much be a case of watching the radar as the front pushes north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

No movement in temperature now for many hours - +1.8°C with a DP of -1.0°C. Been outside walking the dogs and there is some on and off precip which amounts to frozen raindrops (not freezing rain - that is a whole different ball-game!) with the odd flake of snow. To me this says that there is a warmer layer above use here (perhaps mixing down?) that is melting the precipitation which then freezes again in the boundary layer. If this was not there then we would have pure snow. There has been no graupel or hail so the precip we are having is not convectional IMHO.

What all this amounts to (again in my view - feel free to disagree) is that there is a warm sector mixed in with the system coming from France and that this is aloft here at the moment and this is modifying whatever is falling from above that layer. Will this layer reach ground level and, if so what will happen? This is effectively the $6m question. However, my take on it is is, if the warm layer reaches the ground level we will get rain at lower altitudes, unless the evaporative cooling effect of the precipitation is enough to counteract the effects of the warm layer. I don't believe that the warm layer is all that warm at the mo (otherwise we would have had rain) and mixing works both ways remember, so this layer should cool too.

Inland the mixing will be more pronounced over the snowfields and, add this to altitude, and you should be alright for the white stuff. Worst case scenario, you may also get some frozen rain for a while but I reckon you guys will be alright. If I had to call it for here, I would say we may start off with sleet/frozen rain which then turns to snow as the precipitation increases in intensity. Further South, along the coast especially, this may not be enough to counteract the effects of the mixing air and you may and up with drizzle/rain turning to sleet.

This is only a guess mind and, for those further South, I would love to be wrong......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Gosh some downbeat posts on here! What's wrong with people!

Posted

Is the band to intensify before reacing here? Looking at the other regional threads there is already a few inches in southend but looking at this loop

http://meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

It doesnt seem to hold a lot for us in the north?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

we have snizzle here, there's a lovely line of light showers that run directly between hull and grimsby straight towards us :)

the PPN has intensified ahead of the main band earlier than the GFS had it, but it's forecast to pivot up and head straight for our area. it's currently heading in a NW direction..

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Some pics I took yesterday round foxhouse. Hathersage was a lot more snowy but couldn't find a spot to park up.

post-2404-0-43323900-1358679858_thumb.jp

post-2404-0-45217200-1358679865_thumb.jp

post-2404-0-30320300-1358679869_thumb.jp

Posted

Thanks Pennine! I've been in Huddersfield now for 15 years-from East Anglia originally-amazes me how much difference in this neck of the woods that elavation makes! If I look at the car temperature it is, without fail the roundabout in Marsh on New Hey Road (A640) where temp drops by a degree EVERY time! Strange!!!??? Just seen bbc 24 news-Thomas said up to 20cms in pennine areas-we'll see lol!

Edited by brachetthecub

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

We looking at a good dumping for Leeds then?

nothings ever certain, I'm afraid, but the signs are good at the moment. keep watching the radar and the updated weather reports...

Some pics I took yesterday round foxhouse. Hathersage was a lot more snowy but couldn't find a spot to park up.

I've still to take my usual 'snowy trees' shot :)

there's a local clay pigeon shoot that starts every sunday at around 10:30am, I tell you, they'll shoot in anything!!

Posted

Wall of your house?? That could have a slight affect.

Stick it snow and it will make you feel better. smile.png

Ps Few little flakes coming down here in Rotherham.

again, i like your thinking but its on garden wall, about 10 metres from house, ice on patio melting quicker now,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, lightning, wind, frost, any extreme

And it's raining :0(

whats the betting that the snow tonight will be marginal at best but mostly rain here in hull.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Thanks Pennine! I've been in Huddersfield now for 15 years-from East Anglia originally-amazes me how much difference in this neck of the woods that elavation makes! If I look at the car temperature it is, without fail the roundabout in Marsh on New Hey Road (A640) where temp drops by a degree EVERY time! Strange!!!??? Just seen bbc 24 news-Thomas said up to 20cms in pennine areas-we'll see lol!

It's like an imaginary snow line isn't it lol!! I really think we are in for a good dumping tonight I'd say minimum 10cm above the marsh snow line. There just looks to be so much precipitation feeding up from France, then add in the e/ ene winds and convection and that's a constant fall of moderate to heavy snowfall!! It will also aid us that once the front reaches us properly it will be dark so temps should lower a little.

Edited by The MilkyBarKid

Posted

It's like an imaginary snow line isn't it lol!! I really think we are in for a good dumping tonight I'd say minimum 10cm above the marsh snow line. There just looks to be so much precipitation feeding up from France, then add in the e/ ene winds and convection and that's a constant fall of moderate to heavy snowfall!! It will also aid us that once the front reaches us properly it will be dark so temps should lower a little.

And then tomorrow's temps rise and its as slushy mess.

Edited by allenar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

well its certainly not slushy here, still alot of snow around on roads, paths, cars, garden looks lovely and todays top up will just do nicely

:) dude where u from?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

And then tomorrow's temps rise and its as slushy mess.

Everywhere I've looked he temp for here will barely get above freezing so probably hold on to most of what we have/get!