Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 20/01/13 10z------------->

A.J

Posted

So very strange now. Temperature 2.4C and the drip, drip of a very slow thaw BUT it is still snowing and slightly heavier than before. Never had snow when it was this warm before. How does it happen? Upper air colder than down here?

Dew points and upper temperatures are playing a massive role today for the snow, surface temperatures only reflect the temperature around 2m from the ground... About 50/100m up, its more likely to be below freezing

Here we have temperatures of +0.9c and the sun is out, but now the temperatures are on the decrease once again as the sun is being blocked out more and more. Oh and still snowing

Edit: Areas such as Sussex, Surrey and Hampshire (Including IOW) may see the snow rates start to increase as the afternoon goes on as more PPN is appearing and the main band is starting to creep slowly N or NW.

SM

Edited by SnowMania

Posted

Been snowing in glos for the last few hours sticking on the old snowfall but not on the cars. Temp 0.8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

Talk about a rollercoaster! Hope it switches back soon. Frustrating to have this cold air around no ppn!

well the skynews has us under some snow lol

Posted

well i have been using my oregon scientific WMR100N for a while now and its saying its 1.9c out there, then i set up my vantage vue and its showing 0.0c, so this whole time iv been giving false data, sorry about that sad.png

Oh good old wmr100, mine is still going strong after many years

Does need a bit of tender care now and again. A bit of wd40 helps with the temp sensor and humidity readings when they slip off a bit, they do pick up a bit of moisture.

But yes its always good to check with other equipment or nearby stations.

Stopped snowing now in Gosport

0.1c, -1.7c dewpoint, 994.7hpa slightly falling, -2.6c wind chill and 90% humidity

Watching Chelsea v Arsenal on sky and its snowing well at Stamford Bridge

Edited by lettice

Posted

Thanks OMM, good to see in here again. Thankyou for your sound analysis too. hi.gif

Thanks GTLTW, been studying the wider picture trying to figure out what on earth we can expect this coming week with the confusing model outputs!

One form of precipitation I didn't mention was of course freezing rain/drizzle, I fear that's a possibility too in the coming days - deadly stuff I hope it doesn't come to that!

Temp here is now dropping back - down to about 0.5C, nearly had some sunshine an hour or so ago. Offshore winds are pulling the cold air down into this area at present, but with the new Atlantic system slowly edging NE towards us, I guess it's possible we might start to pick up a light drift off the Channel - that sort of situation is when freezing rain becomes a possibility. I shall need my spiked boots if that happens!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Had a lot of thaw today, even though the temp only reached 0.0C for a short while and we had steady light snow all morning. Temps dropping again now.

-0.1C (-2 with windchill), DP -3.5C and falling, humidity 78% and falling. Wind light, north-easterly.

Looks like some serious ice forming tonight.

Back to bleaching down all the surfaces where the animals have trailed in filthy snow...

Posted

Oh good old wmr100, mine is still going strong after many years

Does need a bit of tender care now and again. A bit of wd40 helps with the temp sensor and humidity readings when they slip off a bit, they do pick up a bit of moisture.

But yes its always good to check with other equipment or nearby stations.

Stopped snowing now in Gosport

0.1c, -1.7c dewpoint, 994.7hpa slightly falling, -2.6c wind chill and 90% humidity

Watching Chelsea v Arsenal on sky and its snowing well at Stamford Bridge

Where would i spray the wd40 to? inside it

Posted

This is a forecast I would like to bank! It's from yr.no, and the max precipitation amounts could give me over a foot of snow! And the least is still giving about 11cm!

post-18937-0-29561300-1358690935_thumb.j

Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Sunshine,

Rain today showing the precip regressing away from us! Literally backtracking..very disappointing temps also up to above freezing and snow thawing again..oh well spose we were lucky to get what we did!!

Posted

Where would i spray the wd40 to? inside it

yes just over the sensor not over the whole board, a light spray

you can just spray lightly at the top, without taking it apart, it finds its way in.

some have suggested an epoxy around the sensor, but im always wary that may affect the sensor

I did a few years ago find a large spider nestled in there.

Posted

Very many thanks to the people who answered my question about the higher temp and snow. Sun now shining weakly but still snowing lightly and temp has now dropped back to 1.8C The area of precipitation is slowly creeping back eastward on the coast here so I think soon the snow will stop for me. Been an enjoyable morning.

Posted

Just thought I'd update some folk of what the 06z GFS was showing from the morning.

Tomorrows event (even at less than 24 hours to go) is looking very interesting and unreliable in my opinion. Every model is showing something slightly different with PPN rates and Surface/DP temps.

Heres PPN charts (take with caution)

GFS:

post-9530-0-40562100-1358690583_thumb.pn post-9530-0-99384800-1358690818_thumb.gi

UKMO (0z)

post-9530-0-08389300-1358690690_thumb.gi

Awaiting the NAE currently, but both Support PPN around our area, just not everywhere. I suspect things would change.

Tuesday: again, another front will be pushing in from the Atlantic, but this one looks a little more active than Monday. But more crucially it appears to stall over the Dorset/Somerset, then eventually more PPN moves into SE areas. This is a sign of a Low developing somewhere in the Channel.

GFS:

post-9530-0-96331900-1358691042_thumb.pn post-9530-0-14728200-1358691093_thumb.gi

UKMO (0z)

post-9530-0-92484100-1358691155_thumb.gi

Uppers during this time will be favourable, even for Cornwall, but windward coasts (at this stage) may see something less wintry if we get an onshore flow setup.

Interesting times ahead!

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I'm on temperature watch now. Seems we could have a very cold night ahead... How low can we go?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Currently bordering on the front edge here in Newbury with some snow and blue patches both visible, however the Barometer trend remains downward. Looks like I scraped an ICE day with a Max of 0.0c and it is currently -0.1c with -1.1c DP, winds variable but currently from the NNW. The Barometer continues to fall slowly with the current reading being 994mb from a midnight high of 998mb. cold.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

I'm on temperature watch now. Seems we could have a very cold night ahead... How low can we go?

I'm going to guess aound -4C here, just because of the fact that today was 2-3C warmer than anticipated, but I think it may get a lot colder across some of the snow fields.

Current temps 0.8C - Didn't quite get an ice day here. :(

Edited by Sainsbo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Have received advisory from EA to expect some low overnight temps next few nights, River valley with snow cover at risk of impact from low temps for environment,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Could be an interesting NAE coming up for Tuesday morning peeps. Midnight Tuesday, very little accumulated PPN around the SW;

post-12721-0-22736100-1358692004_thumb.j

Yet, 12 hours later at midday Tuesday and we have accumulated PPN totals of 2mm-8mm across the W/Country;

post-12721-0-44646000-1358692116_thumb.j

Lets hope the NAE shows this falling as snow.

NB: Accumulated PPN charts come out an hour before other NAE charts. The full 12z NAE suite will not be out for another hour or so yet.

Posted

Just thought I'd update some folk of what the 06z GFS was showing from the morning.

Tomorrows event (even at less than 24 hours to go) is looking very interesting and unreliable in my opinion. Every model is showing something slightly different with PPN rates and Surface/DP temps.

Heres PPN charts (take with caution)

GFS:

post-9530-0-40562100-1358690583_thumb.pn post-9530-0-99384800-1358690818_thumb.gi

UKMO (0z)

post-9530-0-08389300-1358690690_thumb.gi

Awaiting the NAE currently, but both Support PPN around our area, just not everywhere. I suspect things would change.

Tuesday: again, another front will be pushing in from the Atlantic, but this one looks a little more active than Monday. But more crucially it appears to stall over the Dorset/Somerset, then eventually more PPN moves into SE areas. This is a sign of a Low developing somewhere in the Channel.

GFS:

post-9530-0-96331900-1358691042_thumb.pn post-9530-0-14728200-1358691093_thumb.gi

UKMO (0z)

post-9530-0-92484100-1358691155_thumb.gi

Uppers during this time will be favourable, even for Cornwall, but windward coasts (at this stage) may see something less wintry if we get an onshore flow setup.

Interesting times ahead!

SM

Thanks for that :) I'm hoping for a stall over Somerset!! Although those charts there didn't seem to show any snow over me for that stall, at this time so many things can change I'm not worrying to much!

Could be an interesting NAE coming up for Tuesday morning peeps. Midnight Tuesday, very little accumulated PPN around the SW;

post-12721-0-22736100-1358692004_thumb.j

Yet, 12 hours later at midday Tuesday and we have accumulated PPN totals of 2mm-8mm across the W/Country;

post-12721-0-44646000-1358692116_thumb.j

Lets hope the NAE shows this falling as snow.

NB: Accumulated PPN charts come out an hour before other NAE charts. The full 12z NAE suite will not be out for another hour or so yet.

Yes please! That 8 is right by me :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

A few flakes blowing around again, but don't expect anything to come of it as the edge of the ppn according to the radar is moving further away to the north-east. The icicles have stopped dripping though!

Pressure 994mb and falling.

Posted

This is a forecast I would like to bank! It's from yr.no, and the max precipitation amounts could give me over a foot of snow! And the least is still giving about 11cm!

Hi what app is that and o you know which model data it uses?

Cheers

Marc

Posted

still snowing lightly here but only settling on previous snow its now 0.9c DP -2.5. Did go up to 2.3c now falling off rapidly.

Is it just me or is the ppn building on the back edge towards Gloucester?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Some light snowfall for tomorrow morning for Cornwall, stretching along the south coast;

post-12721-0-09130400-1358693430_thumb.jpost-12721-0-87384000-1358693435_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Only a little snizzle here today...Met office for Radstock is showing snow Tues/Wed... Looking forward to that....