Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 20/01/13 10z------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Not sure if this has been posted but this is the current NAE for midnight mon/tues. Though it might put a smile on conrwalls face biggrin.png

post-18883-0-56844400-1358687082_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

seems to have been downgraded somewhat. Yelverton looked in for a good fall but now light snow mainly.

Yep major let down at the moment. Looks like the areas of ppn are heading into the channel missing us, so as the ppn is going to be minimal or very light it will tend to be sleety and rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

I am sure we will wake up to a covering in the morning!!! :-p

hope so.. never done cartwheels on a covering of snow before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

:-) cheers!!!

back on the rollercoaster the NAE changes every run!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Yep major let down at the moment. Looks like the areas of ppn are heading into the channel missing us, so as the ppn is going to be minimal or very light it will tend to be sleety and rain

I guess just hope they're a touch wrong but as it's so close now, you'd think they're probably right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Anyone else in the havant/Portsmouth area seeing a stark temperature rise? I'm nearly at +1c with the Dip drop sound appearing! Sun is slightly shinning through the snow and I'm guessing this is causing the increase

SM

yes i went from my home for a ten min walk to my brothers went indoors had a chat for 15 mins came out and i felt a massive difference in temps but still light snow here but it could well turn to rain and wash away the rest.

im now on the hunt in the model outputs in some ways would like to see the risk of the alantic and relocation of the canadian vortex to see if greenland heights can settle the over all pattern giving us a reload from the northeast.

ive been very happy with the snowfall of recent days and will not be expecting tomorrows or tuesdays event to be anything for us on the southcoast but certainly the rest of the country north and east of here could well be in for a few events this week.

but certainly far to marginal for sunny costa del south to get anymore after today.

but this dont mean its over not yet although the ssw would now be subsiding with the likely outcome being a strengthening vortex cooling strat but im hoping im wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Snow stopped here, only dusting but it did snow very lightly for about 2hrs this morning up to midday.

Posted

Afternoon folks!

Bit of a messy picture here in Southampton, started light snow around 9.15 but it's all but stopped, perhaps just about 1cm on the car windscreens. Pavements very treacherous with a thin layer of new snow on top of ice.

Just on the edge of the snow area here, it MAY push back a little further W but most of the movement is NW. I guess those of you in Essex and Kent who missed out Friday might have made up for it a bit today.

Very messy picture of the synoptic front, with a complex LP area swirling around over the country the next few days, we could literally get anything - snow, ice, fog, sleet, frost, snow grains.......I suspect the cold air supply of the near continent may get cut off, at least temporarily, but the surface air over much of the UK is so darn cold, so we might hold onto mostly snow for the time being.

Beyond that, I think if some of the models are to be believed, there is still a risk of more substantial snow later this week, a lot depends on how much our cold pool warms up in the meantime. Still a lot to watch though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Liking my updated Met Office forecast for Tuesday;

post-12721-0-70834900-1358687754_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms

Light but steady snowfall here in Reading, has intensified a little in the last 20 mins.. We have had about 1.0 cm so far. Temp 0.1C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Liking my updated Met Office forecast for Tuesday;

post-12721-0-70834900-1358687754_thumb.j

Yeah the meto app is showing light snow all day here for Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Afternoon folks!

Bit of a messy picture here in Southampton, started light snow around 9.15 but it's all but stopped, perhaps just about 1cm on the car windscreens. Pavements very treacherous with a thin layer of new snow on top of ice.

Just on the edge of the snow area here, it MAY push back a little further W but most of the movement is NW. I guess those of you in Essex and Kent who missed out Friday might have made up for it a bit today.

Very messy picture of the synoptic front, with a complex LP area swirling around over the country the next few days, we could literally get anything - snow, ice, fog, sleet, frost, snow grains.......I suspect the cold air supply of the near continent may get cut off, at least temporarily, but the surface air over much of the UK is so darn cold, so we might hold onto mostly snow for the time being.

Beyond that, I think if some of the models are to be believed, there is still a risk of more substantial snow later this week, a lot depends on how much our cold pool warms up in the meantime. Still a lot to watch though.

Thanks OMM, good to see in here again. Thankyou for your sound analysis too. hi.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

From Friday 18/1/2013 Snow.

post-182-0-04033800-1358688120_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-75804800-1358688169_thumb.jpg

Posted

but this dont mean its over not yet although the ssw would now be subsiding with the likely outcome being a strengthening vortex cooling strat but im hoping im wrong.

The full effects of the SSW haven't yet been felt, and won't do until probably around next week (near the end of Jan) so even though there may well be a milder incursion, there could very easily still be more to come!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Temperature 0.2C and rising here, it has brightened up somewhat too. I think the odd windblown flake I noticed earlier is my maximum for todaypleasantry.gif Pretty close. still snow covered here, but just down the road by the sea in Freshwater Bay it is green grass and no snow, the sea has done its work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Just put the footy on, nice seeing the snow coming down at stamfordbridge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snow

Hmmm... updated Meto forecast for my location now has heavy snow for tomorrow lunchtime. That's a big change from earlier. Could easily change back to nothing again.

Posted

So very strange now. Temperature 2.4C and the drip, drip of a very slow thaw BUT it is still snowing and slightly heavier than before. Never had snow when it was this warm before. How does it happen? Upper air colder than down here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

So very strange now. Temperature 2.4C and the drip, drip of a very slow thaw BUT it is still snowing and slightly heavier than before. Never had snow when it was this warm before. How does it happen? Upper air colder than down here?

It was snowing at 4.4°C here on Friday morning although it wasn't settling. Within 30 minutes the temperature plunged and it began to settle. This is down to evaporative cooling or isothermic drag.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Actually it can snow with an air temp up to 4c, depending on all the other factors like 850s, dew points etc etc, I remember hearing about the 4c limit on a bbc weather forecast once.