Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion 20/01/13 18z ------>

A.J

Posted

Just been in the back garden to measure the snow on the table, which has been untouched since Thursday night.

A touch under 8inches of level snow, so that goes down as one of the best snowfalls in recent times here.

Posted

All but 1 of those are in the South East, typical. that's the way things are in this country, the rest of the UK does not exist in the paparazzi mindset. If London gets 0.5cm and Northampton gets 20cm the press will always go for London.

What makes me laugh even more is that they have a picture of cathedrel lanes shopping center on the fron page of bbc news england. On the story of snow and ice how ironic. Hows the snow looking in northampton as step daughter travels to the uni from cov on train daily. I told here not to bother today.

Posted

What makes me laugh even more is that they have a picture of cathedrel lanes shopping center on the fron page of bbc news england. On the story of snow and ice how ironic. Hows the snow looking in northampton as step daughter travels to the uni from cov on train daily. I told here not to bother today.

I live about 200 yards from the UNI. also the wife works there.

Deep snow around this area, the grounds have not been gritted in the uni. good job she stayed at home.

Edited by lancs_northants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Well it`s been quite a few days for a lot of us.I hope you all had some time to get out and walk, sledge,build snowmen etc in the snow -as a lot of you have said it looks lovely out there.

I hope those who travel for work etc get there safely although i guess there will be some problems,especially side roads.

We have been fortunate to have seen 2 notable snow events in 3 days in the Midlands and that`s not usual for this part of the world.

For my location i was hit by 2 events both giving me 10cms so by this morning i had 20cm lying.

Some photos.taken with just my cheap Phone,lol.

post-2026-0-23731500-1358772726_thumb.jppost-2026-0-84296800-1358772743_thumb.jppost-2026-0-06203500-1358772759_thumb.jppost-2026-0-75759700-1358772775_thumb.jppost-2026-0-56366100-1358772786_thumb.jp

I took measurements on the undisturbed and level areas -one on the garden table and one on the lawn.

Let`s not worry about any potential thaw at the weekend coming we have a few days now of lying snow still-possibly with some sharp frosts later this week.

Being retired i will have some time to get out there for walks and take more photos further afield-this time with my proper camera.

Anyway enjoy it while it`s here and take care everyone.

Posted

I live about 200 yards from the UNI. also the wife works there.

Deep snow around this area, the grounds have not been gritted in the uni. good job she stated at home.

Cheers lancs. hope its a bit better tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

light snow here since 9.30am, but just the odd flake now, trees still white, but expect a slight thaw now slightly brighter skies

Posted

light snow here since 9.30am, but just the odd flake now, trees still white, but expect a slight thaw now slightly brighter skies

Same here, It's starting to look a little brighter, hope the cloud cover goes, nice hard frost if it does.

Posted

Still light snow here but the brighter skies now approaching! Would expect temps to plummet tonight smile.png

Excellent if that could happen - the one thing missing from this cold spell so far.

If most of us do indeed miss out on some extra snow tomorrow, then plunging night-time temps would be a nice consolation :)

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It's been between 1.5 °C and 2.0 °C here for the last hour, two degrees warmer than forecast, with a slow but steady thaw and icy slush all over the place. If it does freeze hard tonight, getting around tomorrow will be horrible.

Posted

Can somebody explain why some think plunging temps are "excellent" ?

I can understand why you like it to snow (even if i dont) , but surely the only think plunging temperatures bring is danger and misery to all ?

Edited by mr benn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Can somebody explain why some think plunging temps are "excellent" ?

I can understand why you like it to snow (even if i dont) , but surely the only think plunging temperatures bring is danger and misery to all ?

When it's very cold, it's usually also dry and clear. When I have to go somewhere, I'd much rather have powdery snowcover and cloudless skies at -5 °C (as seen at times in 2010) than sleet falling onto semi-frozen slush at +1 °C. The latter is more dangerous and looks ugly.

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

affternoon peeps. We had lite snow earllyer a bit of thaw taking place on roof tops but snow stil there on the ground.

Posted

Light flurries on and off today. Skies now clearing to the west.

Posted

Brightened up for the first time in what feels like forever, looks like a slow thaw through the week before milder weather properly takes over at the weekend.

Been a brilliant few days of weather, so nice to have a decent fall of snow not get washed away the day after or even the same day (4th Feb 2012 im looking at you).